Pay on Day prices | Page 4 | Vital Football

Pay on Day prices

I've got my season card,so I've come around to the same way of thinking as the club...
ie......I don't give a shit about the floating fans anymore.

They have not done "nothing".
They have tried various things in the past, even £10 per ticket, and the Wigan public have thrown it back in their faces by not taking it up.
If people cant afford £28 they will not be coming for £20 either, so the club need to increase revenue and the away supporters will do that this season.
Season tickets available at £13 per game is plenty value enough, and they can be paid for monthly, or people could have saved up £6/week since last year if need be.
What do you suggest they do? Bear in mind they need money to run the club and pay the wages of the Championship quality players that people want us to be signing.
The club have tried in the past and last season the £10 ticket against Wimbledon gave us the best home following of the season by far. Last season was expensive too.
The club do keep trying and the price of season tickets is exceptional value but lord knows how many would be renewing if our STs were similar to Nob Ends.
Taking the attitude some on here take it wouldn't matter at all as we wouldn't have to sell as many to bring in the same income.

And clever boys don't start with the loss we made at £10-00 rather than £20-00 I can do the Maths and no I wouldn't make it £10-00 every week.

The club make every effort to encourage floating fans into the ground, a multitude of offers have been made to get them in. The problem is that they come the once and take advantage of the lower price but don't return. The only way to bring in the fans is with success, and even that doesn't guarantee it in Wigan.

All the excuses about matchday prices being too high are simply that, excuses. The truth is the Wigan public cant be arsed about the local team. There has always been a hardcore section that support the club and always will do, but despite the clubs best efforts Wiganers prefer to watch the regions glamour clubs.

The price of a season ticket is comparable to a Sky Sports subscription so why not do what I did and dump Sky Sports in favour of Latics. Unfortunately it will never happen. They prefer to watch European and Premier League teams and moan about not being able to attend Wigan games. The same people who moan about not being able to afford a ticket can also be seen with their "I phone 8" pressed to their ears on contracts of up to £60 a month. If you want to watch live football, and are passionate enough you would be happy to endure a cheaper phone and contract.

As I say the Wigan public show little interest in the club and regardless of what offers are made to tempt them refuse to engage, unless it is a fixture against a glamour club. In my opinion the club have done all they an to encourage new fans but to assure the continued existence of the team they now need to consider themselves and set realistic prices for admission.

Take ST's out of the equation & imagine everyone paid the £28 for the Sheff Wed game & there was 13,000 on (which I think is realistic) then the club would take £364,000 at the gate
If they charged £20 then there'd have to be 18,201 in attendance before the club took more than that figure
And we all know that charging £8 less would not bring another 5,001 people through the turnstiles

The club has set that ticket price based on its experience of how many ST holders we're likely to have, how many away fans will come & how much they can charge & still guarantee a minimum number of Latics supporters attend
All that whilst also bearing in mind they need more money this season to be competitive in a higher division

The club have tried in the past and last season the £10 ticket against Wimbledon gave us the best home following of the season by far. Last season was expensive too.
The club do keep trying and the price of season tickets is exceptional value but lord knows how many would be renewing if our STs were similar to Nob Ends.
Taking the attitude some on here take it wouldn't matter at all as we wouldn't have to sell as many to bring in the same income.
Your argument against the thugby crowd was the magnitude of the match. So wasn't the magnitude of the Wimbledon match not significant in this case? Couldn't we have won the league that day?
Poor Jeff, poor!

Interesting fact, we’ve yet to drop below a 10k gate at the DW as far as I know for a Championship game since we were relegated from the Premier League. Will we keep that record going this season? I suggest the real tests to that will come in the midweek games.

And clever boys don't start with the loss we made at £10-00 rather than £20-00 I can do the Maths and no I wouldn't make it £10-00 every week.

So do you now accept the suggestion of dropping pay on the day to £20 would most likely not work out very well in practice based on the arguments and sums presented and the club are generally being practical ratheer than unfair?

Interesting fact, we’ve yet to drop below a 10k gate at the DW as far as I know for a Championship game since we were relegated from the Premier League. Will we keep that record going this season? I suggest the real tests to that will come in the midweek games.

Really? I've not checked any figures but I'd be very surprised if that was true. No way Millwall at home on a Tuesday night for example attracted that many. However I know attendance figures don't reflect actual attendances. It'll be interesting to see how many season tickets have been sold, I expect very similar to last time even with steep match day prices.

So do you now accept the suggestion of dropping pay on the day to £20 would most likely not work out very well in practice based on the arguments and sums presented and the club are generally being practical ratheer than unfair?
The club have set the high price to cash in on away support and thats it. They know that the 8000 or so season tickets we will sell is at saturation point in Wigan. Who wouldnt agree with that, but to give up on that and accept thats all we can attract in just seems mad. The first season back down in the Championship we averaged around 12000 hardcore regulars. Now theres a difference in 4000 and thats 4000 potential people we could still be aiming at attracting back saturation point or not. £28-00 wont do that.
All I really want to see is more people watching our club and a better atmoshere and especially so if we have an indifferent season.

No excuse not to get a ST. You can pay monthly via a direct debit which would be cheaper than paying admission for two home games a month. I’ve got no sympathy really. The floaters didn’t turn up in League One when our lads deserved the support, if they want to hop onto the big opposition bandwagon then they can either buy a ST or get their tight arse hands in their pockets and shell out.

