Paul Cook | Page 3 | Vital Football

Paul Cook

• Thread starter removed at members request
  • Start date
Paul Cook shouldn't be given anything in the window other than his P45. I have sat back and watched these last few weeks go from bad to worse. Paul Cook needs to be relieved of his duties by our new owners who were all there today to see that garbage and quite quickly before anymore damage is done. Sideways and back passing then hoof ball. The crowds are falling once again as people do not want to watch a side like that.
There is no time to stand still in football and if the manager needs to go then he needs to go. If he was changing things about and trying different things and at least having a go at teams and still losing then I would say he needs to be given time but he isn't and he is miles out of his depth and we are getting worse and worse each week.
The one issue I have is that we will probably see an Everton academy coach try his luck with the set up in the boardroom and that worries me even more.

Relegation form at the moment and utterly dreadful to watch. We can't score goals and most of the players are so lacking in confidence that it is frightening. Something needs to change and fast or our season is only going to end one way

You know you are in trouble when you are getting Ole'd at home by a limited Birmingham team.
Cooks post match again is bollocks if he can't see what everyone in the ground can sadly it's time for someone else to take charge.
Walton wants calling out for the first and third goals as well timidity Stoichkov would be proud of.

Birmingham were awful too and probably their worst performance of the season, they created nothing but were gifted 2 goals due to horrific defensive mistakes (we all know that the 3rd was clearly never a goal) and ended up with their easiest 3 points of the season despite being poor. Which is a major concern. The standard of football from both sides was appalling for this level of football.

Paul Cook shouldn't be given anything in the window other than his P45. I have sat back and watched these last few weeks go from bad to worse. Paul Cook needs to be relieved of his duties by our new owners who were all there today to see that garbage and quite quickly before anymore damage is done. Sideways and back passing then hoof ball. The crowds are falling once again as people do not want to watch a side like that.
There is no time to stand still in football and if the manager needs to go then he needs to go. If he was changing things about and trying different things and at least having a go at teams and still losing then I would say he needs to be given time but he isn't and he is miles out of his depth and we are getting worse and worse each week.
The one issue I have is that we will probably see an Everton academy coach try his luck with the set up in the boardroom and that worries me even more.
So you've forgotten last season and 1st 10 games this season until we lost our creative players. Are you a newbie? So who do you think we should bring in as Manager?

Maybe it was just me, but for the first time I sensed a man under pressure. Not often you see Cook sit down, but at 3-0 he was back in his seat with his head in his hands. Despite what happened last season, the new owners bought a championship club and that's their starting point. They want improvement from the moment they made their investment. To an extent, what went on before they arrived is irrelevant

So you've forgotten last season and 1st 10 games this season until we lost our creative players. Are you a newbie? So who do you think we should bring in as Manager?
Or should we wait until we've lost to West Brom twice, Swansea and Sheff U because unless he makes fundamental changes (which he won't) we will be in the relegation zone. You cannot live on past credits in football it's a current results business.
Don't care who the new manager is as long as he plays the attractive attacking football enjoyed earlier in the season which cook has abandoned

Or should we wait until we've lost to West Brom twice, Swansea and Sheff U because unless he makes fundamental changes (which he won't) we will be in the relegation zone. You cannot live on past credits in football it's a current results business.
Don't care who the new manager is as long as he plays the attractive attacking football enjoyed earlier in the season which cook has abandoned
No point talking about a new manager when you can't even put forward a viable name. Warren Joyce?

Yet the first name that comes to everyones mind is Steve Bruce :rofl:

Can't help but see the contradiction in your post with "unless he makes fundamental changes (which he won't)" and "attractive attacking football enjoyed earlier in the season which cook has abandoned". So which one is it?

Last season with a budget 5 times bigger than all of our rivals but Blackburn - A clown with no eyes would have taken that team up.

Lost our creative players hahaha, we had some injuries to some bang average players but we have had better players on the bench but this tactically incompetent manager will not change anything. This doesn't mean you go away from a system that was getting results.

No point talking about a new manager when you can't even put forward a viable name. Warren Joyce?

A few options that would either be within budget or would be looking for a chance back into the game at this level.

Nathan Jones - Luton Town
Danny Cowley - Lincoln City
Salvisa Jokanovic - No club
Steve Bruce - No club
Roberto di Matteo - No club

My personal choice would be go all out for Nathan Jones at Luton Town who only knows how to play football one way.

So how long have you been supporting WAFC? Did you not witness the panic sackings in the past few years? Nathan Jones? Have you listened to him on D3D4 podcast recently? Did he sound like a man who would leave a possible Championship club? Danny Cowley - what are his credentials? Wouldn't be long before you lot shout out that he hasn't L1 let alone Championship experience. The rest - can WAFC really afford them?

I said yesterday if we lost then the new board would have an uncomfortable Christmas.

There is little point dressing this up, we are abysmal at present and getting progressively worse. A favourable run of fixtures and we come out with 4 points. It isn't good enough. To provide balance we're still 6 points clear of the drop but sadly heading in the wrong direction.

There's no doubt the squad isn't up to it at this level. I've said it before but the summer business was atrocious and this is the sum of that activity. Spending the best part of million on a player that can't make the squad yet we are deficient in so many areas is unfathomable. Naismith isn't good enough for this level and over 2 million for Naismith is fucking madness. Garner is crap, mcmanaman wasnt fit enough to sign but regardless why he sits on his arse every week given the lack of alternatives I just don't understand. The only pluses are Kipre and James.

