Other PL Games - 20/21 | Page 26 | Vital Football

Other PL Games - 20/21

I only asked lads, tongue in cheek lol! mind I do realise you all understood lol!

Greavsie you are describing every bloody park in the country, esp Sunday Lge, vivid memories lol!

“The FA Cup doesn’t reach the same level in our thoughts that the Premier League does. That’s just one of those things and it’s purely a business decision. The Premier League will definitely be our main viewpoint.”

That was Sean Dyche on justifying fielding a weakened team against Bournemouth last night.

That's probably one of the saddest comments I've heard in football in the last few years.

I don't understand why a club like Burnley can't take the competition seriously. They have no European commitments. It's just six rounds to win the FA Cup. Surely they could manage a league campaign with a few additional cup games? It's the only opportunity their players and fans will have of winning a trophy.

“The FA Cup doesn’t reach the same level in our thoughts that the Premier League does. That’s just one of those things and it’s purely a business decision. The Premier League will definitely be our main viewpoint.”

That was Sean Dyche on justifying fielding a weakened team against Bournemouth last night.

That's probably one of the saddest comments I've heard in football in the last few years.

I don't understand why a club like Burnley can't take the competition seriously. They have no European commitments. It's just six rounds to win the FA Cup. Surely they could manage a league campaign with a few additional cup games? It's the only opportunity their players and fans will have of winning a trophy.

I know Sean, up until the lockdown(s) we'd catch up and eat together in a friends restaurant in London., I know how he has to think and how he has to act.

His job was (it maybe not be just be that in the future) to keep Burnley in the PL, if he can climb a few places, it's the equivalent of a good run in the FA cup (financially), he has a small tight squad and the club invest(s) little in new players of any note.

Because of Sean, they had money in the bank and no debts and largely free from the continuous anxiety of relegation; but they've now been bought by a US investment outfit who were lent money from Micheal Dell's investment fund, but also used the clubs cash balances for paying off the old owners.

Supposedly, they will be investing in the club, but at the moment, no one has seen hair or hide of any investment. So it's a leveraged buy-out by an 'instant' off the shelf company that has used the club's money to pay off the old owners.

His priority cannot yet be changed and may never be - stay in the PL as your prime objective and finish the season as high as you can - ignore all other distractions i.e. risk nothing.

That's why he can't take the FA cup seriously.

Fair enough. I just wonder what strain a few extra FA Cup games would put on a team's league campaign over nine or so months? In all likelihood Burnley won't get beyond the latter stages of the competition anyway once the big teams start flexing their muscles. But at least the players and fans get to dream for a while.

Fair enough. I just wonder what strain a few extra FA Cup games would put on a team's league campaign over nine or so months? In all likelihood Burnley won't get beyond the latter stages of the competition anyway once the big teams start flexing their muscles. But at least the players and fans get to dream for a while.

With the performance margins so slim, and a point here of there can make teh difference between staying up/relegation - it just isn't worth the risk; their fan base is small, their stadium is small and their budgets are small - no player can earn more than 25k a week.

Sean would love to change his outlook, but to do that the club needs investment and will need it over a long period of time.

I know Sean, up until the lockdown(s) we'd catch up and eat together in a friends restaurant in London., I know how he has to think and how he has to act.

His job was (it maybe not be just be that in the future) to keep Burnley in the PL, if he can climb a few places, it's the equivalent of a good run in the FA cup (financially), he has a small tight squad and the club invest(s) little in new players of any note.

Because of Sean, they had money in the bank and no debts and largely free from the continuous anxiety of relegation; but they've now been bought by a US investment outfit who were lent money from Micheal Dell's investment fund, but also used the clubs cash balances for paying off the old owners.

Supposedly, they will be investing in the club, but at the moment, no one has seen hair or hide of any investment. So it's a leveraged buy-out by an 'instant' off the shelf company that has used the club's money to pay off the old owners.

His priority cannot yet be changed and may never be - stay in the PL as your prime objective and finish the season as high as you can - ignore all other distractions i.e. risk nothing.

That's why he can't take the FA cup seriously.
Obviously I do not know Sean Dyche, but what you wrote regards "dosh" ie keeping in the Prem, higher up the table = more than a good FA Cup run, is exactly correct.

With the performance margins so slim, and a point here of there can make teh difference between staying up/relegation - it just isn't worth the risk; their fan base is small, their stadium is small and their budgets are small - no player can earn more than 25k a week.

Sean would love to change his outlook, but to do that the club needs investment and will need it over a long period of time.
In which case he would have been better served fielding the weakest team possible in the 3rd round to ensure an early exit. Being in the competition risks injury to the few first teamers he does play and disrupts preparation for the next league game.

I often wonder what players think in this situation? Knowing the manager would rather the club wasn't still involved in the competition. The vast majority do seem committed and give 100%.

In which case he would have been better served fielding the weakest team possible in the 3rd round to ensure an early exit. Being in the competition risks injury to the few first teamers he does play and disrupts preparation for the next league game.

I often wonder what players think in this situation? Knowing the manager would rather the club wasn't still involved in the competition. The vast majority do seem committed and give 100%.

The other side of the issue, is that he is forced to make some sort of show of it, just to keep his job and to keep his bosses happy.