New pitch update. | Page 4 | Vital Football

New pitch update.

Excuse me, can you quote more than one winging manager to support your statement? Are you able to elaborate your statement, or, is it your normal OTT borax?

Excuse me, can you quote more than one winging manager to support your statement? Are you able to elaborate your statement, or, is it your normal OTT borax?
Neil Ardley complained about the pitch recently one of their players got injured on it

What exactly is the issue with the pitch? Is it deceptively uneven? Is the grass too long? Is the upper surface too loose, causing players to lose footing or slip easily?

You don't spend £450k on replacing a pitch unless the consequences of not doing could cost much more. Ardley was the only visiting manager who publicly stated his concerns about the pitch quality. Doesn't mean others did not privately. SL wisely did not add fuel to the fire despite knowing at least a couple of our own injuries being likely caused or worsened by the pitch. We've (hopefully) avoided any internal or external compensation claims, so all good news. Quite literally - roll on the new pitch and a change in our fortunes and building fortress Priestfield.

What exactly is the issue with the pitch? Is it deceptively uneven? Is the grass too long? Is the upper surface too loose, causing players to lose footing or slip easily?

Seems like the top surface has never bedded down properly to the soil underneath. This means it cuts up a lot, which means players lose their footing as it's not securely attached to the soil below.

Looking at the pictures on the website, the other question I have is: How come you can see the pitch markings under the top surface?

That must be some strong paint they use.

Looking at the pictures on the website, the other question I have is: How come you can see the pitch markings under the top surface?

That must be some strong paint they use.

It's probably due to the overseeding (I think that's what they call it) where they reseed the surface and then over cover it with a new layer of sand and top soil and let the grass grow through, which is what we've done the last couple of summers, but I'm surprised the lines are still visable.

That however doesn't solve the main issue we've had which is caused by the drainage channels under the top surface being blocked with silt, which happens over time (on spurs new pitch they are 8 inches under the top surface and the channels are nearly a foot deep).

The ball doesn't roll well, it bobbles as it roles suggesting its uneven. When holy took a goal kick the other day a large piece became detached - it looked like pure sand underneath.

On one of the other threads one of the players was reported as one of the worst pitches ever.

It is possible that the FA have acted following the Wimbledon game if they made a formal complaint to the FA.
Rules are clear .Maybe Scally's hand has been forced by the FA and it is not by choice he is having it replaced. Perhaps we could have gone for a cheaper fix but then be faced by another problem in the not too distant future. This seems more likely.
"Clubs must take all reasonable precautions to keep their grounds in a playable condition.
All matches shall be played on pitches deemed suitable by the Management Committee".

Isn't it the ref who has to decide if a pitch is playable? Just wondered if the state of thr pitch has appeared in a few recent referees' match reports.

Just had a rough looking geezer knock on my front door asking if I wanted some turf going cheap. I told him to go back to running a football club.

I assume we are not getting undersoil heating installed as well as it would be too much ££?

Have you seen the state of some Sunday league pitches, that doesn't seem to cause the players injuries and some of those pitches have been laid for 10s of years.

Why do it now - simply a great deal on a existing pitch that did not get used in the summer. we are getting a fantastic 4G pitch for the price of a standard one - no brainer.

Under-soil heating would not be cost effective, only works in the premiership because of lost TV revenue if a match is called off and even then you can end up with a playable pitch and still the match is called of for H&S in the roads outside or in the seating areas.

Durham, so you are saying although everyone was saying we needed a new pitch we actually didn’t. However coincidently dell boy found one going cheap down the market. Lovely jubbly.

You are good value though mate. if you didn’t exist on this forum we would have to invent you!

I suppose that the real "Point to Ponder" is what would have happened if Scally HADN'T got the "...great deal on an existing pitch..."?

I assume that the pitch would have got re-laid as a "standard" pitch. And that also assumes that the complaints about the condition had reached a point where the club HAD to do it anyway or suffer some consequences.

Don't get me started on the "Sunday League" or other "Lower league" pitches. It just shows how the money that Sky has allegedly put into the game isn't actually improving it.

Have you seen the state of some Sunday league pitches, that doesn't seem to cause the players injuries and some of those pitches have been laid for 10s of years.

Yeah but even the most negative of us don't think we will fall as low as Sunday league. We've got professional athletes and they deserve a decent pitch to show of their slinky skills.

Good that scallywag got a decent deal on it. Lets hope the players really put on a show now and pull the crowds in. NO lumping it long to Eaves now boys.