Other Clubs News Discussion Thread 2 | Page 691 | Vital Football

Other Clubs News Discussion Thread 2

Is there, one may wonder, any point in continuing to compete at the top level, given the imminent takeover of that star of the future, Newcastle, by the Saudi Sovereign Fund? Here's the odd thought as to why the future for us mere mortals might not be so bleak.

A few months ago Saudi started an oil war. The idea was to punish the Russians for refusing to take part in an oil price fixing scheme. The problem was, and is, the oil price was already under pressure. The inevitable outcome was that Saudi income fell below what was necessary to keep the state in the black; they were losing money, big time.

This seemed not to worry the Crown Prince (Slasher to his friends) but it worried a whole host of other people. Not least the Financial Times, who reckoned that if continued to would bankrupt Saudi within 3 years. A temporary truce was called, but it now appears that Saudi has almost immediately broken it.

Interesting times ahead. The idea that Newcastle may end up cresting a wave of oil-fuelled dollars to achieve dominance over everybody else could be about to sink like a stone.

Yes, struck me that the justification of the company's inception date to cover sidelining into football numerous years later for the cricket club was a little lose to reality.

Be like us claiming McGregor's influence in the start of the FL means we were created when he first had the idea and long before we got to a gas lit lamp stage.

Didn't the Palace Company fold? Therefore was the football club not reinvented after that....say 1905? And haven't they gone bust since?

And the fuss over Pochettino is for what ?.

Failure and hugely overrated at an over hyped Spurs. Couldn't even get them to win the league when all the usuals were handing it to them on a plate .

No trophies at any club he has managed.
Show me your medals is how I judge managers not getting a rich club into an over inflated cup and leading your team out at a shiny new stadium. Big wow.

The manager who slipped through the net that does bother me is Carlo Ancelotti at Everton - And who would have thought that?

He could have been great at Villa Park with all his managerial experience and European contacts.

A big manager for a big job and a big club like AVFC - It could have been so good but now we will never know?

Last edited:
Obviously nobody has mentioned FFP to Newcastle, not that they are targeting anyone just normal bullshit you get about the takeover and the Geordie dreamers

I can just imagine those geordies reaction when they find out that they can't spend anything close to what their owners can afford.
Apparently they have offered Poch £19m a season, that will impact on their spending too.