New Manager Thread - 2023 | Page 41 | Vital Football

New Manager Thread - 2023

Is Ange a good appointment as the next Spurs manager?

• No - we should have appointed a pub team manager

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We really are a mess.

I don't blame the club about the wait till the summer, that's not a fair criticism in my mind,

But we've gotten ourselves into a position where some fans will not accept anyone other than mopo now, the chanting is at every game now.

Any new manager at the first sign of trouble will have a percentage of the crowd wanting him out for mopo.

Even though I don't think it's the right move we sort of have to appoint him now, or hope he goes to Chelsea and this can be nipped in the bud once and for all

I don't think the hierarchy care what the Fans want. In this case they would be right.

We really are a mess.

I don't blame the club about the wait till the summer, that's not a fair criticism in my mind,

But we've gotten ourselves into a position where some fans will not accept anyone other than mopo now, the chanting is at every game now.

Any new manager at the first sign of trouble will have a percentage of the crowd wanting him out for mopo.

Even though I don't think it's the right move we sort of have to appoint him now, or hope he goes to Chelsea and this can be nipped in the bud once and for all
I'm pretty sure the Leicester fans were singing for him at City.

I'm not sure it is incendiary, look on Twitter and it's full of comments such as look what he's achieved as a player, look who he's worked with, look where he played

None are reasons to employ a manager in my mind, if you look at it purely in a managerial job and what he's done it's not overly impressive and certainly no more impressive than others that have taken teams out that league such as Dyche

My previous example of wilder holds as well, he had a much less fancied side, built on a tiny budget and played excellent football, why not he's he not getting linked in the media ? It's because he hasn't played at Man City would be my guess

He spent 20 million more than the closest other team

https://the72.co.uk/2023/02/08/how-much-money-has-each-championship-side-spent-this-season/amp/

Which doesn't include loans

That's on top of a core which almost stayed up in the PL, money spent doesn't equate to winning, but it does help.
That's not an accurate reflection of the situation last summer at Burnley.

The core of their squad was wiped out last summer with players running out of contracts and needing to be sold due to their owners debt repayments as a result of relegation. To only name the important ones, they lost Weghorst, Cornet, Lennon, Vydra, McNeil, Westwood, Collins, Tarkowksi, Mee, and Pope. That is most of their senior players gone in 1 window.

They essentially had to completely restart in terms of building a squad. That is why they spend so much and did so while having a profit of 40 million. The job that Kompany has done in picking players to recruit and then getting them to near instantly to gel is nothing short of remarkable. Plus to do so while playing great football and to take the league at a canter is enough to make people sit up. Of course his recent playing career helps advertise himself but he has certainly deserved attention for his job this year. Compare Burnley on the last day of the season to first game of this season against Huddersfield and their fans thought they had entered an alternative reality.

Wilder has did a good job at Sheffield United previously. They are Burnleys closest rivals in the league this year but remember they were able to hold a lot of their Premier League squad together which is one reason for the small spend this season. So they have essentially been playing a PL squad against championship ones. Similarly to Burnley they have also boosted their first team with loanees which is standard for championship teams. They do not however play excellent football which is one reason why he isn't being linked. I watched them live last week and all they could do was hoof ball and then try to bully the opposition. That tactic was the reason why they were able to come back from 2 nil down against Burnley early in the season as their defence is weak in the air.

Of course he managed Borro this season and they picked up a gear or two after he left and Carrick came in. He'salso been pretty average at Watford over the last few months. Hardly a big endorsement of his abilities

I don't think Kompany should take a step up yet until he's done at least one year more with Burnley in the premiership but I would take him every day ahead of Wilder

Last edited:
Well I've had time to calm down and reflect on yesterday. Stellini is just "Lite" version of Conte with even worse tactics and in game management which I didn't think was possible. He is so far out of his depth it's scary.

Stellini needs to be removed immediately!

I don't know whether we need to beg Poch to take us on for the remaining games or whether we give it to Mason and Ledley until the end but we need the Conte regime out and out now.

Newcastle away next and after their drubbing yesterday I fear we are about to get a backlash if we don't change drastically.

If we can beat Newcastle and then United we have a real chance of top 5 but we won't do that if we remain the same, period.

