PREMIER LEAGUE 2023/24 SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW | Page 623 | Vital Football

PREMIER LEAGUE 2023/24 SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW

I think 433 will give us the opportunity to give MGW a rest. He can be more of an impact sub and alternate the formation.
3 in middle way too narrow or way too exposed. 3151 or 3241 seems the call. Tho it can certainly be game/injury dependant, great to have those headaches

Coopers philosophy is an attacking back 3. I cant imagine him chagning that philosophy iif he has the options/players to play it and we have clearly brought those options in
I agree if Aurier is staying and we've signed tavares then they fookin need at least 3 centre backs covering for when they go rampaging forward

And our centre backs themselves need 3 there.

2 to slow the opponents down allowing 1 to get the tackle in!!!

Good answer

Wonder if Cooper was there last night.

People writing him off are being a bit unfair. How many managers has that poor kid had in four years? Probably doesnt know whether he is coming or going. Cooper will have a clear vision for him. Having played and been successful and seeing elanga shine should help his confidence.

Surely is a better than 50/50 odoi can push on with us?

I personally see 5 at the back with 2 wing backs as being an attacking formation myself.

One wing back breaks down the wing and the others shuffle across a bit?

And the one who breaks gets back as fast as they fookin can when we lose the ball

And/or one of the holding midfielders slots in whilst they rampage?

Whereas 4 at the back I feel the full backs have no freedom to get forward and also the 2 centre backs are exposed to pace without anyone to help

Last edited:
On Talksport Groves pointed out a moment in second half when one of the Chelsea attackers was running at pace at our centre backs that although Worrall made the actual tackle it was McKenna who slowed down the attacker that allowed worrall to actually get there

These guys are building partnerships at the back and have learnt how to defend together in this system at this level

No doubt boly was marking someone else same time to stop options for a pass

But having 3 of them clearly helps. They all help each other out against top level attackers with pace

But hence why I'm not as quick as others to want to change too much when what we have is working ok

And I don't care how good the midfield is I feel 3 centre backs and 2 wingbacks gives us a more solid platform and attacking options still rather than 4 at the back

Last edited:
I personally se 5 at the back with 2 wing backs as being an attacking formation myself.

One wing back breaks down the wing and the others shuffle across a bit?

And the one who breaks gets back as fast as they fookin can when we lose the ball

And/or one of the holding midfielders slots in whilst they rampage?

Whereas 4 at the back I feel the full backs have no freedom to get forward and then centre backs are exposed to pace without anyone to help

With the right personnel you can also have one of the centre-backs stepping out into midfield. From the limited clips we've seen it looks like Murillo could develop into that type of ball-playing defender.

I agree if Aurier is staying and we've signed tavares then they fookin need at least 3 centre backs covering for when they go rampaging forward

And our centre backs themselves need 3 there.

2 to slow the opponents down allowing 1 to get the tackle in!!!
i hate when we play 2 'holding' midfielders, always did. Basically cos i think holding means limited when its an average player. Obviously a bit different if its an experienced class player, like a casimiro type.
Sangare and Domingues are both capable of that role tho wed probably want Sangare bursting forward more regularly. Domingues far better 'quality' than Yates passing wise so I expect it to be him if that role if thats how we set up, with Yates keeping shape in centre mid with sangare and santos/managala/danilo and the wingbacks either side

On Talksport Groves pointed out a moment in second half when one of the Chelsea attackers was running at pace at our centre backs that although Worrall made the actual tackle it was McKenna who slowed down the attacker that allowed worrall to actually get there

These guys are building partnerships at the back and have learnt how to defend together in this system at this level

No doubt boly was marking someone else same time to stop options for a pass

But having 3 of them clearly helps. They all help each other out against top level attackers with pace

But hence why I'm not as quick as other to want to change too much when what we have is working ok
its working ok defending our own box but it wont work ok when we play in the oppositions half cos they simply have no pace between them. The 2 new signings will both change that. I can see Omobamidele getting in there sooner rather than later and Murillo bedded in slowly too

No chance we play a back 4 having got to where we are and competing and with the centre backs (and wingbacks) we have

Key to picking up points is not conceding

Not only are we conceding less with the current setup

We are also scoring more than enough.

If it ain't broke dont fix it Finbar?
Cooper will absolutely be using 4 at the back in certain games, and he's said that himself. He has already had to play the 3 CB's when he didn't want to (Likely Blades at home) as he had no other option.

With Niakhate now fit, and when settled Oma and Murillo we have pace in the CB areas to include in a back 3 or a CB pairing.

With the midfield options, I personally feel we need to have 3 in here, and we have 6 strong options. I remain convinced its Worrall, Yates and 9 others.

