Odd random stuff | Page 5 | Vital Football

Odd random stuff

I thought it was very telling that in the press release confirming that they're going to file for administration that it was pretty much all about how they've been impacted by covid (virtually wiped out their income & they couldn't furlough enough staff i.e. players) and that without it they would have a viable & profitable business that was attractive to investors.
As sure as night follows day, I can see the administrators going down the same route as Latics admin did & appeal the points deduction because of force majure. I'm not saying that they'll be successful but I would say that they've got a higher chance of success than Latics did - the fact that Au Yeung bought Latics in the middle of the pandemic & had already consulted the administrators before completing the purchase meant we never stood a chance of succeeding. Derby, certainly from the outside looking in, seem to have been badly mismanaged for some years but can legitimately point to millions upon millions of lost income as a result of having to continue playing whilst in lockdown. If they can prove that without that they'd be operating and able to service any debts and that investors have withdrawn as a result of this loss of income then who knows what'll happen
Except as the EFL stated, every club has had the EFL covid loan, so why are WRDCFC different from any other club.

Except as the EFL stated, every club has had the EFL covid loan, so why are WRDCFC different from any other club.

2 things make them different:
1. Wayne Rooney manages them
2. the EFL have let Derby off with everything else for year

So it wouldn't shock me if they overturn the 12 points penalty too.

I feel sorry for the Derby fans as this isn't their doing, but as a club i think Derby are long overdue a huge comeuppance for what they've got away with over the last couple of years.

Whether they've had the loan or not isn't really relevant to be honest - Club's have wage bills dependant on the income they get through the gate, sponsorship, corporate, investment etc..
As a result Derby's wage bill is likely to be significantly higher than say Luton's. I don't know how that loan was shared out but if each club got the same amount then it wouldn't help Derby as much as Luton. I also read that the loans only helped clubs cover their PAYE liabilities (tax & NI) rather than actual salary costs so again it wouldn't have helped clubs cover all costs especially those with higher wage costs
Derby were very deliberate in saying that without covid they could be functioning at break even or profit so I'd imagine they're busy trying to get any evidence ready to back that claim up. With the way they've wriggled like hell during these FFP charges, they've clearly got a very slick legal team behind them
I'm not saying that I do or don't believe them (especially as I read over the weekend that Derby's wage bill had trebled since the current owner took charge) but if they're somehow able to be able to show that is the case then it's a far stronger force majure case than Latics ever had - & again I'm not saying they'll win just that I can see them already lining up their appeal

I can‘t see any way the EFL will accept COVID as a force majeure argument ….I appreciate (to some degree) the distinction between our (Au Yeung’s) circumstances and Derby’s re COVID …..but they’d be setting a precedent that could open Pandora’s box.
A wider number of clubs teetering on the brink might then think they could take the ‘Admin route’ to clearing most of their debts on the basis they’d only be forced to pay 25% of what they owe….(and thereby avoid any transfer embargo) without the threat of the 12 point penalty.

My dad & his elder sister were both born in Plymouth. They moved to Wigan when dad was 2. He should have supported Plymouth Argyle by all accounts, yet became a latics fan. My son was born in Liverpool, yet has followed both my dad & I as latics fans whilst his half brother & half sister both support Liverpool.

As far as I'm concerned Emma Raducanu is British. She might have been born in Canada, but has grown up in Bromley since the age of 2. Living in Britain is all she has known.

Agree altogether on Raducanu ….being here since she was two, all she’s ever known or remembered or learned has been ‘Britain’

As opposed to Greg Rusedski, (for example) born in Montreal and although with a British born mother he didn’t ’decide to be British‘ until he was in his early twenties ….Canadians were pissed off about that and I can understand why.

Though given you are nominally representing your country in Tennis rather than your town or city the comparison with your situation Runcorn is a bit different.

At the outset folk from one town supporting another (typically much bigger) club sets my teeth on edge ….though I fully recognise where you have a clear dual choice.

Myself and a work colleague (a Stretford born and bred Man United fan) used to regularly berate folk from across the country who we met in the course of the job who were (in our view) f*****g frauds 😁
…..however

One such guy was a Liverpool fan based all his life in Salisbury …..but as he more than adequately explained, his Dad was an exiled Scouser who had brought him up to be an avid LFC fan and he routinely trekked up to Anfield every fortnight for home games and went to all the South of England ‘aways’ …..so fair play …we saluted him accordingly !!

Agree altogether on Raducanu ….being here since she was two, all she’s ever known or remembered or learned has been ‘Britain’

As opposed to Greg Rusedski, (for example) born in Montreal and although with a British born mother he didn’t ’decide to be British‘ until he was in his early twenties ….Canadians were pissed off about that and I can understand why.