There are three questions the new board need to find answers for before deciding his future. Firstly who was responsible for identifying and signing all this shite. Secondly who will be responsible for signing off the January signings should we actually make any?

If the answers are Cook and the manager then it's a simple decision he goes now. If he wasn't responsible for recruiting this shite then he gets afforded the benefit of the doubt to turn it around with better signings, be it him or another who signs off on them. If he was responsible but that role is to be delegated elsewhere then it's a more difficult decision for them.

Thirdly they need to sit Cook down and find out why he is making these ridiculous selection decisions, why we have diverged from the early season style and what are his plans to change things around. If they are satisfied then fair enough but if not then he needs to go.

"Thirdly they need to sit Cook down and find out why he is making these ridiculous selection decisions, ..." what makes you think that Cook is responsible?

That was crap again but i don't think we are quite at the point of sacking Cook yet but we need to see something from him to keep the faith - a couple of good back to back performances, a shock result, some sign he has learned from the mistakes he keeps making, show us he is willing to make changes - we need something.

We just had our easiest run of 6 fixtures - we should've realistically aimed for 5 wins but needed at the absolute least 3 wins and 11 points
Yet we could only managed a pitiful 1 win and 5 points against some rotten sides there for the taking. What's worse in all of those games combined we hardly tested the opposition keeper with 4 of the performances against the 4 easier teams were lack lustre at best.

Right now it looks like Cook has completely run out of ideas and that amazing spell at the start of the season was a perfect storm based on last seasons momentum that isn't coming back but the fact there are so many terrible sides propping us up at the momemt means we probably have more breathing room than we should have. But we can't go on like this much longer.

I'd start to look at what managers are potentially available as i do fear in the next few games we may be very tempted to give them a call. But if it comes to it we cant risk another Joyce situation so need to get it lined up properly. Bruce, Jokanovic, Poyet and Oscar Garcia are all available that id be very interested in as are Hughes, Carlos Cavalh and a few others worth a think about so depending on who may be willing to come would make a decision much clearer. No point sacking Cook and then not replacing him with someone better. We dont want Unsworth coming in as a job for the boys to be Joyce part 2.

We also have to decided if we can trust Cook to spend any funds in Jan. Personally if he was the one who wasted 5m on Windass, Garner and Lopes with any more money then it makes it hard to trust him with IECs money.

The next 6 or so games are tough but after blowing the easier games we can't afford to excuse any more bad results and performances - Cook needs to show us something asap.

That was crap again but i don't think we are quite at the point of sacking Cook yet but we need to see something from him to keep the faith - a couple of good back to back performances, a shock result, some sign he has learned from the mistakes he keeps making, show us he is willing to make changes - we need something.

We just had our easiest run of 6 fixtures - we should've realistically aimed for 5 wins but needed at the absolute least 3 wins and 11 points
Yet we could only managed a pitiful 1 win and 5 points against some rotten sides there for the taking. What's worse in all of those games combined we hardly tested the opposition keeper with 4 of the performances against the 4 easier teams were lack lustre at best.

Right now it looks like Cook has completely run out of ideas and that amazing spell at the start of the season was a perfect storm based on last seasons momentum that isn't coming back but the fact there are so many terrible sides propping us up at the momemt means we probably have more breathing room than we should have. But we can't go on like this much longer.

I'd start to look at what managers are potentially available as i do fear in the next few games we may be very tempted to give them a call. But if it comes to it we cant risk another Joyce situation so need to get it lined up properly. Bruce, Jokanovic, Poyet and Oscar Garcia are all available that id be very interested in as are Hughes, Carlos Cavalh and a few others worth a think about so depending on who may be willing to come would make a decision much clearer. No point sacking Cook and then not replacing him with someone better. We dont want Unsworth coming in as a job for the boys to be Joyce part 2.

We also have to decided if we can trust Cook to spend any funds in Jan. Personally if he was the one who wasted 5m on Windass, Garner and Lopes with any more money then it makes it hard to trust him with IECs money.

The next 6 or so games are tough but after blowing the easier games we can't afford to excuse any more bad results and performances - Cook needs to show us something asap.

Yep agree with that. However I'm not sure Cook is willing to make changes and as such won't be able to learn from his mistakes. I'm hoping he proves me wrong as I don't want us changing manager again in this position in the league. Despite that it may become inevitable so yes the alternatives need to be quietly scouted, but that doesn't include Unsworth.

So how long have you been supporting WAFC? Did you not witness the panic sackings in the past few years? Nathan Jones? Have you listened to him on D3D4 podcast recently? Did he sound like a man who would leave a possible Championship club? Danny Cowley - what are his credentials? Wouldn't be long before you lot shout out that he hasn't L1 let alone Championship experience. The rest - can WAFC really afford them?

How long have I supported Wigan. Well I am 39 and went to a game when I was 6. Probably been going home and away for 25 years or so. I have no idea what that has to do with this but that is my history.

Nathan Jones - yes he is a great manager, great stock, plays great football, dresses like a manger and is my choice.
WAFC can afford them all from that list yes.

When you ask does he sound like a man that could lead a club, Paul Cook sounds like a taxi driver with his nonsense and needs to lay off the ale.

Managers are just pieces of the jigsaw as I have no loyalty to them or the players that come and go. This is my club and I want success, I want to be entertained and I want to enjoy going to games. When that stops, something must change. I cannot change my club but I can want what is best and at this time, that means a new manager to take us forward.

Loving my club and supporting my club doesn't mean supporting the employees of the club.