refunds - last season and this | Page 3 | Vital Football

refunds - last season and this

That may be the feeling of many STs.

No-one wants to see GFC fold.

But if long-standing, loyal supporters continue to be disregarded (e.g. not even a discussion about refunds or compensatory "freebies")
....there may only one thing for it !

Debtors, i.e. Season Ticket Holders, put the club into administration ...... and then buy the club ???
I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of supporters who can run a business - AND maintain good customer relations....
...without taking out loads in salary.

(ducks for cover....:utv:)

Bagsy CEO.

I’ll appoint Wayne as CFO. He’ll be able to uncover What happened to the £8m.

What is frustrating about this is that a few words from Scally would defuse most of the anger, resentment or whatever the right words are.

"I will be taking a much reduced remuneration package this year as we are all in this together".

The fact that he hasn't speaks volumes.

Bottom line is he did touch on refunds in he much awaited letter. It was something along the lines of "I don't yet know how to provide some recognition to the fans".

I interpret that as you aren't getting one but I might give you something else.

I would find it so much easier to waive any ill feeling towards refunds if he did and like most I want to help the club - I just want to feel that we are truly all making sacrifices

What is frustrating about this is that a few words from Scally would defuse most of the anger, resentment or whatever the right words are.

"I will be taking a much reduced remuneration package this year as we are all in this together".

The fact that he hasn't speaks volumes.

Bottom line is he did touch on refunds in he much awaited letter. It was something along the lines of "I don't yet know how to provide some recognition to the fans".

I interpret that as you aren't getting one but I might give you something else.

I would find it so much easier to waive any ill feeling towards refunds if he did and like most I want to help the club - I just want to feel that we are truly all making sacrifices
This is the real heart of the problem.

Plus I do give Scally some credit for his comments in the Mirror yesterday "I'd even put up with the abuse just to have fans back". 😂👍🏻

He does have a decent sense of humour. I always liked his story about all the fans chanting "we want Scally our" and he looked over to his dear old mum who was joining in, not knowing what it meant.

Have to admit I wouldn't put any more than my current ST into the club. It all comes down to trust.

Looking here and on FB the large number of fans saying 'I don't want my money back, BUT the club must offer me a refund' is at odds with their desire not to see the club fold.
WX is clear he wants some of his money back and that is fine as he, like many, has paid for a specific product that has either not been delivered (last season) or the ifollow alternative is unnacceptable.
I suspect many others either DO want their money back and prefer not to announce that on Gills fans social media. Others maybe want to make life as uncomfortable for the chairman as they possibly can, knowing that the Covid crisis has made him far more vulnerable.
Fans need to do what they think sits best with their conscience. Fan v family support is the dilemma, but just be honest about it if you are posting an opinion..

Looking here and on FB the large number of fans saying 'I don't want my money back, BUT the club must offer me a refund' is at odds with their desire not to see the club fold.

I see it very differently vambo its about being considered and not just ignored. We did this in detail on the lack of comms thread its about scally not simply ignoring the issue.

There are so many ways he could have done it better and that in my view would have diffused this situation that was not of his or our* making.

*unless you ate pangolins / bats while on holiday in China.

I see it very differently vambo its about being considered and not just ignored. We did this in detail on the lack of comms thread its about scally not simply ignoring the issue.

There are so many ways he could have done it better and that in my view would have diffused this situation that was not of his or our* making.

*unless you ate pangolins / bats while on holiday in China.
The problem is that i just dont think many fans are getting the severity of this situation. Its no longer about PR from scally. Its about saving the club. We could have no club to support come christmas.

The problem is that i just dont think many fans are getting the severity of this situation. Its no longer about PR from scally. Its about saving the club. We could have no club to support come christmas.
Us and thousands of others AK.
It’s a dire situation for many clubs and it’s about time they spoke up.
Even sugar daddy clubs outside of the premier sky money cannot exist without match day income.

Im ok with funding the club but not the chairman.

Are you okay with funding a chairman? Or just an issue with the chairman?

What about Dave Lewis’s £6.42m package which was announced in the height of the crisis? Are you happy to find that when you shop at Tesco?

What about Dave Lewis’s £6.42m package which was announced in the height of the crisis? Are you happy to find that when you shop at Tesco?

