New signing today | Page 4 | Vital Football

New signing today

shotshy

Vital 1st Team Regular
Looking at the stats you’re right, Bristol Rovers haven’t been in top flight any time recently. That’s not me trying to make up things, you can blame my dad for putting it in my mind that at some point in the 90s the two Bristol teams were a force.

In terms of attendances I’d say they’re better than ours on average - their recent division 4 attendances match our Championship ones, and other than us spending a season or two more at that level they beat our attendances. It means we would have to be in the Championship to get the attendances they’ve been getting in League 2.

Recent media reports have shown surprise at recent attendances, but I can imagine it going back to 8-9k this season. We’ll piddle about with 5.5-6k.

First set of figures below are Bristol Rovers, second set are Gills.

View attachment 41255

View attachment 41256

I think you’re refusing to accept that they’ll have a more competitive budget than we will. Let’s just see how our teams shape up at the start of the season and how we do.
I 100% accept that Rovers budget is bigger than ours because ours is the lowest in the division and always has been 😉.
The point of their larger average attendance is because they are a city team as opposed to a provincial one like us.
I think that they will be under enormous pressure at home this season to deliver.
Their fans seem to think they will piss this division.

SteveTreacle

Vital Squad Member
I 100% accept that Rovers budget is bigger than ours because ours is the lowest in the division and always has been 😉.
The point of their larger average attendance is because they are a city team as opposed to a provincial one like us.
I think that they will be under enormous pressure at home this season to deliver.
Their fans seem to think they will piss this division.
And more importantly to me, who's their manager? In the current climate, that's probably a more important factor than anything and we've got a seasoned wizened nasty old pro, they've got a young lad with all the badges and experience of youth and reserve team football at some top clubs, but little first team experience. I know what I'd rather have...

alphabet_king

Vital 1st Team Regular
And more importantly to me, who's their manager? In the current climate, that's probably a more important factor than anything and we've got a seasoned wizened nasty old pro, they've got a young lad with all the badges and experience of youth and reserve team football at some top clubs, but little first team experience. I know what I'd rather have...
Well we'll see wont we. Ill be there at the memorial ground supporting the gas to success next year. Up the gas!

SteveTreacle

Vital Squad Member
Well we'll see wont we. Ill be there at the memorial ground supporting the gas to success next year. Up the gas!
We will see and I hope that you’re wrong and wily old Scally and canny Evans overcome the Abu Dhabi Royal Family and the Sultan of Brunei pumping their billions into Rovers with whom, we of course, can’t compete.

Last edited:

LancsGordoRoad

Vital 1st Team Regular
L1 Northampton Town manager Keith Curle on Vadaine Oliver`s move to GFC, quoted in today`s Northampton Chronicle:

"Truth be told, Vadaine received a fantastic offer from one of our competitors and it was an offer we couldn't compete with and one he couldn't financially turn down.
But as the old adage goes, there's no point crying over spilt milk and Curle is already on the lookout for a replacement."

Sounds like GFC is a club looking to compete.

OneSirKeefy

Vital 1st Team Regular
L1 Northampton Town manager Keith Curle on Vadaine Oliver`s move to GFC, quoted in today`s Northampton Chronicle:

"Truth be told, Vadaine received a fantastic offer from one of our competitors and it was an offer we couldn't compete with and one he couldn't financially turn down.
But as the old adage goes, there's no point crying over spilt milk and Curle is already on the lookout for a replacement."

FMD!! I can only assume NTFC can’t compete with £10pw and £5 per goal.

Surely we wouldn’t be throwing “big” money at a relative unknown quantity coming up a division? If we were giving any decent wages out I’d have thought it would be to known fair quality players from other L1 or maybe lower Championship clubs.

