refunds - last season and this | Page 2 | Vital Football

refunds - last season and this

The Dover chairman said he has ring fenced this season’s season ticket money and will return it to the fans when Dover fold in two weeks.
He hasn’t used it to keep the club running.
Suspect that is bull$h1t.

When a company goes in to administration, you cannot, by law, make preferential payments.

It won’t mate and Parmenter knows that.
They will fold in two weeks according to him.
No fans = no revenue = no club.
Only the PL or the PFA or the government can rescue the situation.
None of them look likely at the moment.
They will be the first of many.
I expect they will mothball the ground and look to salvage something when the time comes.

I don't really know the story of Dover, so was just assumed it was about money. I just wonder if the season ticket money can be used to keep them going until someone gets their ass in gear and come up with a solution. The season ticket holders could then maybe have their season 2021. I'm probably comparing Gills to Dover, which I shouldn't be doing. All clubs are different, but it should really be "we're all in this together"

If the season ticket money is only enough until Christmas and then the club is likely to fold then there is a certain moral question of whether or not it is acceptable to spend the ST when technically insolvent. If you know you are going to fold regardless then is it better to stop spending any cash so that upon folding there are more assets in which to pay off any creditors?

I do agree with you, but maybe I have blind optimism that someone will come up with a plan to keep clubs alive. Lots of ideas, but clubs are going to the wall already, and something should be done now.

Suspect that is bull$h1t.

When a company goes in to administration, you cannot, by law, make preferential payments.

If the company goes into liquidation then no. Secured creditors get first dabs and then all the unsecured creditors fight over the bones.

If it goes into administration with the intent of keeping the business afloat then preferential treatment is a thing as it depends on negotiating with the various creditors how much of the credit they are prepared to write off for some payment.

Under the Football Creditors Rule maintained by the football authorities, clubs are supposed to pay off debts to footballing entities before any left over money is offered to non-football related creditors to much criticism from the likes of HMRC.

I do agree with you, but maybe I have blind optimism that someone will come up with a plan to keep clubs alive. Lots of ideas, but clubs are going to the wall already, and something should be done now.

Well any wealthy fans of Dover now have a 2 week deadline in which to make themselves known then.

I doubt the FA and sub authorities will bother to do much unless it is a big historic club in trouble. The FA will probably argue it can't afford to prop up all clubs so will probably allow a number of smaller clubs, especially those in the non-league, to fold and then start to save clubs once the dead bodies of clubs start to pile up.

3 days isn’t really ‘bad service’. I think that’s pretty good. Are you expecting an instance response 24-7? Did it cause you any major issues having to wait a couple of days for a resolution?

I and several others to my knowledge have been waiting 10 days and counting. Two potential ifollow games and a third tonight that I won't pay for till it's sorted and another home game looming. Will we be double charged again? Not good enough.

WXGill says he has bought a s/tkt for this season aswell as last season, so he is probably owed in the region of £500. I don't know or want to know his circumstances but if I had financial difficulties at the moment (furlough or redundancy looming, struggling with the mortgage, kids etc) I would also want some kind of rebate.

And still no guidance from Scally, the blokes a bad joke.

Nothing about this years season ticket (other than free iFollow home games), next years (probably purchased by quite a few) and even less about last years.

Many on this board said give him time, how much? When was last season cancelled?

If the season ticket money is only enough until Christmas and then the club is likely to fold then there is a certain moral question of whether or not it is acceptable to spend the ST when technically insolvent. If you know you are going to fold regardless then is it better to stop spending any cash so that upon folding there are more assets in which to pay off any creditors?
Or they spend the money to extend the clubs life whilst hoping for some kind of bailout solution. Or would you rather we go bust because we haven't used the money and then a bailout comes along not long after?

WXGill says he has bought a s/tkt for this season aswell as last season, so he is probably owed in the region of £500. I don't know or want to know his circumstances but if I had financial difficulties at the moment (furlough or redundancy looming, struggling with the mortgage, kids etc) I would also want some kind of rebate.
My wife and i have a spare £1500 a year once all costs are considered. I choose to spend my spare amount on football.

My ticket was £580. I cannot afford that to be "written off".

I and several others to my knowledge have been waiting 10 days and counting. Two potential ifollow games and a third tonight that I won't pay for till it's sorted and another home game looming. Will we be double charged again? Not good enough.

I don’t disagree. 10 days feels unsatisfactory but I imagine that you are not the only person to have had an issue and it will take some time to resolve the problem. I hope that in the meantime iFollow have acknowledged your enquiry.

To be honest I am looking at this totally differently to you WX. I am looking to make a donation to the club because there is no way I want to see my club out of business. PDPS may be on a good salary but also feel that maybe he is working harder this year than any other and come May 2021 could well have earnt his corn.

Requesting a refund which would then put the club out of business and cost the people associated it their livelihoods is not something I am prepared to do.

I think you're missing the point that we are unlikely to have a club to support if he does give out refunds. Are you happy to risk that? If you genuinely need your money back that much then fair enough, its no business of mine, but lets be clear of the consequences.

Scally said on radio just yesterday, with out income from fans or any help from the higher leagues, we have barely enough money to last us until Xmas. I'd bet scally includes the ST money he received in that forecast. That means if he offers refunds we will go bust even earlier. Are you really that keen to get your money back, if this is the consequence?

I know i wouldn't want my refund at the expense of having a club to support, unless i was literally struggling to put food on the table. Everyone's different, but that's my view. I think it's a particularly bad time to make your post to be honest, after we've just found out we will now continue to have no actual income for a considerable period of time past October, putting the club even further at risk.

However, you do make a good point about Scally and his remuneration. One that's been made a few times by plenty of other people though, including me.

How Scally can go public on the radio claiming poverty, and expect fans to forego their ST money, without making any public statement in regards to his own huge salary he is taking from the club, is wearing very thin. When he is asking less well off fans to donate their money to the club, he simply must make public how much he is/isn't taking from the club. I am surprised no radio shows have asked him.

I definitely will not be after any kind of refund, I’m over 18 and know when I buy anything at a discount price it could be risky.

I struggle with this topic.

On the one hand - the season ticket money is, no doubt, vital to the survival of the club.

On the other hand - with any other ‘normal’ purchase the consumer would expect a refund when a service is not provided or a product is defective.

I suspect that Scally is ‘holding out’ for as long as possible to see how the situation develops. It’s clearly very fluid - the situation is changing daily and nobody can predict what will happen with any certainty. Reckon he is waiting to see what comes from government support, HMRC ‘time to pay’ arrangements and any package from the Premier League.

I don't mind supporting the club BUT NOT his wages.
That may be the feeling of many STs.

No-one wants to see GFC fold.

But if long-standing, loyal supporters continue to be disregarded (e.g. not even a discussion about refunds or compensatory "freebies")
....there may only one thing for it !

Debtors, i.e. Season Ticket Holders, put the club into administration ...... and then buy the club ???
I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of supporters who can run a business - AND maintain good customer relations....
...without taking out loads in salary.

(ducks for cover....:utv:)

If we only have enough money until Christmas with no fans present, given their return was in no way 'guaranteed' in October (and these would likely only have been season ticket holders who had already paid up front anyway), makes we wonder how wise some of the recent signings have been.