New pitch update. | Page 2 | Vital Football

New pitch update.

Hybrid pitches have plastic woven into them to give them strength.

The summer heat really never the grass recover from last season

Have you stumped up the £450k?!
Question is where did the money come from ?Given Scally has clearly had a new ground on his mind when he agreed the medway council sponsorship what has changed his mind?This pitch is a long term fix that is not the Scally way well not since the ground development anyway. I doubt this is Scally's money or indeed money the club had in the bank.No company is going to do this job on credit. That leaves another dumb bank manager or outside investment?
Whatever it seems we are at Priestfield long term Scally has given us the Scally dome etc for many a year .The council sponsorship pointed to things moving forward. But this posts in totally the opposite direction. Almost like it was not Scally that made the decision at all.Or maybe I dreamt it.

Question is where did the money come from ?Given Scally has clearly had a new ground on his mind when he agreed the medway council sponsorship what has changed his mind?This pitch is a long term fix that is not the Scally way well not since the ground development anyway. I doubt this is Scally's money or indeed money the club had in the bank.No company is going to do this job on credit. That leaves another dumb bank manager or outside investment?
Whatever it seems we are at Priestfield long term Scally has given us the Scally dome etc for many a year .The council sponsorship pointed to things moving forward. But this posts in totally the opposite direction. Almost like it was not Scally that made the decision at all.Or maybe I dreamt it.
Possibly the Egan sell on fee or some of the Centre Plate pay out?
Anderson has been seen back at Priestfield recently- does that mean he has invested further in the club?
We haven’t really spent any money on players in a long time, so maybe this was a reserve fund for emergencies!

Anderson has been seen back at Priestfield recently- does that mean he has invested further in the club?
We haven’t really spent any money on players in a long time, so maybe this was a reserve fund for emergencies!

Getting a forward who can "hit a barn door with a banjo" is an emergency!

I suspect either Egan sell on fee or some of the centerplate money has arrived.

I would also hope that this is the end of spending money on the fantasy stadium project - at least until we need to increase capacity.

In the past we seemed to have spent the minimum on the pitch, but new drainage and irrigation at same times seems to suggest that we are doing it properly this time and that suggests we aren't relocating any time soon.

Better pitch might lead to better football that might lead to better attendances. This just might turn out to be a sound investment.

Why didn't we do it in the summer ? Well I guess we simply didn't have the cash.

A better turf will be good for BOTH teams. Therefore better teams will be able to play us off of the park easier. There are benefits to having a less than perfect surface (for a less gifted team).

I hope this will reduce injuries but there is also a negative, for me.

A better turf will be good for BOTH teams. Therefore better teams will be able to play us off of the park easier. There are benefits to having a less than perfect surface (for a less gifted team).

I think the better teams will beat us on the current pitch. We also increase the risk of injuries to our players. It also encourages us to play shite long ball football that is awful to watch.

The only negative for me is that is 450K that cannot be used on the playing budget.

Its necessary though. I do wonder if we hadn't gone for the the cheap maintenance options over the years whether this could have been cheaper though.

The pitch didn't recover enough in the summer because of the high temperatures and because of this has deteriorated further to the stage where action had to be taken.

PS has got a great deal on a pitch which is available as it didn't get sold in the summer - financing is another matter but I believe it was due to be replaced next summer anyhow.

More bollocks, Durham. I forgot we only had a hot summer over our pitch, nowhere else in the country had the same weather. It's the fact we haven't looked after our pitch and invested in it over the years and always gone for the cheap option of relaying the top surface and not sorting the real problem of the drainage, until such a point when it becomes dangerous.

More bollocks, Durham. I forgot we only had a hot summer over our pitch, nowhere else in the country had the same weather. It's the fact we haven't looked after our pitch and invested in it over the years and always gone for the cheap option of relaying the top surface and not sorting the real problem of the drainage, until such a point when it becomes dangerous.

More Bollocks Capt - the time before last when the pitch was done the drainage was renewed and no not everywhere else had the same weather

To do the drainage is what costs the money, not relaying the top surface or reseeding (which is all we've done in the last few seasons), which has cost but hasn't solved the ultimate problem, that's why its costing so much, because we're having the drainage done. If the drainage work had been done anytime recently (in the last 10 years) it wouldn't need doing no and we would have heard about it from PS simply because of the cost, just like we are now.

Everywhere has had a hot summer this summer, its because our pitch was in such a poor state to start with the its still shit now.

Last edited:
Hope we can take this new pitch with us to our mystical new stadium, it will cut down on the costs. That is of course when it gets built by circa 2050 give or take 10 years.

What? We look at our best and most threatening when we get the ball down and play. Parrett/Hanlan/RCC etc can play and have pace and movement. Hoofing it up to Eaves is shit to watch and isn't effective.

I am thoroughly pissed off we have found 450k the month after the transfer window shuts. How convenient! The pitch nedds doing but what a great excuse again to not spend on the team

Wasn’t it only a few weeks ago most people were having a go at skally for being tight to invest in a new pitch that was clearly needed. Now after doing so he is getting even more flack.

Fair point octupus. It clearly needed the emergency work and PS has stepped up and is sorting it. I`d also say that those who have been maligning the pitch, kettners especially, have evidently been doing so with justification. I was sceptical about much of that criticism (of the pitch) and don`t have a problem with saying I was wrong. We could certainly do with some upgrade on the pitch but let`s make sure we can give the likes of RCC, Hanlon and List something decent to run on.

I am thoroughly pissed off we have found 450k the month after the transfer window shuts. How convenient! The pitch nedds doing but what a great excuse again to not spend on the team

The club will already have a figure set aside in the budget each year to look after the pitch. Due to the pitch being so poor we’ve spent next year’s budget ahead of time.

Absolutely nothing to do with the timing of the transfer window.