Pay on Day prices | Page 2 | Vital Football

Pay on Day prices

Back the club???? £28-00 is a ridiculous price to pay and it's verging on disgusting.
Latics fans are paying, what is it now, around £13 to watch Championship football with a Season Card.

Experience has shown us those who turn their nose up at £28 won’t pay £25. Neither will there be any notable increase at £20. You need pricing £15 and under, plus an attractive game, to entice decent numbers of floating fans. At which point the drop in income would be so dramatic we’d have to up Season Card prices for our most loyal fans. The very ones who are most likely to bring along family and friends.

I’m sure we will have deals this year. But it needs to be thought through. Too many in recent years have come and gone without the desired result. Ultimately the club needs to increase income across the board to ensure we play at the highest level possible. That’s the best way to attract new fans.

Back the club???? £28-00 is a ridiculous price to pay and it's verging on disgusting.
So when the Yorkshiremen snap up every single ticket at these disgusting prices, on top of having to travel to the game, would you mind explaining what you think is wrong with the prices or what you think is wrong with our home supporters?
Or what is wrong with Sheffield people even?

Assuming Sheff Wed sell every ticket (very likely), for every pound that the £28 comes down, we would have to have extra home fans just to break even. Are you seriously saying that if it were £20 POTD, that we would attract another 1800 paying fans? If it were £15, we'd need 3900 extra fans. Its not going to happen!

Can I ask how much season tickets are?

If the Wednesday pay-on-the-day price is anything to go by, how many matches would I have to attend to break even if I got a season ticket for ES2/3?
I went virtually all last season but some of the games were last minute decisions due to work, or more to the point, absence of work. I reckon I paid out about £400 dabs following us in pay-on-the-day ticket prices.

Can I ask how much season tickets are?

If the Wednesday pay-on-the-day price is anything to go by, how many matches would I have to attend to break even if I got a season ticket for ES2/3?
I went virtually all last season but some of the games were last minute decisions due to work, or more to the point, absence of work. I reckon I paid out about £400 dabs following us in pay-on-the-day ticket prices.
£279 in the South Stand and £329 in West/East (was £289 if bought before May 31st).

So after 10-12 games you’re saving money. With a Season Card you can also change your seat at any time if you contact the ticket office.

Assuming Sheff Wed sell every ticket (very likely), for every pound that the £28 comes down, we would have to have extra home fans just to break even. Are you seriously saying that if it were £20 POTD, that we would attract another 1800 paying fans? If it were £15, we'd need 3900 extra fans. Its not going to happen!
No, I am saying charge Away fans more than £28 and to try and encourage more home fans and not to lose any more home fans charge home fans less than 28-00.
Win win for Latics and fans.

No, I am saying charge Away fans more than £28 and to try and encourage more home fans and not to lose any more home fans charge home fans less than 28-00.
Win win for Latics and fans.

League Rules don't allow this.
https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-5--fixtures/ (34.2 onwards)

Reduced pricing for home supporters is/was allowed 2 or 3 times per year if my memory serves me correctly.

Sheffield Wednesday charged us Wigan away supporters 33 quid last time around.
I am sure we will have the usual away Leeds rip off pricing again (35 quid last time) whilst their supporters get a cheaper deal at the DW.

If you charge too much less people turn up and you make less money, if you charge too little you make less money despite the numbers of fans being higher. Depending on how big your potential fan base is and their level of interest dropping prices drastically may only yield a small increase in attendance but a massive drop in revenue - it's not as simple as cheaper prices every week will provide enough extra supporters to offset the lower cost of tickets. Also quite rightly already mentioned is the virtual guarentee of massive away followings who we need to make the most of financially - which we cant do if we lower home pay on the day prices. It's a economic balancing act.

Just like in other economics there is an optimal pricing point where you believe you'll bring in the highest amount of money and the club has all of the market research, past experience and figures to believe this is the right price. We've talked in other threads about how low our clubs income is so it's absolutely vital we maximise it the best we can.

Also lower cost of pay on the day will likely hurt season ticket sales and reward the fair weather fans who will only come once or twice if we are in a relegation battle. The higher price of day tickets is also part of the inventive to buy the outstanding value of season tickets. If we effectively subsidise the casuals we couldnt drop season ticket prices further without throwing away income as they are already so cheap, in fact we'd prob have to up season ticket prices to try and bring in more revenue. This would punish loyalty and make season tickets less appealing which would probably hurt overall attendance.

The season ticket prices are most likely the cheapest in the division and amazing value. They are cheaper than many clubs in the divisions below and a fraction of what football fans pay for the 4 local bug Prem sides.
They work out at £12 per game for adults, £10 for pensioners, £8 for students, £2 for under 18's, £1 for under 5s. And i believe you can still pay for your season tickets in instalments rather than in a one off lump.

If you go any other football club even in a lower division, or a concert, cinema, theatre, wrestling, rugby, MMA or any other type of sport or entertainment live event you almost certainly end up paying just as much or a lot more. Especially if you are taking a family as many of those wont provide kids tickets.

Some people wont be able to afford to go even at those prices, wont be able to afford to pay installments or be willing to make the commitment to a season ticket which is a shame but like an earlier poster said we aren't a publicly funded charity or raking in so much money that we can afford to lose money on ticket sales. We are a business who need to make money to survive and these price points are set at this level to help us do that. No matter what value we offer someone will always be priced out, thats life and we will go bankrupt in no time if we prioritise lowering prices at to levels that lower our NET income. But we still manage to offer exceptional value on season tickets and reward loyalty in that way. So I'm very happy with what we do and back the clubs price structure.

Last edited:
Them that can't afford to go could get one of the many thousands of Wigan rugby tickets that are awash around the town before every game.
Go and watch that shite for free if you are too tight to buy a Latics season card.

No excuse not to get a ST. You can pay monthly via a direct debit which would be cheaper than paying admission for two home games a month. I’ve got no sympathy really. The floaters didn’t turn up in League One when our lads deserved the support, if they want to hop onto the big opposition bandwagon then they can either buy a ST or get their tight arse hands in their pockets and shell out.

As C Latic says the club have done everything possible to make football affordable but you can only do so much. If you can't afford to do the direct debit of about 30 quid a month for an adult ticket or 34 quid a month for an adult and 2 under 18s then you probably wouldnt be able to afford to go on match days even if we dropped ticket prices for pay on the day. If you struggle to find that amount of money then football is probably the least of your worries and you likely wouldn't waste what little cash you have on live entertainment tickets.

If people really want to go to Latics games and arent well off then they probably already have season tickets. The issues aren't really prices just not enough proper fans and too many fair weather who aren't that interested in Wigan but like a big occasion or opposition.

You can’t charge equal for south stand and north stand and less for east and west Jeff’s right. That’s obviusly a massive farce and incredibly embarrassing for the club the efl would see right through that.

You can’t charge equal for south stand and north stand and less for east and west Jeff’s right. That’s obviusly a massive farce and incredibly embarrassing for the club the efl would see right through that.
Why not? There are ways around everything. The empty seats next season will be just as embarrassing.

Out of curiosity anyone who thinks the club shouldn't charge so much, what price point would be acceptable for pay on the day? And if you lower the prices considerably what do you do about potentially reducing the current insentive to buy a season ticket?

Keeping in mind whatever price you suggest will be the same for away fans who will come in larger numbers regardless of price and we quite frankly our match day income is very low and we need to make the most of those away ticket sales.

It's easy to say when something not right but I'd be interested to hear an alternative proposal that takes into account the incentive and away ticket revenue.