Emory would have been an intriguing choice...he is doing extremely well at Villa...hell they could jump us soon....
Hi US
Obviously it's Emery you were alluding to, (fekin keyboards)
I watched his team yesterday toe to toe with the much lauded Newcastle and (TBH) they took em to church, out played.
But my point is, that from a very boring team under Gerrard, they have become quite decent.
Under Emery, what happened?
Well in the Jan TW 4 players in and 9 (yes NINE) players out.
That's the difference a new manager can make, if it's the right fit, and for Villa with Emery it appears to be, they're back to winning stats from their 1980s hayday, not bad, maybe a bounce back, but they did look pretty good yesterday, and the results are impressive.
Re our new manager, I don't care now about his ego, his CV, his Country of origin, his age, nothing.
I want the right manager for us right now.

Hi US
Obviously it's Emery you were alluding to, (fekin keyboards)
I watched his team yesterday toe to toe with the much lauded Newcastle and (TBH) they took em to church, out played.
But my point is, that from a very boring team under Gerrard, they have become quite decent.
Under Emery, what happened?
Well in the Jan TW 4 players in and 9 (yes NINE) players out.
That's the difference a new manager can make, if it's the right fit, and for Villa with Emery it appears to be, they're back to winning stats from their 1980s hayday, not bad, maybe a bounce back, but they did look pretty good yesterday, and the results are impressive.
Re our new manager, I don't care now about his ego, his CV, his Country of origin, his age, nothing.
I want the right manager for us right now.

Dont we all mate...but WHO?

Wayhayhay
Greavsie, we all have our opinions, likes and dislikes.
Those who want Poch back
PY and his, Kompany Love in 😉
Those who hate Rodgers
For me between Nagelsman or Slot
However anyone is surely in football terms an upgrade on what we're watching.
With that said, I think there are people with 'ologies' somewhere in our structure, paid vast sums, to look at stats, performance, footballing ethos, CVs etc.
I just hope Levey et Al don't go to the 'Dog and Duck' and put the above listed names in a hat.
Mind you some of the decisions we've made lately, look like 'dart board' policy

No

Doesn't make any difference Sock Mate, what manager in their right mind would want to manage our Clownshow of a club.

Granted we are all moderately to supremely pissed off at the moment, but what makes us a clown show?

Any intelligent manager would be looking at Spurs and salivating. 15 million a year to take a club on the cusp of something special from the bottom of the transition process to competing for honours. This is a no lose situation for a manager and a huge opportunity to make a statement on abilities.

This isn't any different in principle from Levy riding TV revenues to where we are now.

Slot
Frank
Kompany

As examples, not recommendations.

All good options for us based on their career point. They are on the way up.

Pochettino and Rodgers are on the way down.

Granted we are all moderately to supremely pissed off at the moment, but what makes us a clown show?

Any intelligent manager would be looking at Spurs and salivating. 15 million a year to take a club on the cusp of something special from the bottom of the transition process to competing for honours. This is a no lose situation for a manager and a huge opportunity to make a statement on abilities.

This isn't any different in principle from Levy riding TV revenues to where we are now.

I think clown show is a bit strong, but the general point is correct.

Mentioning the wage shouldn't matter, if someone is purely coming for the wage we are in trouble again, one of the few plus points of mopo is that he would want the challenge because he likes the club, now I'm not saying the new manager is paid peanuts but it shouldn't be a major pull

The squad is a complete mess, we need at new spine, a GK/CBs/Midfielders and forwards.

We have to find a way of off loading 10 or so first teamers this summer

Kane is off - which isn't a bad thing, but a new manager will consider this.

Added to that the fan base won't be fully onside or United if you are not mopo/protests against ENIC to sell and will not be patient

It's not that of an attractive job currently, even more so when you add the jobs that are/will be around in the summer.

Slot
Frank
Kompany

As examples, not recommendations.

All good options for us based on their career point. They are on the way up.

Pochettino and Rodgers are on the way down.

Frank is part of a well oiled machine and plays counter football, done very very well at Brentford and it's not to underplay him, but he's not a Spurs manager if we want to move away from that style.

Frank is part of a well oiled machine and plays counter football, done very very well at Brentford and it's not to underplay him, but he's not a Spurs manager if we want to move away from that style.

It was more a case of the point in his career. Which is what we need. Someone who hasn't had a shot yet but has proven themselves to this point. But also someone who has worked in an off-field management team approach/system rather than as king of the hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.