Post Brexit (n/g) | Page 9 | Vital Football

Post Brexit (n/g)

I could similarly ask you why the WTO are allowing it and not raising any objections?

I would guess that they have given us time to set up our systems and make them much more user friendly and streamlined than the EU uber bureaucracy towards any non member.

Any evidence of these UK user friendly streamlined systems we’ve set up?

Any evidence of these UK user friendly streamlined systems we’ve set up?

Pretty sure they will not involve mega delays that cause empty supermarket shelves like in Belfast, even when they are supposed to be "light touch".

Will probably also be flexible enough to allow a capital T being used in a document rather than a lower case:rolleyes: and not reject it.

Pretty sure they will not involve mega delays that cause empty supermarket shelves like in Belfast, even when they are supposed to be "light touch".

Will probably also be flexible enough to allow a capital T being used in a document rather than a lower case:rolleyes: and not reject it.

Yeah, but do they actually exist?

I could similarly ask you why the WTO are allowing it and not raising any objections?

I would guess that they have given us time to set up our systems and make them much more user friendly and streamlined than the EU uber bureaucracy towards any non member.
That’s not how WTO works. It responds to complaints from other nations under the ‘most favoured nation’ rules. It then sets up a tribunal (lot of unelected bureaucrats), in camera, with country representatives that then gives a ruling. We don’t know who might prepare such a claim but China comes to mind with its penchant for pirated and substandard goods.

There aren’t empty supermarket shelves in NI. It didn’t take long for NI to adjust its supplies so that much more comes via the Republic. That’s the benefit of being in the Single Market. Of course on ONS statistics only NI and London are enjoying any economic growth. The “light touch” has been in the heads of the UK government only. The checks and forms were set out line by line in the NIP. The NIP was drafted by the UK government and lauded as a triumph by Johnson and used as propaganda to win a general election.

i believe that not one of the those items could not have been done whilst still in the EU.
maybe you could state which EU rule would have stopped us or how the EU could have stopped us.
You asked ! (Better late than never....)

1) for the ability to hold to account our Westminster MPs (instead of moaning at remote Eurocrats)."

Of the 23,000 odd EU laws under the Single Market, which ones could UK MPs be held "accountable" for ?

2) Covid Vaccines.
a) It was widely reported (and I believe accepted) that, the UK, by being outside the EU Medical Agency could approve vaccines in its own timescale - i.e. faster/

b) It was also reported that vaccines manufactured in Belgium, bought by the UK, were blocked by the EU.
The Left's favourite source

there are many things that we might be able to do now we are 'free' but cannot think of any carried out so far.
Indeed. That has been one of the criticisms i.e that the UK has not yet exercised much its new freedoms.

Covid distraction perhaps ?

Hasn't Rees-Mogg been appointed to review EU Rules - and launched aConsultation ?
1656760053191.png

But back to First Principles.....
Having the "freedom" is not about automatically revoking all 23,000 EU laws.
Plenty of them are OK.

We also need to distinguish between those 6,200-ish that are about Cross Border Trade - and the rest, which arguably are internal, domestic. i.e. unrelated to cross-border trade
e.g.
- flood channel dredging rules that prevent silt being put on the banks
- hairdressers required an annual electrical inspection of their hairdryers

Back to "trade:
Do we want to allow UK manufacturers and importers to import (say) more powerful vacuum cleaners ?
(Mustn't let them "leak" into RoI....)

Repeal too fast, and the queue of critics would form fast !:oops:

The ERG set up a working group to come up with these easy to implement technical solutions on the North/South NI border. Strangely, they never reported their findings. In the meantime the UK hasn’t implemented any checks on goods incoming from the EU as we’d literally run out of food. (ps they have to start at some point as we‘d be in breach of WTO rules and subject to claims from every other country that we import from that we must drop checks on their goods as well). Are you part of the 16% (current polling) that thinks Brexit is going well ?
From where do these anti- Brexiteer myths originate ?
(One can guess :oops:)

Here is the "never reported" report :>
"Never reported" > "Proposals set out below...."

In the meantime the UK hasn’t implemented any checks on goods incoming from the EU as we’d literally run out of food.
A plea to All.
PLEASE, distinguish between "checks" and "inspections".

I seems that most if not all goods arriving from the EU are subject to "checks" - just not "inspected".
https://assets.publishing.service.g...393/2022-06-15_Border_Operating_Model__1_.pdf

"Goods imported from the EU are subject to standard customs control following January 2022.
There are two main customs processes that goods can be imported into, and which process applies depends on what location the goods are imported through.
Border locations can either use the temporary storage model, or the prelodgement model.

You should check which model for moving goods into GB from the EU your border point of entry uses:
• The traditional Temporary Storage model, where goods coming into GB can be stored at the frontier for up to 90 days before being declared to customs
• The pre-lodgement model, where goods arriving will be required to have submitted a customs declaration in advance of boarding on the EU side"

(ps they have to start at some point as we‘d be in breach of WTO rules and subject to claims from every other country that we import from that we must drop checks on their goods as well).
Please can we be told what exactly are these "WTO Rules" that are being cited ?

I'm fairly sure that the last time I looked, they include flexibility with words like "proportionate", "exceptional", "usually" etc.

Is the EU being "proportionate" (or consistent) by requiring 20x more inspections to NI than at EU borders ?

1) for the ability to hold to account our Westminster MPs (instead of moaning at remote Eurocrats)."

Of the 23,000 odd EU laws under the Single Market, which ones could UK MPs be held "accountable" for ?

2) Covid Vaccines.
a) It was widely reported (and I believe accepted) that, the UK, by being outside the EU Medical Agency could approve vaccines in its own timescale - i.e. faster/

b) It was also reported that vaccines manufactured in Belgium, bought by the UK, were blocked by the EU.

Indeed. That has been one of the criticisms i.e that the UK has not yet exercised much its new freedoms.

Hasn't Rees-Mogg been appointed to review EU Rules - and launched aConsultation ?
View attachment 58624

Plenty of them are OK.

We also need to distinguish between those 6,200-ish that are about Cross Border Trade - and the rest, which arguably are internal, domestic. i.e. unrelated to cross-border trade
e.g.

Back to "trade:
Do we want to allow UK manufacturers and importers to import (say) more powerful vacuum cleaners ?

the point was not that we could not do 'more' with our new 'freedoms' it was that we have as far as i can see done nothing that we could not already do. Being reported is not necessarily a truth.

this government (as with most governments) keeps giving us distractions or telling part truths.

Hungary are part of the EU yet sourced their own vaccines. Basically any EU country can do what they want when it comes to the crunch. The UK chose to blame EU rules on many occasions e.g. failing to protect our companies from takeover or closure or preferring EU companies on contracts whereas the French and Germans did the opposite.
i remember corbyn continuously asking why certain companies were only advertising for labour outside the UK against EU law.

we can now nationalise what we want and save companies or industries we want but i expect we will blame some outside force.

we have a simple problem system wise of sorting out imports and exports and have had years to do it. Instead of doing it we are still looking for someone to blame.

this has nothing to do with brexit or who is in government only a lack of will power plus an abundance of incompetence.

Last edited:
Hungary are part of the EU yet sourced their own vaccines.
That Hungary could authorise the Sputnik vaccine for internal use was OK.
What did the EU say about the possibility of those vaccines "leaking" into the rest of the EU ?
(Just in case..... The relevance of the "leak" aside is the EU's supposed fear that millions of shipments of nasty, unsafe UK goods might "leak" into the RoI - and thence to the rest of their precious Single Market - causing untold damage :oops:!)

Basically any EU country can do what they want when it comes to the crunch. .
Sorry Jerry, I haven't checked....
Have you made any posts accusing the UK Government of "breaking International Law" ?
(Perhaps you haven't)

at what stage project wise is it at, what is the scope and implementation schedule?
Sorry Jerry.
I have no idea - not my area of expertise.

(And before some wag criticises me for not knowing "everything", I was only responding to an "error" and attempting a correction. ;))

That said....
......I did spot a line about "90 days to report", so it may not matter much if some Users have difficulties with software.
Also, (IIRC) compliance dates have been extended before by HMRC.

For the "glass half empty" sort, that is probably enough to go on about "government software never working".
(I'd probably agree that government procurement is crap)

Or.... one can accept that HMRC are being pragmatic and accommodating the majority of "trusted traders".

That Hungary could authorise the Sputnik vaccine for internal use was OK.
What did the EU say about the possibility of those vaccines "leaking" into the rest of the EU ?
(Just in case..... The relevance of the "leak" aside is the EU's supposed fear that millions of shipments of nasty, unsafe UK goods might "leak" into the RoI - and thence to the rest of their precious Single Market - causing untold damage :oops:!)

Sorry Jerry, I haven't checked....
Have you made any posts accusing the UK Government of "breaking International Law" ?
(Perhaps you haven't)

the uk and in fact all governments break/bend international law if its self interests are threatened. International law is only in play if you belong to a specific treaty or organisation e.g. we could be tried under war crimes at the hague as we have signed the treaty but the US and Russia could not as they will not sign the treaty.

even within the EU france and germany refused to follow rules that impacted their companies.

Sorry Jerry.
I have no idea - not my area of expertise.

(And before some wag criticises me for not knowing "everything", I was only responding to an "error" and attempting a correction. ;))

That said....
......I did spot a line about "90 days to report", so it may not matter much if some Users have difficulties with software.
Also, (IIRC) compliance dates have been extended before by HMRC.

For the "glass half empty" sort, that is probably enough to go on about "government software never working".
(I'd probably agree that government procurement is crap)

Or.... one can accept that HMRC are being pragmatic and accommodating the majority of "trusted traders".

ok i am catching up on it now plus smart border2.

Large software project delivery in both public and private sectors are late, overspent, under tested and poorly implemented for similar reasons - all of which are entirely avoidable.

2) Covid Vaccines.

View attachment 58624

Plenty of them are OK.

e.g.

Back to "trade:

Vaccine approval - brexiteer myth. The head of the Vaccines Agency made it clear that the UK vaccines were approved under the transitional EU arrangements because at that time the UK hadn’t set up its alternative. This was clearly set out in an interview with her. The procurement was done separately to the EU but others have pointed out there was no compulsion to join and indeed others used alternative routes. The advantage in time we obtained lasted less than a couple of months. On vaccination rates overall we settled at about mid point amongst European countries.