Edit - thinking about it, Keith Curles words are almost exactly the words SE used when talking about Max Ehmer and Bristol Rovers. Maybe it’s all just manager-speak for the fans benefit.

madrid_gill

Vital Squad Member
Edit - thinking about it, Keith Curles words are almost exactly the words SE used when talking about Max Ehmer and Bristol Rovers. Maybe it’s all just manager-speak for the fans benefit.
That was my first thought as well.

Either that, or we offered to match Northampton's offer and throw in a packet of Quavers and a can of 7-Up every Friday. Northampton told him he'd have to buy his own, that was what clinched it for us in the end.

LancsGordoRoad

Vital 1st Team Regular

Surely we wouldn’t be throwing “big” money at a relative unknown quantity coming up a division? If we were giving any decent wages out I’d have thought it would be to known fair quality players from other L1 or maybe lower Championship clubs.
Vadaine`s gonna be good, OSK, real gooood

GillsBluenose

Vital 1st Team Regular

"Truth be told" followed by something that many people will know is unlikely to be the truth? - unless of course Vadaine was on minimum wage with the Cobblers.

Trashbat

Vital Squad Member

Agreed.

There must be a standard press pack for managers and players.

The one phrase I currently the most is when a new signing says:

“I had a number of offers from other clubs in League 1 and above...”

Bollocks to that. You came because it was the best offer on the table. Be honest and say it as it is.

Close second is:

“I know that the fans are really passionate and that’s what swayed me.”

Bullshit. You just want to be liked by the fans but there is no need to lie. You came because it was the best offer on the table. The passion of the fans had no part to play in your decision.

LancsGordoRoad

Vital 1st Team Regular
Licence and tradition to exaggerate when signing and releasing players - don`t suppose we`ve ever done that. Don`t suppose PS is too chuffed with Curle`s statement as it implies we are shelling out decent wages - which hardly assists talks with agents. Maybe Curle said what he did because he was annoyed at not being able to hang on to a good player ?
Well, i`m really glad he chose to come to GFC - welcome Vadaine.

Nobby_66

Vital 1st Team Regular
Licence and tradition to exaggerate when signing and releasing players - don`t suppose we`ve ever done that. Don`t suppose PS is too chuffed with Curle`s statement as it implies we are shelling out decent wages - which hardly assists talks with agents. Maybe Curle said what he did because he was annoyed at not being able to hang on to a good player ?
Well, i`m really glad he chose to come to GFC - welcome Vadaine.
Might be more to do with the length of contract offered than the money I suppose. Haven't read how long he's signed for or how long he was offered at NTFC so just guessing 🤔
If we've offered 2 years but they only offered 1 on roughly the same money, that is a much better offer.

Baghdad_Rob

Vital Squad Member

Wait? When commenting did Keith Curle refer to himself in third person?

Rob_b100

Vital Squad Member

i presume Bristol Rovers never wanted him then

Captainreblue

Vital Squad Member
Might be more to do with the length of contract offered than the money I suppose. Haven't read how long he's signed for or how long he was offered at NTFC so just guessing 🤔
If we've offered 2 years but they only offered 1 on roughly the same money, that is a much better offer.
Come on, Nobby, its got nothing to do with the money or length of contract, its the packets of crisps offered that sealed the deal. We're living in different times now, signing on crisps are the new normal.

GillsBluenose

Vital 1st Team Regular
Come on, Nobby, its got nothing to do with the money or length of contract, its the packets of crisps offered that sealed the deal. We're living in different times now, signing on crisps are the new normal.
Is Lineker coming out of retirement, then? I am sure that is what his BBC salary is paid in. :yes:

Gills 58

Vital 1st Team Regular
You seem to have a bit of an obsession with me, just because I have a high opinion of and back our own club, rather than blow smoke up the arse and inflate the size and quality of rivals in our division. Also, I’ve never called a former player of ours a “prick”, Finally, one of our players going to someone who finished below us last season is a bit different to this guy moving from a team who finished 7th in League Two last season going to a team who finished 10th in League One
Ok, we heard you first time.:grinning: