Paul Cook | Vital Football

Paul Cook

C_Latic

Vital 1st Team Regular
Out of his depth at this level?

Is having no experience of managing at this level or experience of going through a bad losing run at a club starting to take its toll?

He’s clearly run out of ideas on how to arrest the worst away run in our history. Even the home form is slowly starting to turn with 1 win in our last four with tough games coming up.

How long can he hide behind “fine margins” and “injuries”?

Discuss...

I am growingly increasingly concerned he may very well be - but we've seen the good, the bad an the ugly this season. Qe need a little more time to work it out at this level if he a good manager having a bad spell, or a bad manager who had a good spell at the start. I'd be pretending if i said my faith hadn't been severly dented by some of the performances and results reccently.

Lose next week to Birmingham, then and it's going to be a struggle to see us getting a win in the next 6 after that. That could take us to 1 win in 16 - if that happens and we find ourselves in the bottom 3, confidence destroyed then i think we will need a change. But if we can beat Birmingham and then pick up big wins at home against Sheffield and Villa in the next 3 home games then it looks a lot different.

We need to see how it plays out over the next few games, but results and performances need to imporve and i am very worried.

If the new lads have doubts he will be gone before January and kept on a tight lead if he stays.
Would you let someone loose with yr chequebook if they'd spunked the summer money on Garner, Windass and the disappeared Lopez and signed off a 3 year deal for Naismith ?
Or refuses to start the one game changing player currently available ?
If he can't get more out of the players then swap out the players and or change the system. The current approach is not working so dont keep repeating it, there lies madness

Let’s hire Bruce again! Third time lucky for our Prem messiah.

He definitely won’t leave us a month in to take up a vacancy at 16th-placed Millwall, calling it “the right move,” for him.

We seem a bit Jekyll and Hyde - which hopefully means a mid tableish finish. We've an ability to play well - remember the 'joy' of the season opener, we can battle hard and grind out results but sadly we can also be so pathetic as well unfortunately. If we had applied ourselves against some of the poorer teams in this league we'd be in the play offs. As such it's difficult to understand why we play so badly in these fixtures. I hope the worst doesn't happen and we are not reflecting on these performances at the end of the season - Millwall, ipswich, knob end, Bolton, reading, qpr its becoming an extensive list.

We do have injuries in the creativity department so that has to be acknowledged. I'm not so sure about fine margins however, today for example we could only blame ourselves. It needs improvement away unless our home form us excellent.

Let’s hire Bruce again! Third time lucky for our Prem messiah.

He definitely won’t leave us a month in to take up a vacancy at 16th-placed Millwall, calling it “the right move,” for him.
Would have Bruce back tomorrow. But he’ll have far more attractive offers than us in the near future.

I am growingly increasingly concerned he may very well be - but we've seen the good, the bad an the ugly this season. Qe need a little more time to work it out at this level if he a good manager having a bad spell, or a bad manager who had a good spell at the start. I'd be pretending if i said my faith hadn't been severly dented by some of the performances and results reccently.

Lose next week to Birmingham, then and it's going to be a struggle to see us getting a win in the next 6 after that. That could take us to 1 win in 16 - if that happens and we find ourselves in the bottom 3, confidence destroyed then i think we will need a change. But if we can beat Birmingham and then pick up big wins at home against Sheffield and Villa in the next 3 home games then it looks a lot different.

We need to see how it plays out over the next few games, but results and performances need to imporve and i am very worried.
1win in 16 we are not that bad have sum fath man we will survive calm down .up the tics

If Cook loves Liverpool so much why doesn't he try playing like them ?
Just re-read his post match quotes - if he can't or won't see what's going on in front of him then he's likely to have enough time on his hands to watch all Liverpool's representative teams shortly.

1win in 16 we are not that bad have sum fath man we will survive calm down .up the tics

When we hadn't won in the previous 4 and had Reading, Blackburn, Bolton, Derby and Ipswich as an upcoming block of fixtures most people would've said we won't end up with only 1 win in 9. Yet here we are.

Like I say if we don't beat Birmingham then we go into another rough fuxture list with Sheff U, Villa at home plus West Brom ( not counting them in cup too), Swansea, Sheff Wed Forest away - which of those will be a bankable win? Like I said if we don't beat Birmingham 1 win in 16 is not remotely out of the question - even if we play well in that run due to quality of opposition and quantity of away games.

Of course you hope we don't get there but unfortunately it's not that unlikely a possibility. Need to get a win next week no ifs or buts.

Last edited:
thing is king. do the new owners give him the money to buy in january or do they hold back and wait n see.

finger mite alredy be on the trigger.

That is the big question. No one can be impressed with how we've spent our money over the past 2 windows so if there is cash available it will be hard to think we'll suddenly spend it drastically better.

Whoever has been in charge of signings over the past 12 months - probably shouldn't be moving forward. Not taking into account frees or loans but paying about 5m in fees for Vaughan, Cole, Walker, Garner, Lopes, Windass - that's a huge amount of money for us that we might as well not bothered spending for the return. We can't afford to waste that type of money again.

Funny isn't it:
- Nob End fans are ecstatic with their position.
- Many of our lot were wishing we were Brentford a few weeks ago.
- More points in our last 5 games then every team below us bar Hull.

Not ideal, but a ruddy long way from the doomsday view that some of our fans seem to take.

:rolleyes:

1544981781980.png

Totally agree Moonay,as the saying goes "Rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated"!!

We would do well to learn some lessons from the way Liverpool played tonight.
Don't you think learning the lessons from the way WE played (earlier in the season) might be a more important - and realistic - objective?

Liverpool play like "that" (didn't see it) because of the ability of their players...... each of whom would probably cost more than our entire team........ squad even.

Earlier in the season we had our strongest squad playing, a squad familiar with each other and playing matches together in a certain way, plus we had a side going into games with the continued momentum of last season.
The side we have out now are a side full of rag tag and Bob tails, journeymen and a side consistently changing styles, systems and personnel and a side lacking in confidence and without that winning momentum.
Paul Cook has a very difficult job on and good luck to him it must be a nightmare trying to get anything out of a game.