New signing today | Page 4 | Vital Football

New signing today

Well we'll see wont we. Ill be there at the memorial ground supporting the gas to success next year. Up the gas!

We will see and I hope that you’re wrong and wily old Scally and canny Evans overcome the Abu Dhabi Royal Family and the Sultan of Brunei pumping their billions into Rovers with whom, we of course, can’t compete.

Last edited:
L1 Northampton Town manager Keith Curle on Vadaine Oliver`s move to GFC, quoted in today`s Northampton Chronicle:

"Truth be told, Vadaine received a fantastic offer from one of our competitors and it was an offer we couldn't compete with and one he couldn't financially turn down.
But as the old adage goes, there's no point crying over spilt milk and Curle is already on the lookout for a replacement."

Sounds like GFC is a club looking to compete.

L1 Northampton Town manager Keith Curle on Vadaine Oliver`s move to GFC, quoted in today`s Northampton Chronicle:

"Truth be told, Vadaine received a fantastic offer from one of our competitors and it was an offer we couldn't compete with and one he couldn't financially turn down.
But as the old adage goes, there's no point crying over spilt milk and Curle is already on the lookout for a replacement."

FMD!! I can only assume NTFC can’t compete with £10pw and £5 per goal.

Surely we wouldn’t be throwing “big” money at a relative unknown quantity coming up a division? If we were giving any decent wages out I’d have thought it would be to known fair quality players from other L1 or maybe lower Championship clubs.

Edit - thinking about it, Keith Curles words are almost exactly the words SE used when talking about Max Ehmer and Bristol Rovers. Maybe it’s all just manager-speak for the fans benefit.

Edit - thinking about it, Keith Curles words are almost exactly the words SE used when talking about Max Ehmer and Bristol Rovers. Maybe it’s all just manager-speak for the fans benefit.

That was my first thought as well.

Either that, or we offered to match Northampton's offer and throw in a packet of Quavers and a can of 7-Up every Friday. Northampton told him he'd have to buy his own, that was what clinched it for us in the end.

Surely we wouldn’t be throwing “big” money at a relative unknown quantity coming up a division? If we were giving any decent wages out I’d have thought it would be to known fair quality players from other L1 or maybe lower Championship clubs.

Vadaine`s gonna be good, OSK, real gooood

"Truth be told" followed by something that many people will know is unlikely to be the truth? - unless of course Vadaine was on minimum wage with the Cobblers.

Agreed.

There must be a standard press pack for managers and players.

The one phrase I currently the most is when a new signing says:

“I had a number of offers from other clubs in League 1 and above...”

Bollocks to that. You came because it was the best offer on the table. Be honest and say it as it is.

Close second is:

“I know that the fans are really passionate and that’s what swayed me.”

Bullshit. You just want to be liked by the fans but there is no need to lie. You came because it was the best offer on the table. The passion of the fans had no part to play in your decision.

Licence and tradition to exaggerate when signing and releasing players - don`t suppose we`ve ever done that. Don`t suppose PS is too chuffed with Curle`s statement as it implies we are shelling out decent wages - which hardly assists talks with agents. Maybe Curle said what he did because he was annoyed at not being able to hang on to a good player ?
Well, i`m really glad he chose to come to GFC - welcome Vadaine.

Licence and tradition to exaggerate when signing and releasing players - don`t suppose we`ve ever done that. Don`t suppose PS is too chuffed with Curle`s statement as it implies we are shelling out decent wages - which hardly assists talks with agents. Maybe Curle said what he did because he was annoyed at not being able to hang on to a good player ?
Well, i`m really glad he chose to come to GFC - welcome Vadaine.
Might be more to do with the length of contract offered than the money I suppose. Haven't read how long he's signed for or how long he was offered at NTFC so just guessing 🤔
If we've offered 2 years but they only offered 1 on roughly the same money, that is a much better offer.

Wait? When commenting did Keith Curle refer to himself in third person?

i presume Bristol Rovers never wanted him then

Might be more to do with the length of contract offered than the money I suppose. Haven't read how long he's signed for or how long he was offered at NTFC so just guessing 🤔
If we've offered 2 years but they only offered 1 on roughly the same money, that is a much better offer.

Come on, Nobby, its got nothing to do with the money or length of contract, its the packets of crisps offered that sealed the deal. We're living in different times now, signing on crisps are the new normal.

Come on, Nobby, its got nothing to do with the money or length of contract, its the packets of crisps offered that sealed the deal. We're living in different times now, signing on crisps are the new normal.

Is Lineker coming out of retirement, then? I am sure that is what his BBC salary is paid in. :yes:

You seem to have a bit of an obsession with me, just because I have a high opinion of and back our own club, rather than blow smoke up the arse and inflate the size and quality of rivals in our division. Also, I’ve never called a former player of ours a “prick”, Finally, one of our players going to someone who finished below us last season is a bit different to this guy moving from a team who finished 7th in League Two last season going to a team who finished 10th in League One
Ok, we heard you first time.:grinning:

I do have to laugh at the Eaves comparisons every time we sign a target man with a poor record. Let's be brutally honest with ourselves: Eaves has been the exception to the rule.

For one player in Eaves who defied expectations and his past record: I give you Mandron, Williamson, Wilkinson, Facey, Mulligan and Norris. Generally, every time we have signed a guy with an average record, they have gone on to be just that.

Happy to be proved wrong on him, and it's good we have beaten off competition for him - but it's not one to get the pulse racing imo.
Don't say that to Steve Treacle!

I do have to laugh at the Eaves comparisons every time we sign a target man with a poor record. Let's be brutally honest with ourselves: Eaves has been the exception to the rule.

For one player in Eaves who defied expectations and his past record: I give you Mandron, Williamson, Wilkinson, Facey, Mulligan and Norris. Generally, every time we have signed a guy with an average record, they have gone on to be just that.

Happy to be proved wrong on him, and it's good we have beaten off competition for him - but it's not one to get the pulse racing imo.
He has something if he has won over the Northampton manager and fans at this time. It is unlikely that Evans has signed him as a major goalscorer. Akinfenwa at Gillingham was a example of a player who was so much more that his goals.Steve Butler first spell I think was the same only not as good .No point in signing a player to get goals if he never gets the ball.Oliver is clearly someone who is able to deliver the ball to the right areas .If we can convert chances Oliver will be a key part of that.There was no sigh that Akindie was likely to set up chances for others with regularly. But perhaps he will score a lot more if we have someone who can feed him chances .He has got a record that suggests that he might just do that .
Strikers are often about partnerships. I think that Oliver could turn out to be a ideal partner. Someone who does the donkey work.Wins the long punt forward or the cross into the box.Closes down defensive players when they go to clear a all round nuisance. It is Evans job now to make sure we use that if he can't then the team won't work .Oliver is only part of a plan not the whole plan.Eaves didn't really need anyone else but most forwards like Cody for example do.If he can do the sort of job Sidibe did back in the Championship years.I am sure others in the side back then will tell you how vital that was to the team effort.As will many fans.Oliver seems on the face of it to be very like Mamma.With perhaps a few more goals.

Last edited:
Football care rarely be won unless you have the ball near your opponents goal.Oliver does that.