New signing today | Page 2 | Vital Football

New signing today

From a Cobblers fan on Gills Facebook page.......

Cobblers fan in peace. When we signed him from Morecambe, we were dubious as his record wasn't exactly great. As the season went on and he broke into the first team, he grew in confidence and became a real handful. First half of last season he was average at best, second half of the season he was unplayable at times and became an important player in a physical, direct side. Disappointed he rejected a new deal but he is unproven at L1 so would be a gamble for the Cobblers or the Gills. Hope he does well.

I`ve seen this guy play and am really glad he`s joined GFC. He`s not a youngster (28) but he`s quick, strong and definitely has something about him, has the tools to do the job - he`s actually someone I saw play recently and thought he`d be ideal for us - nice one Steve Evans ! Pleased with this signing.

If the people who are not happy with this signing, I can say someone has offered to lend me a pair of boots. If I can get a pair of size 11, then I'll be raring!

If we are going for a very young squad and of course we have seen no evidence thus far.But having a guy that can win the ball up front can be vital. IE defenders and midfielders have a out ball.That could be vital when under pressure. By the sound of it he will also close defenders down and cut down their space .This allows others to pick up the ball.Given our lack of money. It probably makes a lot of sense to aim to spread the goals around. So I would expect a few potential goal scorers in midfield to back up Oliver and Akindie. It probably signals the fact that Hanlan is going to leave .As we will need that other forward to have a greater likelihood of goals .I would expect it to be a young loan player or two given the comments .
Totally get this signing a good addition in the current circumstances.

Last edited:
If we are going for a very young squad and of course we have seen no evidence thus far.But having a guy that can win the ball up front can be vital. IE defenders and midfielders have a out ball.That could be vital when under pressure. By the sound of it he will also close defenders down and cut down their space .This allows others to pick up the ball.Given our lack of money. It probably makes s lot of sense to aim to spread the goals around. So I would expect a few potential goal scorers in midfield to back up Oliver and Akindie. It probably signals the fact that Hanlan is going to leave .As we will need that other forward to have a greater likelihood of goals .I would expect it to be a young loan player or two given the comments .
Totally get this signing a good addition in the current circumstances.
What if the other striker is a wide forward like Jordan Roberts? Would give us the ability to play 2 up top or 3 up top with Hanlan and Roberts out wide. Could always stick Hanlan our wide with a winger on the other side? That would give us the ability to change our shape according to the opposition.

Little clue as to how we’ll shape up at the back or in midfield yet as we know there‘ll be many more in. Jackson and Oliver are 28 but were key players in league 2 challengers. I feel a similar defender and then we can then pad out the squad with loanees and youngsters who may or may not work out.

Welcome to the club. Good to see that we are attractive to players. Gillingham fans take to people who work hard so I can see him being well received.

What if the other striker is a wide forward like Jordan Roberts? Would give us the ability to play 2 up top or 3 up top with Hanlan and Roberts out wide. Could always stick Hanlan our wide with a winger on the other side? That would give us the ability to change our shape according to the opposition.

Little clue as to how we’ll shape up at the back or in midfield yet as we know there‘ll be many more in. Jackson and Oliver are 28 but were key players in league 2 challengers. I feel a similar defender and then we can then pad out the squad with loanees and youngsters who may or may not work out.
I would be a little surprised if he kept Hanlan as a wide player having spent a whole season playing central. As for Roberts I would not rule it out but it doesn't seem to fit with the young bit that was said at least once before we signed anyone. Having now signed two fairly experienced players I would not have thought there were too many more and having a all experienced front line of three doesn't seem to fit in with that description. A loan player or two that have got goals at under 23 level would seem to fit better with what Evans has done last season and what we have been told of the situation. I would definitely expect us to use the loan system to it's full given the young squad we were told .The current world conditions doesn't point to a lot of permanent signings.

I would be a little surprised if he kept Hanlan as a wide player having spent a whole season playing central. .

I wouldn't Chris. I would imagine that Evans is sick of his low strike rate (he lashes at everything rather than showing composure). Converting him to a wide player where he can use that pace might pay off. Either that or Hanlan is off . Mind you I see todays signing as a replacement for Mandron - like for like.

I’ve looked into the average age of the squad who we had come the end of the season (just for you, Chris 😉). The crosses obviously represent those who aren’t with us anymore, and I’ve added the age of any replacements so far.

Let’s just say I was waiting for something to install and was itching for something to do.

C6FA8A5E-3AFE-4719-98DD-FD5081C49AD4.jpeg

We are not going to sign a striker that scored 20+ goals in League 2 or higher last season because we can’t afford the wages those players command.
Hopefully this will guy will be a Tom Eaves type success for us, he works hard, runs the channels and is good in the air, and is also good at bringing others into play, going by reports today.
I think we could do with a quick and nimble striker to play off him, perhaps Hanlan or ideally someone who is more of a natural finisher.

Just reading through 80-odd comments on twitter from NTFC fans. It seems they absolutely love him and are gutted.

He must definitely bring something more than just his goal record. They saying he was MOTSeries in the play-offs. Anyone on here watch their games?

Anyway, welcome Vadaine and good luck at Gills 👍

I don't know enough about this chap to comment so will reserve judgement until I've seen him play some games.

He sounds like someone who works hard which we all like.

Best of luck Vadaine 👍🏼

Ben jackson is Northampton's version of SteveTreacle 🤣🤣

You seem to have a bit of an obsession with me, just because I have a high opinion of and back our own club, rather than blow smoke up the arse and inflate the size and quality of rivals in our division. Also, I’ve never called a former player of ours a “prick”, Finally, one of our players going to someone Who finished below us last season is a bit different to this guy moving from a team who finished 7th in League Two last season going to a team who finished 10th in League One.

You seem to have a bit of an obsession with me, just because I have a high opinion of and back our own club, rather than blow smoke up the arse and inflate the size and quality of rivals in our division. Also, I’ve never called a former player of ours a “prick”, Finally, one of our players going to someone who finished below us last season is a bit different to this guy moving from a team who finished 7th in League Two last season going to a team who finished 10th in League One

Ben Jackson on twitter is an ex Northampton Town youth team centre half! He was released at the end of the 2014/15 season! Only played non league since then! Loves Northampton Town! Funny enough I did sign him once on football manager when I was managing Boreham Wood!