Post Brexit (n/g) | Vital Football

Post Brexit (n/g)

Will we ever really know the economic implications, Covid masked a lot of it and will be used as a smokescreen for years.

As for limiting illegal immigration, no sign of that. Patel is off to fight with the ECHR over their refusal to allow the Rwandan flight overflight privileges. A court all those on Boris' bus claimed would have nothing to do with what we got up to.

Most stuff these days is "Wag the Dog" anyway, talk of nefarious Russia or bringing back lbs and ounces. Real story is all the cronies, pub landlords and family members of Tories who fleeced the taxpayer in get rich quick overcharging scams for PPE and Rishi for dropping the ball with £11B in interest payments.

.... Or is this a trolling thread and I've just bitten?

As if Brexit hadn't fucked enough things up now I hear it's even having a detrimental effect upon the purity of MDMA available in this country.

"Recreational drug user Lucy Parry said: 'Given that we live in a hole of a country with an inept, lying prime minister, a failing economy and a media obsessed with peddling culture war crap, I need a little dab of Mandy to make it bearable.

'However, Brexit has even managed to fuck up that. Apparently pills are now routinely cut with stuff that causes panic, psychosis and prolonged insomnia. I can get that from reading the news, thanks very much.'"

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/lifestyle/brexit-even-ruining-mdma-now-20220609222004

I see Uncle Vlad is convinced that it is the EU that will take a massive financial hit themselves from the sanctions that they have imposed, particularly as the likes of Germany are one of the nations most reliant on Russian gas.

A lot of external factors are making things hard for both the EU and the UK at the moment, so a very difficult time to judge.

I am not sure when the term Brexit will be dropped as the "exit" part of it is now complete. Already, there is less talk from former remainers about reversing Brexit and more talk about watering down our stance by trying to rejoin the single market, etc, even though I would have thought the EU would still see that as cherry picking.

We have exactly the same problems as every other country in the world.
There is a lengthy article in today’s Guardian about how each nation is suffering.
New Zealand, Australia, USA, and every European country.
Brexit?
Wouldn’t think so.
Time will tell, but as I said at the time, it won’t be half as good as leave predicted or half as bad as remain fear.
Just a bit different.

There is a lengthy article in today’s Guardian about how each nation is suffering.
Brexit?
Wouldn’t think so.
Time will tell, but as I said at the time, it won’t be half as good as leave predicted or half as bad as remain fear.
Just a bit different.
Any Government can mess up.
(Or be blown off course by externalities.)

The point is whether voters - or their MPs - have the ability to influence policies.

Covid - and later Russia's invasion - underscored that "sovereign" Governments can encounter problems.
Even the "mighty" EU has found it hard to respond to the impacts of Covid (supply chains, govt. debt)...
....and Russia (oil, gas, wheat).

Covid: The UK found itself free to move ahead with vaccines.
So one Credit to the UK Govt.

And like many countries, the UK pursued Lockdown - and paid many people to stay at home.
So for the loss of freedom .....and a huge £ billion bill to be paid for
Debits to the UK Govt. (and others to varying degrees)

Ukraine: The UK's response has been a reminder that, even outside the EU, the UK can respond positively (some would argue "lead").
EU fans should accept that the UK is working with EU member states.
Not "pulling up the drawbridge". Not "insular, little England".

As Shotshy implied, measuring success in a way that suits EU fans may turn out to be difficult.
But to Leavers the freedom - which was the main point - is already evident.

Brexit?
Wouldn’t think so.
Just a bit different.

Well it's been a 'bit' of a disaster so far.
I'm sure some govt. funded think tank will come up with the proposed number of decades we have to wait until we are allowed to say that officially. Rees Mogg's 50 years may turn out to be correct but I'll be long gone by then.

It matters not your starting point, or the externals and universal problems: it's going badly because this bunch of chancers haven't a clue. At some point a more competent and honest government might make a fist of it but this lot are creating additional problems almost daily.

Any Government can mess up.
(Or be blown off course by externalities.)

The point is whether voters - or their MPs - have the ability to influence policies.

Covid - and later Russia's invasion - underscored that "sovereign" Governments can encounter problems.
Even the "mighty" EU has found it hard to respond to the impacts of Covid (supply chains, govt. debt)...
....and Russia (oil, gas, wheat).

Covid: The UK found itself free to move ahead with vaccines.
So one Credit to the UK Govt.

And like many countries, the UK pursued Lockdown - and paid many people to stay at home.
So for the loss of freedom .....and a huge £ billion bill to be paid for
Debits to the UK Govt. (and others to varying degrees)

Ukraine: The UK's response has been a reminder that, even outside the EU, the UK can respond positively (some would argue "lead").
EU fans should accept that the UK is working with EU member states.
Not "pulling up the drawbridge". Not "insular, little England".

As Shotshy implied, measuring success in a way that suits EU fans may turn out to be difficult.
But to Leavers the freedom - which was the main point - is already evident.

yes we 'took back control' from the EU and still make excuses why we cannot do anything, its all ok as we now under control of the good USA lol.

its all ok as we now under control of the good USA lol.

The USA, like most of the developed world, do not feel the need for a political "union" with any other country, or to constrict themselves with a never ending, and always growing, set of laws, rules and directives often set by a majority of other nations and overseen by a shady court of "justice".

The USA, like most of the developed world, do not feel the need for a political "union" with any other country, or to constrict themselves with a never ending, and always growing, set of laws, rules and directives often set by a majority of other nations and overseen by a shady court of "justice".

Yep, bit like the Russians, the US just buys anything in the UK that it wants to control or influence.

Yes, but they are a political union in their origins.

In the short to medium term, we screwed up Brexit. Should have inched out with May's deal and tested the waters. When the ceiling didn't fall in, we could have inched a bit further. Most importantly, an incremental withdrawal might have had a profound effect on others in the EU who were harboring similar thoughts, or on the trajectory of the EU as a whole. The actual manner of our leaving has effectively put the issue of others leaving or the EU diluting itself off the agenda for now.

The "shady" court of justice (nothing to do with the EU) that Johnson's maternal grandfather used to lead, if you mean the ECHR. If the ECJ, what is "shady" about it?

Anyway we are now totally ruled by 100% enemies of the people through our Supreme Court, according to the DM.

Last edited:
Extraordinary stat via #WATO: in 2008, when oil prices peaked at $144/barrel, no one in Britain paid more than 120p per litre of petrol. Today, oil price is $113 but pump prices 186p litre. Difference is collapse in sterling from $2 to $1.20, a slump that happened immediately after Brexit and hasn’t recovered.