I disagree with this. Held a season ticket for many years even from the springy days up to about 10 years ago and been a casual attending more than half of matches ever since. Pay on the gate in league one has been great because it reduces the faff of queueing at ticket offices, though DL and print is great too. I'm an impromptu person, i usually make a last minute decision, and if the weather's great I'd rather do summat else such as make a weekend of it in the lakes, north wales or cornwall. I appreciate that I'm not the average floating fan but you can't tar everyone with the same brush.

I disagree with this. Held a season ticket for many years even from the springy days up to about 10 years ago and been a casual attending more than half of matches ever since. Pay on the gate in league one has been great because it reduces the faff of queueing at ticket offices, though DL and print is great too. I'm an impromptu person, i usually make a last minute decision, and if the weather's great I'd rather do summat else such as make a weekend of it in the lakes, north wales or cornwall. I appreciate that I'm not the average floating fan but you can't tar everyone with the same brush.

Anyways, I'm getting one this season ?

Are we doing enough to get kids in? (especially those from the poorer areas in the town)
In the premiership days the South Stand was awash with free tickets-why isn't it now when we need supporters more than ever?
if you're a struggling family in this this town are you really gonna take your lad to the match if you're having to pay £30 to get in? Unfortunately this policy will lead to more and more United and Liverpool fans in our town.

Because the premier league (not the premiership) paid us gazillions to participate in the league. That's why.

Take ST's out of the equation & imagine everyone paid the £28 for the Sheff Wed game & there was 13,000 on (which I think is realistic) then the club would take £364,000 at the gate
If they charged £20 then there'd have to be 18,201 in attendance before the club took more than that figure
And we all know that charging £8 less would not bring another 5,001 people through the turnstiles

The club has set that ticket price based on its experience of how many ST holders we're likely to have, how many away fans will come & how much they can charge & still guarantee a minimum number of Latics supporters attend
All that whilst also bearing in mind they need more money this season to be competitive in a higher division

Hallelujah!

The club have set the high price to cash in on away support and thats it. They know that the 8000 or so season tickets we will sell is at saturation point in Wigan. Who wouldnt agree with that, but to give up on that and accept thats all we can attract in just seems mad. The first season back down in the Championship we averaged around 12000 hardcore regulars. Now theres a difference in 4000 and thats 4000 potential people we could still be aiming at attracting back saturation point or not. £28-00 wont do that.
All I really want to see is more people watching our club and a better atmoshere and especially so if we have an indifferent season.

I think those 4k didnt stop coming because of price more just lack of success. To many of them i suspect anything less than being in the Prem or challenging to get back there is not interesting enough for them unfortunately.

If we had never tried to get crowds up then I'd be thunking similar about reducing prices in hope of extra fans would make up the shortfall. But i agree with previous posters when they say the club has tried everything and the locals never responded in the numbers we needed. Judging on what we've seen it seems unlikely lowering prices would work well enough to make it cost effectivr. So keeping season tickets so cheap and getting the most revenue out of away fans without charging more than other clubs seems a fair and sensible enough strategy.

The unfortunate thing with us is we have a small town and so many big clubs in our catchment area. We prob wont be able to get attendances to ever increase significantly in the short term without suddenly becoming more successful.

I'm sure there'll be insentives and free tickets in schools etc over the season but overall i dont think all things considered we've done anything wrong on priceing.

At this point it’s verging on the offensive just how much time we spend discussing floating fans who much of the time couldn’t give two ***** about Latics.

The club offers amazing value for money Season Cards. You can literally miss half a season and still be up over paying on the door. I go out of my way to pay for myself and two relations as it’s the best value entertainment I’ll find. After a few seasons they’re now dedicated Latics fans and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

I’m all for incentives to attract new fans. Particularly with local schools for kids who’s parents may not support Latics. But I’m getting a little tired of suggestions that would put the club into financial difficulty, let alone, in a position to achieve any measure of success. All for floating fans who turn their nose up at anything more than £15 quid, want attractive opposition, a Saturday 3pm kick-off, nice weather. So long as their team is not on live TV at the time.

Let’s concentrate a little more on creating a better match day experience for the loyal fans who do go. If we together as a club achieve success many of the barriers/excuses holding back floating fans will miraculously disappear.

Because the premier league (not the premiership) paid us gazillions to participate in the league. That's why.
Why do bellends keep going on about the 'Premiership'?
The Premier League was formed 26 years ago and was called 'The Premiership' for one season only about ten years ago,yet on radio phone ins,on here and everywhere we keep hearing dildo's calling it premiership ffs.
It's ridic ridicul,it's daft.

Well you spent all last season calling League One the 3rd division and it hasn't been that for over 15 years. Ridiculous indeed.

Why do bellends keep going on about the 'Premiership'?
The Premier League was formed 26 years ago and was called 'The Premiership' for one season only about ten years ago,yet on radio phone ins,on here and everywhere we keep hearing dildo's calling it premiership ffs.
It's ridic ridicul,it's daft.

I thought 'the Premiership' was just sort of a nick name people called it. A bit like we are officially Wigan Athletic but often called Latics or for a non football example the Conservative Party are often called the Torys. Suprised it bothers anyone to be honest.