Other Clubs News Discussion Thread 2 | Page 1118 | Vital Football

Other Clubs News Discussion Thread 2

Definitely have both for me too, Both players have that intelligent play to be more than just a striker and drop off and contribute, You'd never want to see either of those come off the bench let alone play alongside or behind one another.

Brendan Rogers to me is a top class manager. I don’t know much about his character, except he has a few slightly odd, inspirational quotes in him. But when you watch Leicester, you can see a team who prepare meticulously, they always seem organised and in sync with each other. The goal from the corner they all know what’s going on. It’s not just set piece preparation that gives an advantage, it’s in open play thing too.

Last edited:
Brendan Rogers to me is a top class manager.

I wonder how he would have fared if he had the time to bed in Benteke and play to his strengths. One of the few times recently Leicester got it wrong was hired that French lad (Puel?) and he refused to play in a way that suited Vardy. I don't think it was the easiest fixes for Rodgers to come in play attacking football but also create space for Vardy to run into. Puel just showed how useless passing the ball around is without a plan to integrate your striker.

Leicester having a very good season and they may well have the depth and consistency to challenge. Player for player they should really be top 4 imo, but still, they look very beatable to me. Everyone does this year.

Chelsea have been very poor. Looking back they actually played okay vs us. Here they look like they've barely been coached, stuck between tactics. They've got the personal for a great counter attacking team but seem to want to slow it down...and that's got to be down to fat frank.

I wonder how he would have fared if he had the time to bed in Benteke and play to his strengths. One of the few times recently Leicester got it wrong was hired that French lad (Puel?) and he refused to play in a way that suited Vardy. I don't think it was the easiest fixes for Rodgers to come in play attacking football but also create space for Vardy to run into. Puel just showed how useless passing the ball around is without a plan to integrate your striker.
Benteke was pretty much finished by the time he showed up there IMO, when his achilles exploded here that was pretty much the end of him in terms of a player who go on to become world class.

I always thought Benteke was the wrong personality for liverpool. As talented as he was, at liverpool you have to do it week in, week out. Benteke was happy to turn up every other week, not once every three days bouncing between, league, champs league, cup games and whatever else they played. The likes of Torres and Suarez, and nowadays Mane and Firmino, were all workhorses with end product.

As for the Vardy point, to me football is a pretty simple game if you build the team around your goal scorers. I think some managers especially younger ones, over complicate the game. Look at Lampard, a different XI every week - how can they get any understanding? All young managers do it, you see it at international level even more so.

I did say we'll be down to 11th before we play our next game, Crazy to think if we win our next 4 games in hand we'll be first in the league assuming Man City don't win both of their games in hand and Man Utd fail to win their game in hand.

You'd like to think the players are up for this challenge and we can pick up at least 6 points from the 4 games at the very least from what we've seen so far.

As for the Vardy point, to me football is a pretty simple game if you build the team around your goal scorers. I think some managers especially younger ones, over complicate the game. Look at Lampard, a different XI every week - how can they get any understanding? All young managers do it, you see it at international level even more so.

I wish I could remember who said it but someone was saying as a young manager you have little to draw from. I remember it was specifically addressing OGS chopping and changing his team trying to find a result. The comment came after losing points to Palace.

Whoever it was said "you look at Hodgson when he's going through a bad run theres no panic. You might lose 3 games but change nothing. You know sometimes these runs just happen but if nothing is fundamentally changing on the pitch then you know results will come".

I think that's a good thing about Dean and why this 'young and hungry' manager thing bollocks. Dean's fairly young but he has massive experience. I feel like young and hungry managers get worn out much quicker too. They take on these big jobs, feel immense pressure and then fuck off to a mickey mouse league or smaller team or just generally lesser pressure jobs for a few years. Liverpool was probably a tiny bit too sooner for Rodgers. Andre Villas-Boas, first time I heard of him in 5 years was because we're in for one of his players.

Klopp for all his moaning doesnt change his team very often and I am glad Deano doesnt either.