New pitch update. | Page 3 | Vital Football

New pitch update.

Perhaps some of the criticism is whether this high cost is due to a lack of more routine and cheaper maintenance over the years. Perhaps 450K could have been a lot lower IF we hadn't scrimped on the pitch over the years. Deferred maintenance normally costs more in the long run.

I am glad we are doing it though. I can't stand long aimless hoof ball. Decent pitch equals decent football hopefully. Maybe we will replicate some of that sparkling away football at home.

Could we have been in danger of a fine is we didn’t replace it? He’s said it was getting dangerous to play on, so maybe that’s the reason for the huge investment.

Can anyone elaborate on what a hybrid pitch is though? Will it need less maintaining? Last longer? Is he going to save money in the long run?
A hybrid pitch has strands of real grass which are woven to a strand of plastic.

I believe Rochdale replaced their pitch mid-season during their FA Cup exploits last season.
75D720BF-31FE-4FFA-87F7-E709AE5B1E93.jpeg

The drainage system is failing, because it's getting clogged up with the shite on the pitch...

For £450K I'd hope they could install under-soil heating as well, and put and end to that frozen strip along the Gordon Road Stand touchline!

Hybrid pitches are what most of the premiership clubs have got. There are plastic fibres amongst the grass. Obviously, when you mow the grass you set the blades not to cut lower than the height of the fibres ! The fibres have the effect of reducing the wear and tear on the natural grass. They were first introduced in Germany.

What does disappoint me about this is that Lovell was asked about the pitch on RK and defended it saying it wasn't an issue. Well it clearly is because less than a week later we are replacing it at some cost.

I like a bit of honestly in a manager rather than someone who will toe the company line. He could have said the pitch is not ideal,I would like it replaced if the club could afford to but he didn't.

Makes me doubt that we can really believe much of what he says. Just a minor point but it grates a bit.

I like a bit of honesty from the manager even if it is constructively critical of the club at times.

It is possible that the FA have acted following the Wimbledon game if they made a formal complaint to the FA.
Rules are clear .Maybe Scally's hand has been forced by the FA and it is not by choice he is having it replaced. Perhaps we could have gone for a cheaper fix but then be faced by another problem in the not too distant future. This seems more likely.
"Clubs must take all reasonable precautions to keep their grounds in a playable condition.
All matches shall be played on pitches deemed suitable by the Management Committee".

Last edited:
What does disappoint me about this is that Lovell was asked about the pitch on RK and defended it saying it wasn't an issue. Well it clearly is because less than a week later we are replacing it at some cost.

I like a bit of honestly in a manager rather than someone who will toe the company line. He could have said the pitch is not ideal,I would like it replaced if the club could afford to but he didn't.

Makes me doubt that we can really believe much of what he says. Just a minor point but it grates a bit.

I like a bit of honesty from the manager even if it is constructively critical of the club at times.
The likelihood is Lovell knew nothing about the pitch being replaced and did not want to upset Scally by making a justified complaint about it live on air .

Any decent manager will need to take into account the effect his words will have not only on the intended audience but also the players. The state of the pitch is already clearly in the minds of our players - Lovell doesn’t need to add fuel to that fire and see our home performances get even worse.

Managers will rarely if ever be 100% honest in their comments to the media for good reason. Lovell has clearly been more honest than most managers so don’t think we can point the finger of dishonesty his way just yet.

If u have a wet floor at work then u have to put signs up warning the public otherwise u leave yourself open to legal action in event of a fall. Maybe scally has received some sort of warning from the football league, which if he doesn't act upon, will leave the club open to compensation claim in event of a players injury.
Instead of getting a new pitch and wasting 450k , why doesn't he go up the local cash and carry and get 100 floor warning signs to put over the dangerous places

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0
Any decent manager will need to take into account the effect his words will have not only on the intended audience but also the players. The state of the pitch is already clearly in the minds of our players - Lovell doesn’t need to add fuel to that fire and see our home performances get even worse.

Exactly - managers have to be cute with what they say in the press, knowing full well that their players are probably the ones that are paying the closest attention. Their whole world is basically a mind game.

I know full well if my boss suddenly said that because our IT was crap, we wouldn't be expected to meet our targets, I'd probably work even less hard than usual :p

It was pressure from the FA on Scally, due to the number of complaints from opposing teams and managers and subsequent injuries . Have no fear if the FA had not intervened this swamp would have stayed as long as scally could have got away with it.
This will be a real positive for this team.