Retained List And Squad | Page 2 | Vital Football

Retained List And Squad

Definitely wouldn't want to see Palmer leave. He has made an invaluable contribution especially in the second half of the season.
I seem to recall murmurs about him being unhappy at his lack of starts, so not beyond possible that he might want to leave.

I seem to recall murmurs about him being unhappy at his lack of starts, so not beyond possible that he might want to leave.

Yes this is a possibility and we may get offers for other players. But unless he wants to go or we get one of those too good to turn down offers he should be retained here

Updated following Neal Eardley's new contract:

The current squad is (contract date):

Goalkeepers (3):
Josh Vickers (2019)
Paul Farman (2019)
Richard Walton (out of contract)

Defenders (5):
Neal Eardley (2020)
James Wilson (2020)
Sam Habergham (2019)
Luke Waterfall (2019)
Sean Long (out of contract)

Midfielders (10):
Michael Bostwick (2020)
Harry Anderson (2020)
Lee Frecklington (2020)
Ellis Chapman (2020)
Tom Pett (2020)
Alex Woodyard (2019)
Elliott Whitehouse (June 2017 contract term not disclosed, believed to be 2019)
Nathan Arnold (October 2017 contract term not disclosed, believed to be 2019)
Billy Knott (out of contract)
Cameron Stewart (out of contract)

Forwards (3):
Matt Rhead (2019)
Matt Green (2019)
Ollie Palmer (2019)

Total: 21
In contract: 17 (including Whitehouse and Arnold)

Palmer i believe has moved his family here so i very much doubt he wants away and moving again this summer.

If all the contracted players stay then I think we need cover at RB, CH and LB. In midfield I would like to see a creative midfielder brought in. We may have that in Freck and Tom so may not be needed. Up front we need to play Matt Green in his best position as a striker not out on the wing. So bring in another 20 goal a season mobile forward to play up front with Matt.

The summer transfer window opened yesterday, by the way.

It closes at 5pm on Wednesday 9 August, four days after the season begins.

Standard loans may still take place until 31 August.

Would like to see Long stay but won't be surprised if he goes to another L2 club.

You know, I don't really rate him.

Just doesn't do the defensive stuff as well as I'd like and I'm always of the opinion that is what defenders need to do first and foremost: anything else ( a la Mr Eardley) is a bonus.

Oh and sign Danny Rowe on a permanent deal. I think Harry is good enough if he has someone like Rowe to play with.

Oh and sign Danny Rowe on a permanent deal. I think Harry is good enough if he has someone like Rowe to play with.
I think Ipswich paid approx £135000 for Rowe so i doubt they want less than that but who knows!

I heard Rowe is a done deal, but you never know until the signature is on the contract. I agree he would be a good signing, he looked the best of the loanee wingers to me.

Last night highlighted our shortcomings. The squad is too small and can't cope with injuries and we are lacking quality in key postions. The board has to back Danny in the transfer market. To get automatic promotion you have to have a striker who scores over 20 in a season . Nobody can score those goals without a playmaking midfielder behind them to create the chances.Main priority has to be a striker and a creative midfielder. Serious cover also needed in defence . It is fantastic news that Eardley has signed and we must ensure Habergham gets properly fit this preseason. Hopefully both Frecklington and Pett can also have good preseasons and settle in better for next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least eight players leaving
, but hat would mean bringing around 12 players in to get the squad up to a more desirable 22 plus players.So Danny is going to be e very busy man.

You know, I don't really rate him.

Just doesn't do the defensive stuff as well as I'd like and I'm always of the opinion that is what defenders need to do first and foremost: anything else ( a la Mr Eardley) is a bonus.
I thought he was ok last season and a more than adequate back-up.

In his appearances this season, I don't think he'll make the step up and he's now being compared to Eardley, which doesn't really favour him either!

I hate to say this, but we now need to be ruthless.

Walton will be gone, Farman allowed to leave.

Sean Long will be gone.

Nathan Arnold, Billy Knott and Cameron Stewart will all be gone.

Of the forwards, we may keep all three and add one.

I hate to say this, but we now need to be ruthless.

Walton will be gone, Farman allowed to leave.

Sean Long will be gone.

Nathan Arnold, Billy Knott and Cameron Stewart will all be gone.

Of the forwards, we may keep all three and add one.

Plus 2 more I would suggest.

We may be about to say goodbye to a few stalwarts, a few heroes of the very recent past. Some people may find that hard to accept, but we must look to the future and not be sentimental about the next steps.