Paul Cook | Page 4 | Vital Football

Paul Cook

Yep agree with that. However I'm not sure Cook is willing to make changes and as such won't be able to learn from his mistakes. I'm hoping he proves me wrong as I don't want us changing manager again in this position in the league. Despite that it may become inevitable so yes the alternatives need to be quietly scouted, but that doesn't include Unsworth.

Unsworth if appointed would be a disaster for the club and would see a lot of issues with crowd figures etc. With him being part of the scouse team that are in charge I do fear that this would be discussed. I want Cook gone but not for someone like that to come in.

Yet the first name that comes to everyones mind is Steve Bruce :rofl:

Can't help but see the contradiction in your post with "unless he makes fundamental changes (which he won't)" and "attractive attacking football enjoyed earlier in the season which cook has abandoned". So which one is it?
A fundamental change back to the early season style is no contradiction. My point is for whatever reason he won't and will face the consequence of that stubbornness sooner or later

Can WAFC afford him? Wonder why he was sacked from other clubs?

He was sacked as he didn't deliver the results that Fulham wanted. However, what Fulham wanted was a premier league manager that would keep them in the league. He had served his purpose. I think though we look at what happened before he served his purpose.

He took Watford from the Championship to the Premier league and left as they couldn't agree a package.

He then took Fulham to the top 6 the season after they just avoided relegation. Then he led them to promotion the season after.

I think this shows that he is a god championship manager and not a premier league manager. This is what we need in ur current position.

Its like Paul Cook, these managers have levels, we need the one to take us to the next level. Just like players.

Could Wigan afford him, the owners want a championship side that can push on, the question should be, can we afford not to have him or someone similar.

I often think that some WAFC supporters forget where the club came from. There are a lot who think we can afford big names or forgot that we are no more a premier league team. They think any player or manager will sign for us at a drop of a hat. Get real. We are a small club in the massive playing field. Be realistic. Support your club and get behind the players and manager. Constant publicly picking on players do not help. No player comes on the pitch to deliberately play badly.

Yep agree with that. However I'm not sure Cook is willing to make changes and as such won't be able to learn from his mistakes. I'm hoping he proves me wrong as I don't want us changing manager again in this position in the league. Despite that it may become inevitable so yes the alternatives need to be quietly scouted, but that doesn't include Unsworth.

Wasn't there a few pompey fans on here when we signed PC who were saying he's stubborn, won't change the way the team plays even when things aren't going well.....guess we're in for a bumpy ride then.

I often think that some WAFC supporters forget where the club came from. There are a lot who think we can afford big names or forgot that we are no more a premier league team. They think any player or manager will sign for us at a drop of a hat. Get real. We are a small club in the massive playing field. Be realistic. Support your club and get behind the players and manager. Constant publicly picking on players do not help. No player comes on the pitch to deliberately play badly.

All the "remember where we have come from" nonsense makes me sick . We are here and now and have been here and now for a long, long time. Managers won't sign at the drop of a hat but unemployed managers are available if the offer comes. Employed managers are there to be taken with the right offer.

Do you want us to be in league 2 struggling as you seem to think that is where we belong. We are a championship team and can easily be sustainable championship team if we don't give up and stick with employees who are failing us as fans.

Are we seriously suggesting sacking him?

Craig, a lot of people cannot carry on watching the club head to relegation. We are playing awful, we have a manager who won't change things, buys poor players, plays players out of position and now chats nonsense. He is not taking the club forward and therefore it is time for him to go. He has had his chance and he is not up to it. Its not getting beat, its the way we are getting beat when we could take results.

Last week Ipswich were a very bad team, we made it easy for them. Don't quote 16 shots, we had 2 shots of purpose. Today we were disgusting against a very average at best Birmingham team. The football is poor, the tactics are poor and we cannot stand still hoping he will come good. Why risk Championship status for loyalty, these men who represent us are employees of the club we love, we love the club, not the current employees. Cook lost the crowd today and the big question is, can he take us forward, when that answer is no then its time to change. He cannot take us forward in my opinion for the reasons given above, now we need someone to take us to the next level, play off challenging team who entertain and get people excited. Crowds are falling, don't look at the 13800 figure and think half decent crowd, think 10k at best with 4500 from Birmingham as that would be more like it. on 45 minuets people were leaving as its not entertaining to watch. I will be going to West Brom on boxing day but I don't want to and that is a sad state of affairs.

All the "remember where we have come from" nonsense makes me sick . We are here and now and have been here and now for a long, long time. Managers won't sign at the drop of a hat but unemployed managers are available if the offer comes. Employed managers are there to be taken with the right offer.

Do you want us to be in league 2 struggling as you seem to think that is where we belong. We are a championship team and can easily be sustainable championship team if we don't give up and stick with employees who are failing us as fans.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but just thought I'd mention it on a side note. I think the real golden opportunity to establish ourselves as a solid PL/Championship club was in 2013-14, the season immediately after we were relegated. We had an excellent team with players like Al Habsi, Carson, Jordi Gomez, McArthur, McManaman, Powell, Beausejour, Waghorn, Boyce, Perch, McClean, Ramis, etc. In the second half of that season our form was incredible - I think at one point we were on a nine game winning streak. It does annoy me that the team we lost out to in the play off semi final was QPR, who were later found to have breached the FFP regulations. Yet ultimately I think that if we'd have had Rosler for the whole of the season we'd have won automatic promotion anyway with that squad, even with the extra football that came with playing in the Europa League and reaching the FA Cup semi final. I completely agree that we are a Championship club and are hopefully here to stay, and if the new owners invest there is no reason why we can't return to the PL eventually. However, I can't help regretting the circumstances of that season; if only we had sacked Coyle and appointed Rosler earlier, if only we hadn't had the extra football with the Europa League and FA Cup. What could have been? We were relegated at the worst possible time really, as the real money was pumped into the PL just after 2012-13 (the season of our relegation). I can't help thinking how different our current situation could have been if we had been promoted to the Premier League in 2013-14, immediately after relegation, and benefitted from that influx of money in 2014-15. As it were, of course, we lost our best players and were relegated the season after.

