Paul Cook | Page 6 | Vital Football

Paul Cook

• Thread starter removed at members request
  • Start date
How does a manager with an excellent record at lower levels get that higher level experience?

After only 5 months at this higher standard, he's had good times and bad times.

Cut the man some bloody slack.
Ask Chris Wilder and Dean Smith, they didn’t seem to have any issues. With smaller budgets than us as well at Sheff Utd and Brentford. Then again it helps that they have competent recruitment teams.

By the way 100 posts now. Your early attempt to quash this thread failed miserably didn’t it! :LOL:

And if we stick with Cook C_Latic, who's to say that he won't eclipse the modest achievements of those two.

My point was that 5 months is no time to go from hero to zero. We've been there before, and got the grubby t-shirt to remind us of our petulant impatience.

How does a manager with an excellent record at lower levels get that higher level experience?

After only 5 months at this higher standard, he's had good times and bad times.

Cut the man some bloody slack.
He's used up the slack Mooney that's the issue. If there was any sign of improvement he would get some more. However think most agree that things are getting worse not better.
Should we wait until we are the relegation zone? Bottom of the league ? League 1 ?

It's difficult to know what the new owners will do. As an ex manager will Joe Royal give him more time ? Or will the owners panic and sack him. With Whelan you knew what would happen. Certainly interesting times ahead.

Used up the slack?!

Folk whinge about the Premier league, and how it's short term outlook isn't good for football. Seems like we must have Premier league fans in our midst.

Talk of sacking the Manager, before Christmas, 6 points above the relegation places is pathetic. Yes, there are things he needs to put right......... so rather than get your knickers in a twist, stretch the elastic a touch more, and find a little more slack.

And if we stick with Cook C_Latic, who's to say that he won't eclipse the modest achievements of those two.

My point was that 5 months is no time to go from hero to zero. We've been there before, and got the grubby t-shirt to remind us of our petulant impatience.
I’ve seen enough to know he doesn’t have the managerial chops to get us anywhere near top half of the Championship long term. To do that you have to be tactically astute and your subs must be spot on. We’ve lost every game this season we’ve fallen behind in other than Bolton which proves that Paul Cook is falling short tactically at this level.

Not to mention the fitness of our players, not one late goal scored this season and numerous late goals conceded. The entire backroom staff are obviously not doing their job well enough either.

I’ve seen enough to know he doesn’t have the managerial chops to get us anywhere near top half of the Championship long term.

...... But why didn't you say that you're a football guru C_Latic? All this time, we've been pissing in the wind, and you knew it was always going to be a fruitless exercise.

The season after promotion is always the most difficult for a manager........ especially for a manager of a team whose fans have balls the size of blackcurrants.

Like I said...... pathetic.

...... But why didn't you say that you're a football guru C_Latic? All this time, we've been pissing in the wind, and you knew it was always going to be a fruitless exercise.

The season after promotion is always the most difficult for a manager........ especially for a manager of a team whose fans have balls the size of blackcurrants.

Like I said...... pathetic.
Tell that to Tony Mowbray, manager of last season’s L1 runners up. As for the L1 winners of two years ago, they also entered the Championship last season with a manager with zero experience of the league. At this point they were in 7th place with 38 points. And that was with Leon Clarke leading the line..

So enough of the excuses.

How is Mowbray comparable to Cook?

As for anyone else, for every success, there'll be double the number of failures. Just in case you've not taken it in, we're still six points above relegation, and maybe even on course for your predicted finish.

Of course we could - and maybe even should - be doing better. That's no reason to jump on the managerial merry-go-round again though.

If that's what it takes in order to try and re-establish ourselves in this league Hindley, then so be it.

Needs must.

Oh I agree moonay but the manager isn't immune from the spotlight. Now is not the time but this new ownership ( whoever the hell they are ) will be watching closely.

If that's what it takes in order to try and re-establish ourselves in this league Hindley, then so be it.

Needs must.
We won’t though. We’ll just go down the season after like Barnsley and Burton did last season and Bolton (and possibly Millwall) this season.

Right now the club is stenched in mediocrity both on and off the pitch. It’s up to the new owners to change it. If that means sacking Cook and his staff in the summer (or sooner should a better manager become available) then so be it.

That also includes in the stands, improving the match day experience and facilities, improving the training facilities and making good on their promises in that manifesto.

............ That also includes in the stands, improving the match day experience.........

Oh dear.

If you want Paul Cook to help you to your seat, or to dole out cushions, or even forego his half time to bring you a biscuit, I'm sure that could be arranged.

Oh dear.

If you want Paul Cook to help you to your seat, or to dole out cushions, or even forego his half time to bring you a biscuit, I'm sure that could be arranged.
You happy with us losing fans then? Over 1000 home fans have disappeared since the first game of the season. I’m not surprised more exciting going shopping than going Latics. Boring on and off the pitch.

"Boring off the pitch?"

I'd prefer fans stick with the team.
I'd prefer dabs cheer rather than moan.
I'd prefer fans didn't boo.
I'd prefer fans had realistic expectations.
I'd prefer fans could take ups and downs.
I'd prefer fans didn't think in terms of FIFA games.

All that said, if they can't do these things, I'm not sad to see them go.

You happy with us losing fans then? Over 1000 home fans have disappeared since the first game of the season. I’m not surprised more exciting going shopping than going Latics. Boring on and off the pitch.

Spot on C Latic. Fans need to be cherished and looked after. Haven't seen much of that at Latics recently. Let's hope the owners start to look after and expand the fan base. It's all about the match day experience, despite what Moonay's sarcasm might suggest.

Last edited:
Could well be a sign something might be just around the corner regarding cook
Joe royle has blocked paul cooks move for his friend and chief scout at celtic