I am still on the fence with our WB's. I feel Aina is a cert on either side, and the debate is who is the other WB (on the opposite side to Aina as he can play both)

On a separate note just watched the Murillo interview, and we are going to qualify for the CL next season by winning the league and also the FA Cup.

So, we can afford to bring back Johnson now for next season

Based on my gut instinct and what I've seen Chelsea fans say about him - Odoi could be this season's Lingaard

(He may never have had the talent/potential that people believed he had)

However, I think it's worth the gamble and I hope I'm totally wrong

You are just setting him up to fail by putting that level of expectation on him.

Last season we were a completely different outfit, lingard was our big statement signing and overall wages and package was huge. He came with big expectations and was a complete failure in terms of application and performance.

CHO will be on nothing like lingard was and is not coming as our stellar signing. I think he will do ok, but either way the risk reward of this signing really make it a no brainer. If cooper helps him find his spark and confidence again the sky is the limit in terms of reward as clearly there is a huge amount of unfulfilled talent in him. Risk is a few million quid and some waged budget being spent on someone versatile who can always play a number of roles off the bench.

Last edited:
I've just watched all the deadline day signing interviews, and I can't fcuking wait for the next match.

I know we can't play them all, but Sangare will obvioucly start, and I'd love to see him in midfield with Dominguez and maybe Yates. Would love to see Murillo get a start too.

I think CHO will change a few minds as well.
I am really looking forward to seeing what Dominguez has about him, it's the profile of this one that is exciting. In and around the Argentina squad, decent age and captain of his former side where he's been loyal for a number of years. If he does well then there is good money to be made in this one.

And those eyes.....made for trap 2?

Your just setting him up to fail by putting that level of expectation on him.

Last season we were a completely different outfit, lingard was our big statement signing and overall wages and package was huge. He came with big expectations and was a complete failure in terms of application and performance.

CHO will be on nothing like lingard was and is not coming as our stellar signing. I think he will do ok, but either way the risk reward of this signing really make it a no brainer. If cooper helps him find his spark and confidence again the sky is the limit in terms of reward as clearly there is a huge amount of unfulfilled talent in him. Risk is a few million quid and some waged budget being spent on someone versatile who can always play a number of roles off the bench.
Last season we got precisely zero value from any of Wood, Ayew, Lingard. Dennis did have a few good moments, but generally for the fee we paid, we got barely nothing outside that great goal v Newcastle.

This season Wood has already shown increased work rate and fitness, and grabbed us 2 points v Blades with an outstanding finish.
Same with Elanga. Both these guys in the first 4 games have contributed more than the above in the whole of last season.

CH-O, has time to train, learn, settle and then provide. If he even scores 1 goal this season, and provides an assist or 2, he's already ahead of that lot from last season

Last season we got precisely zero value from any of Wood, Ayew, Lingard. Dennis did have a few good moments, but generally for the fee we paid, we got barely nothing outside that great goal v Newcastle.

This season Wood has already shown increased work rate and fitness, and grabbed us 2 points v Blades with an outstanding finish.
Same with Elanga. Both these guys in the first 4 games have contributed more than the above in the whole of last season.

CH-O, has time to train, learn, settle and then provide. If he even scores 1 goal this season, and provides an assist or 2, he's already ahead of that lot from last season
Man City, not Newcastle? But otherwise agree.

That's a good point. Wood has knuckled down into it to be fair to him. Hasn't moaned or thrown a wobbler like Shelvey/Dennis. I've warmed to him over that.

I am really looking forward to seeing what Dominguez has about him, it's the profile of this one that is exciting. In and around the Argentina squad, decent age and captain of his former side where he's been loyal for a number of years. If he does well then there is good money to be made in this one.

And those eyes.....made for trap 2?
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

That's a good point. Wood has knuckled down into it to be fair to him. Hasn't moaned or thrown a wobbler like Shelvey/Dennis. I've warmed to him over that.
It was harsh being cold on him anywway, he was basically an emergency and unfit and it ended up costing him another injury. Hopefully now we can see him fit all season, be nice going through the season with 3 options up top :)

i hate when we play 2 'holding' midfielders, always did. Basically cos i think holding means limited when its an average player. Obviously a bit different if its an experienced class player, like a casimiro type.
Sangare and Domingues are both capable of that role tho wed probably want Sangare bursting forward more regularly. Domingues far better 'quality' than Yates passing wise so I expect it to be him if that role if thats how we set up, with Yates keeping shape in centre mid with sangare and santos/managala/danilo and the wingbacks either side
And we know Yates will cover either wing back when they are on the rampage forward

I remember we missed yates covering aurier a few times last season when Yates was injured