Last edited:
Craig, a lot of people cannot carry on watching the club head to relegation. We are playing awful, we have a manager who won't change things, buys poor players, plays players out of position and now chats nonsense. He is not taking the club forward and therefore it is time for him to go. He has had his chance and he is not up to it. Its not getting beat, its the way we are getting beat when we could take results.

Last week Ipswich were a very bad team, we made it easy for them. Don't quote 16 shots, we had 2 shots of purpose. Today we were disgusting against a very average at best Birmingham team. The football is poor, the tactics are poor and we cannot stand still hoping he will come good. Why risk Championship status for loyalty, these men who represent us are employees of the club we love, we love the club, not the current employees. Cook lost the crowd today and the big question is, can he take us forward, when that answer is no then its time to change. He cannot take us forward in my opinion for the reasons given above, now we need someone to take us to the next level, play off challenging team who entertain and get people excited. Crowds are falling, don't look at the 13800 figure and think half decent crowd, think 10k at best with 4500 from Birmingham as that would be more like it. on 45 minuets people were leaving as its not entertaining to watch. I will be going to West Brom on boxing day but I don't want to and that is a sad state of affairs.

OK so when did he turn bad?

Preston away and from then on. It's almost that that non performance burst the bubble and for whatever reasons the manager has been unable - save for Blackburn at home - to remotivate the players or be brave enough to re-employ the tactics that were successful for the first 10 games.
We are setting up not to lose but that's not really going well is it ?

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but just thought I'd mention it on a side note. I think the real golden opportunity to establish ourselves as a solid PL/Championship club was in 2013-14, the season immediately after we were relegated. We had an excellent team with players like Al Habsi, Carson, Jordi Gomez, McArthur, McManaman, Powell, Beausejour, Waghorn, Boyce, Perch, McClean, Ramis, etc. In the second half of that season our form was incredible - I think at one point we were on a nine game winning streak. It does annoy me that the team we lost out to in the play off semi final was QPR, who were later found to have breached the FFP regulations. Yet ultimately I think that if we'd have had Rosler for the whole of the season we'd have won automatic promotion anyway with that squad, even with the extra football that came with playing in the Europa League and reaching the FA Cup semi final. I completely agree that we are a Championship club and are hopefully here to stay, and if the new owners invest there is no reason why we can't return to the PL eventually. However, I can't help regretting the circumstances of that season; if only we had sacked Coyle and appointed Rosler earlier, if only we hadn't had the extra football with the Europa League and FA Cup. What could have been? We were relegated at the worst possible time really, as the real money was pumped into the PL just after 2012-13 (the season of our relegation). I can't help thinking how different our situation could have been if we had been promoted to the Premier League in 2013-14, immediately after relegation, and benefitted from that influx of money in 2014-15. As it were, of course, we lost our best players and were relegated the season after.

The wheels had already started to fall off with Rosler before the end of that season with performances and results dipping and him falling out with players.

The issue was hiring Coyle instead of Poyet in the first place. Rosler eventually did as much damage as anyone the following season despite spending the best part of 12m on new signings.

Preston away and from then on. It's almost that that non performance burst the bubble and for whatever reasons the manager has been unable - save for Blackburn at home - to remotivate the players or be brave enough to re-employ the tactics that were successful for the first 10 games.
We are setting up not to lose but that's not really going well is it ?
In other words we are very Yoothaesque or worse.

The wheels had already started to fall off with Rosler before the end of that season with performances and results dipping and him falling out with players.

The issue was hiring Coyle instead of Poyet in the first place. Rosler eventually did as much damage as anyone the following season despite spending the best part of 12m on new signings.

Yeah, I remember him signing players like Oriol Riera Magem, Forshaw, Delort, Kvist, Huws, Herd etc all of whom were just ineffective. Tbf Forshaw's currently having success with Leeds, so the problem was probably with Rosler. He certainly lost the plot in 2014-15. Although I do think we should give him credit for the job he did in taking us from mid table to a play off position in 2013-14. I was watching highlights from the QPR game the other week and we seemed to play decently on the night. Unfortunately for us Charlie Austin was a class above. On a side note, Austin hasn't kicked on as much as I thought he would and has seemed to stagnate in progress since leaving QPR. He was in the top 5 PL scorers for 2014-15 I believe, but hasn't done much since.

Unfortunately there are a lot of “big games” in this division and the managers record in these kind of games is terrible. Ridiculous tough run again now which meant we had to perform more in the easier run we have just had, show guts, show an attacking side, instead he shut up shop against reading to get a point, Bolton terrible again and didn’t go for the kill and Ipswich well leave that there. 3/4 players out of form who shouldn’t be in the starting 11, bench not balanced, subs either wrong or too late or both. Bordering ubdefendable now