Though given you are nominally representing your country in Tennis rather than your town or city the comparison with your situation Runcorn is a bit different.

At the outset folk from one town supporting another (typically much bigger) club sets my teeth on edge ….though I fully recognise where you have a clear dual choice.

Myself and a work colleague (a Stretford born and bred Man United fan) used to regularly berate folk from across the country who we met in the course of the job who were (in our view) f*****g frauds 😁
…..however

One such guy was a Liverpool fan based all his life in Salisbury …..but as he more than adequately explained, his Dad was an exiled Scouser who had brought him up to be an avid LFC fan and he routinely trekked up to Anfield every fortnight for home games and went to all the South of England ‘aways’ …..so fair play …we saluted him accordingly !!

Just to clarify my fellow Tics mon, I am born & bred in Wigan & have supported latics since our very first league game in 1978. I moved to runcorn in 2004 when I met the lady who is now my wife.
I however, did witness a few runcornians become wigan fans from 2005, who sadly tailored off around 2013 - 14 onwards. I wonder why 🤔

Just to clarify my fellow Tics mon, I am born & bred in Wigan & have supported latics since our very first league game in 1978. I moved to runcorn in 2004 when I met the lady who is now my wife.
I however, did witness a few runcornians become wigan fans from 2005, who sadly tailored off around 2013 - 14 onwards. I wonder why 🤔
It's not just a Wigan thing, every club who gets relegated from the Prem loses a few thousand "fans".

Prem matches up and down the country have always had a sizeable "tourist" element.
I remember when the Yoof played at Old Trafford before lockdown last year, there was quite a few "tourists" sat with us.
A lot of it is so they can say to their mates back home... "I've watched Man Utd play at Old Trafford..." etc etc etc.

It is what it is unfortunately...

I once bumped into one of those "new" fans after a game at our local chippy once I had arrived back in runcorn. I said it's great to see a fellow wigan supporter. I thought I was the only one especially around these neck of the woods. He replied, I'm actually a Liverpool fan but can't get a season ticket. I thought I'd get one at wigan. He even had the wigan top on & everything.

I've bumped into him a few times since that day walking around the runcorn shopping city in a Liverpool shirt 🤬

I once bumped into one of those "new" fans after a game at our local chippy once I had arrived back in runcorn. I said it's great to see a fellow wigan supporter. I thought I was the only one especially around these neck of the woods. He replied, I'm actually a Liverpool fan but can't get a season ticket. I thought I'd get one at wigan. He even had the wigan top on & everything.

I've bumped into him a few times since that day walking around the runcorn shopping city in a Liverpool shirt 🤬
That's more common than you think.
I have 2 fellas sat behind me in the South Stand (I assume they're father & son) and they're exactly the same.
I think they live in either Winstanley or Hawkley Hall, they're season ticket holders and have been for several seasons but, they're Liverpool first and foremost.

That's more common than you think.
I have 2 fellas sat behind me in the South Stand (I assume they're father & son) and they're exactly the same.
I think they live in either Winstanley or Hawkley Hall, they're season ticket holders and have been for several seasons but, they're Liverpool first and foremost.

The two guys I go with are both Man Utd fans first and foremost but have been season ticket holders at the DW for many years and will happily call themselves Tic's fans.

My first team were Latics in the non league days and I went all over the country supporting them in the NPL, however I also supported Liverpool. There was never a conflict for me until we reached the PL. I always went to watch my home town team and the occasional game at Anfield, but that changed when we got into the top division ( I never in my wildest dreams ever thought we would get there), there was no doubt about were my allegiances lay and unfortunately for the scousers it wasn't with them.

However I must admit to looking at their results immediately after checking ours.

May have passed a lot of our fans by last night given we were concentrating on the cup match (unlike Leam apparently who is clearly concentrating on the league) but Pompey's 95th minute equaliser prevented Plymouth going top of the table.
Incredible start for Plymouth this season considering they struggled throughout much of last season.

May have passed a lot of our fans by last night given we were concentrating on the cup match (unlike Leam apparently who is clearly concentrating on the league) but Pompey's 95th minute equaliser prevented Plymouth going top of the table.
Incredible start for Plymouth this season considering they struggled throughout much of last season.
Cheers Arthur, went to bed last night thinking we were no longer top, happy days.
:wahey:

Achieving the dream, maybe

Barcelona are preparing to part ways with head coach Ronald Koeman, with Belgium boss Roberto Martinez the "preferred option" to replace the Dutchman. (Goal)