Olympic Games | Page 5 | Vital Football

Olympic Games

Not having watched any of it a bit confused that Softball & Baseball are both played, I imagine they’re similar games?
I think soft ball is the female equivalent of baseball and I believe the ladies pitch the ball underarm (rounders). I may be wrong but that's how it appeared the one time I watched part of a softball game.

Yesterday I switched to Eurosport for the Athletics sick of watching endless talking on the BBC where I found actual sport on.

Yesterday I switched to Eurosport for the Athletics sick of watching endless talking on the BBC where I found actual sport on.

Yes, in the days of Ron Pickering and Coleman you seemed to see every throw and jump, as well as the races. Nowadays, you have to watch the experts talking, hardly seeing anything of the field events.

EDIT: In fact were rather short of field eventers these days, aren't we?

Last edited:
Yes, in the days of Ron Pickering and Coleman you seemed to see every throw and jump, as well as the races. Nowadays, you have to watch the experts talking, hardly seeing anything of the field events.

EDIT: In fact were rather short of field eventers these days, aren't we?

And families talking about the people who actually won - would rather see what the winners actually did!!

What’s the view on the forum for the New Zealand trans athlete competing in the women’s weightlifting?

I’m all for accepting her lifestyle as a woman, but do not think she should be competing against the women - 30 years of increased testosterone levels and male genetic build gives an unsporting advantage.

Appreciate it’s a very complex issue, but sometimes in real life sacrifices are needed to be made and unfortunately for her I believe she should not be allowed to compete in this catagory at the olympics - this however does not me she should be excluded from the support she enjoys. Maybe a trans catagory in the future or trans olympics?

What’s the view on the forum for the New Zealand trans athlete competing in the women’s weightlifting?

I’m all for accepting her lifestyle as a woman, but do not think she should be competing against the women - 30 years of increased testosterone levels and male genetic build gives an unsporting advantage.

Appreciate it’s a very complex issue, but sometimes in real life sacrifices are needed to be made and unfortunately for her I believe she should not be allowed to compete in this catagory at the olympics - this however does not me she should be excluded from the support she enjoys. Maybe a trans catagory in the future or trans olympics?
There's an excellent article by Janice Turner in yesterday's Times in this, sadly paywall precludes link but worth a read as she's one of the best and bravest writers around in defending women's rights. IOC have got themselves in knots over this. The New Zealander has unfair physical advantages, transitioning has taken her from a mediocre male weightlifter to a competitive female one. Testosterone suppressants maintain a level which us legal but still far higher than the normal female range. Ironically, athletes from Pacific Islands which have a traditional tolerance of trans/intersex have failed to qualify as a consequence.

It's not about transphobia but about fairness, and this isn't fair to the other female athletes.

Such a difficult subject.
Almost needs dealing with individual by individual. Few cases if any will be the same.

GB are doing well in winning medals unexpectedly in sports we’ve never done well in but I’m feeling disappointed in some of the more mainstream/team sports where I think we’re under performing, e.g Rugby 7s, Football, Rowing and I think we’ll struggle in the athletics. Maybe Sailing & Boxing will give us a boost, Cycling in the velodrome not sure how strong we are there compared to previous games.
Well down on Gold medals from this stage in last 2 games.

Blimey how nail biting was the 49er Sailing Gold this morning? Absolutely loving watching some of the minor Sports in these Olympics. Well done Fletcher & Bithell on a thrilling Gold.

The sailing commentator is so negative and annoying though 😩 Well done Giles Scott, never in doubt.

Last edited:
You know who isn't a fan of the Olympics!
Too much coverage, not proper sport...
Football and cricket only should be on the BBC....
Why do I have to work with this total Moron?

Still getting bit annoyed by bbc showing some things over and over again and also all the "let's talk to every one in the bronze medallist's village", and all the boring studio pundit chats.
All of which massively reduces the actual events that they show.

1968 was my first proper watching of the olympics . Black power protest and all . But this one i cant really get into this one . Nothing to do with the games themselves , but to many "sports" , and i use the teerm loselly . To me the olympics should be swimming , Track and Field , Gymnastics , Sailing, Boxing and Cycling .
People want to see the best the a particular sport , which you wont get in things like football , golf etc etc .

But thinks like BMX and Skate Boarding ?? really . On the radio this morning even a skate boarder said it wasnt a sport , because they do tricks and not disciplines fair point i think .
Marbles anyone ????

Still getting bit annoyed by bbc showing some things over and over again and also all the "let's talk to every one in the bronze medallist's village", and all the boring studio pundit chats.
All of which massively reduces the actual events that they show.

agree totally , as for the presenters , well if thats the best BBC can do . last one out turn the lights off . Even extends to those who present and commentate on football . why i dont watch

Having said that the only two that deserve praise are Andrew Cotter and the USA former athlete Micheal Johnstone .