O/T What did you Learn today ? | Page 5 | Vital Football

O/T What did you Learn today ?

This is a totally useless piece of information which doesn't fit on this thread but it doesn't deserve a thread of its own. I thought I'd share it anyway.

I'm on the Tesco grocery website doing a bit of shopping and I want to re-order some string which is in 'my favourites' section. It's out of stock so as an alternative it says 'You could substitute with........Tesco White C5 Envelopes 25Pk'. What?

What do you use string for ?

Never drive too close to an R driver or you'll live to regret it. Thankfully i was only an observer but on my travels i've witnessed many a driver come a cropper.

I’ve learnt today that string has a very limited use . I can only think of a few applications , most of them involve tying things up .
The correlation between string and white envelopes is a tricky one , and I can’t think of one application of an envelope that would be any help .
Maybe they have had a run on string and the envelopes just aren’t shifting .
Just thought I would try and help, Greavsie obviously tried and failed and Nick doesn’t even know what string is used for .........
Got me there Gary !
what you didn’t tell us though , did you buy any envelopes? They are always handy !

I’ve learnt today that string has a very limited use . I can only think of a few applications , most of them involve tying things up .
The correlation between string and white envelopes is a tricky one , and I can’t think of one application of an envelope that would be any help .
Just thought I would try and help, Greavsie obviously tried and failed and Nick doesn’t even know what string is used for .........
Got me there Gary !
what you didn’t tell us though , did you buy any envelopes? They are always handy !

I didnt want to pursue the string and letters thing, I didnt understand but thought best to just let it go.
I use string quite a bit. Used some in the garden to tie some rather tall plants to stakes. Used some today to keep my van doors shut because the office desk was a tad long !!. I also use it to tie on price labels to some furniture. But I've never used it instead of an envelope !!

Am I on a different planet these days , what is an R driver ? :shrug:
No it's simply where a young driver has to display an R plate for 2 years after passing their test. As far as i'm aware it's only in practice on the Emerald Isle. Moved over with the missus who hails from the lesser known Holywood, or where Rory Mcllroy comes from if that's of any help to you Walt.

No it's simply where a young driver has to display an R plate for 2 years after passing their test. As far as i'm aware it's only in practice on the Emerald Isle. Moved over with the missus who hails from the lesser known Holywood, or where Rory Mcllroy comes from if that's of any help to you Walt.
Thanks Steve , obviously I didn’t know you were in beautiful Ireland, it wasn’t something I knew about . You live and learn every day . We do have something similar over here but I can’t remember what it is. I think it’s something very similar to the “L” plates when you are learning .

Got me there Gary !
As it happens Walt I did buy some envelopes! I had no intention of buying them when I went on there but then it occurred to me, as you pointed out, they could be handy. F*** me, they know how to hook you in these retailers.

Morning all, I note everybody is wondering about string, maybe in these "hard" times' the making/sewing of "string vests" is the now the new cheap option in thing, just a thought.

Goodness me, what an ignorant bunch....haven’t you heard about String Theory....The Theory of Everything...here is a link...there will be a test later...

https://www.space.com/17594-string-theory.html

No doubt someone will have The Envelope Theory to discuss.

The envelope theorem is a result about the differentiability properties of the value function of a parameterized optimization problem. As we change parameters of the objective, the envelope theorem shows that, in a certain sense, changes in the optimizer of the objective do not contribute to the change in the objective function. The envelope theorem is an important tool for comparative statics of optimization models.

Discuss.

To help you in the discussion:

After removing the string that was keeping my van doors shut. I unloaded the vintage office desk and put it all together. I solved the puzzle of the centre section which lowers to enable typewriter storage when not in use. A bit of cosmetic work and now it's ready to go. String came to my aid in getting it collected.

The envelope theorem is a result about the differentiability properties of the value function of a parameterized optimization problem. As we change parameters of the objective, the envelope theorem shows that, in a certain sense, changes in the optimizer of the objective do not contribute to the change in the objective function. The envelope theorem is an important tool for comparative statics of optimization models.

Discuss.

To help you in the discussion:

See, I told you....did you see the way the Strings appeared to magic the moving of his equations around the whiteboard....I ought to point out several holes in his logic and maths but it’s time to cook dinner now..