I know this was directed at wxgill and I take your point Trashbat but there is a central distance. I can choose another supermarket and I do, for just that reason. I have only one Gillingham FC and must deal with that.

I don't have any great issues with Scally; he has strengths and weaknesses much like a lot of other chairmen. I would say he's been very good with trying to protect the business to fight another day, communication not so good. It would have been good to hear him indicate what personal sacrifices he is making.

I know this was directed at wxgill and I take your point Trashbat but there is a central distance. I can choose another supermarket and I do, for just that reason. I have only one Gillingham FC and must deal with that.

I don't have any great issues with Scally; he has strengths and weaknesses much like a lot of other chairmen. I would say he's been very good with trying to protect the business to fight another day, communication not so good. It would have been good to hear him indicate what personal sacrifices he is making.

What about Tom Lawrence? I guess he is earning a wedge but it isn’t quite as transparent as Scally’s consultancy fee.

I’m not making a judgement either way. Just curious.

What about Tom Lawrence? I guess he is earning a wedge but it isn’t quite as transparent as Scally’s consultancy fee.

I’m not making a judgement either way. Just curious.
Didn't even know who he was until I looked it up.That office chair never gets warm surprised he is still there to be honest. Given the new stadium idea is almost certainly dead as monty python's parrot.
I wonder what he actually does?
Unless it is Scally who does next to nothing?

It would have been good to hear him indicate what personal sacrifices he is making.

The owner of my employer and the main directors all took pay cuts and reductions with the owner probably taking close to 80% when you consider he owns the building and stopped charging the company for rent. None of them needed to announce this fact to the staff in order to virtue signal the fact.

From speaking to other friends, a lot of other owners and directors of their firms have also taken various pay cuts and referral on payments without needing to publicly announcing it.

I can't off hand think of any other club whose chairman has publicly announced their intention to reduce or defer any salary that they'd be owed.

Even if he did come out and say he effectively took a 66% pay cut from last year's £300,000 consultancy fees, there would still be those who'd complain he was taking £100k too much in the circumstances.

In a couple of years time, assuming the club still exists, if the club accounts show he did take an effective pay cut, I wonder how many people being critical of him will acknowledge that he was with us when he said we are all in it together.

At the end of the day PDPS owns GFC and for the last 25 years this has been his job. Over this period of time he has borrowed heavily to develop the stadium and to get us into the Championship. The Championship years were the great but the people of Medway didn’t support the dream and pack Priestfield enabling GFC to kick on.
This then resulted in our steady decline over 10 years whilst PDPS balanced the books and got us operating as a self financing business which I feel is where we are today.
Whatever PDPS pays himself in wages / consultancy/ dividends is what it is and isn’t going to change unless someone comes in with ridiculous amounts of funds and bank rolls us.
Until that day I believe PDPS will continue to keep GFC afloat whilst continuing to enjoy those benefits that come with the job.
I would rather have a club that is run correctly (other than the PR) than no club at all which worryingly enough is my biggest concern at present.

The issue is i don't think 300k is a fair wage to take when you expect customers to provide you indirectly with that money while the club is struggling financially.

The issue is i don't think 300k is a fair wage to take when you expect customers to provide you indirectly with that money while the club is struggling financially.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t £300k. I thought it was around £200k plus he borrowed £100k which would have to be paid back to the club.

Is £6.42m per year fair when Tesco’s customers will be struggling financially?

What about other GFC employees? I kind of understand why fans might not point the finger at player wages as they are essentially the ‘product’. But what about the other back-office staff / suppliers. I’d bet that the Finance Director earns more than £100k; the same for Tom Lawrence. All speculation, of course, because it isn’t very visible. But should they all be taking pay cuts too?

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t £300k. I thought it was around £200k plus he borrowed £100k which would have to be paid back to the club.

Is £6.42m per year fair when Tesco’s customers will be struggling financially?

What about other GFC employees? I kind of understand why fans might not point the finger at player wages as they are essentially the ‘product’. But what about the other back-office staff / suppliers. I’d bet that the Finance Director earns more than £100k; the same for Tom Lawrence. All speculation, of course, because it isn’t very visible. But should they all be taking pay cuts too?
For me if you earn 50k you can afford a pay cut. I agree about the Tesco man too.