New Manager Thread - 2023 | Vital Football

New Manager Thread - 2023

Is Ange a good appointment as the next Spurs manager?

• No - we should have appointed a pub team manager

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spursex

Alert Team
Vincent Kompany is bold and innovative – he can be Tottenham’s Mikel Arteta
I said Arsenal should be brave and appoint Spaniard almost two years before they did — the Belgian would make a similarly transformative impact at Spurs

Tony Cascarino
Tuesday March 28 2023, 12.00pm, The Times
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/topic/premier-league

It must hurt Tottenham Hotspur fans watching Arsenal this season; to see a rookie manager like Mikel Arteta having his side playing the best football in the league, while their own team — blessed with two of the best attackers in the league – are just about pushing for fourth place.
It probably hurts even more, given the way last season ended, when Tottenham were showing signs of momentum, like they were building towards something. But now, they look as if they are going to have wasted another season and, more importantly, the club, owner, players and fans are not together. They need a leader and a change.
What they need is a manager that respects the club and fans, but has an identity and an ability to bring those parts of the club together by the force of their character and the style of football that can energise and bring the fans together. And in my opinion, there is no better-suited person than Vincent Kompany.

Kompany is brave and bold. He does not shy away from challenges. But unlike José Mourinho and Antonio Conte, who were also immensely competitive, Kompany is, above all else, humble. What he brings is harmony: he unifies people through his qualities as a leader. A manager that respects the club, and puts it first but also has a real ambition and competitive edge is exactly what Spurs need. He is honest and he speaks straight, but without the coarseness of someone like Conte, who tried to tell some home truths but just turned off the supporters and players.

Conte, and Mourinho before him, were conservative and pragmatic, but what Tottenham need is a manager who can lead and embody the direction the club wants to move in. Kompany’s style of football is innovative, forward-thinking, aggressive and exciting. It’s exactly what will unlock the potential of the club. When a team plays that kind of football — all-in, exciting, compelling stuff — it brings the fans on board. We have seen at clubs such as Arsenal and Liverpool how formidable teams can be when the fans are behind them. At times we have seen the potential of Tottenham at their new ground too, but those moments have been too rare.
The players and the supporters need to enjoy their football again; I have watched Son Heung-min look miserable all year. A manager who encourages expression and playing with energy like Kompany would be perfect for reviving his fortunes.
There are, of course, other managers out there, not least Mauricio Pochettino or Julian Nagelsmann, but Spurs need something completely new and bold to shake the club up. I said Arteta should be given the Arsenal job nearly two years before they appointed him, because he was at the vanguard of this new generation of coaches that are tactically sharp and young enough to have the energy and fight to lead an entire club. Kompany fits into that category too.
I believe the story of him at Burnley this season is the best across all four of English football’s divisions. It is special. With a group of players who for several years were playing a very straightforward game, he has coached them into a team that is innovative, intelligent and brilliant to watch. He completely reinvented Burnley and the mentality there. And he did all this a season after being relegated, with a club that seemed to be in turmoil and had lost many of its leaders and most experienced players, such as Ben Mee, James Tarkowski and Dwight McNeil.
Like Arteta, who was also his club’s captain, Kompany learned under Pep Guardiola. He has a rich and wonderful footballing education which is needed in the Premier League to compete at the top, but he also has the energy and character to lead and invigorate a club with positivity and humility — and that’s what Spurs crave most.
Kompany’s experience is unique, too. He joined Manchester City in 2008, just as they were beginning their ascent. That version of City was a long way from the side he led to league titles and left in 2019, and being part of a transformation of a club, from top to bottom is unlike any other. He has lived and breathed what it means to fundamentally change a football club and turn it into a winning one.
One reason I am so excited about Kompany is because I have heard about the way his players speak about him, behind closed doors and when he is not around: they sing his praises.
Importantly, I don’t think he would fear losing Harry Kane. Some managers would shy away from a situation where the team’s best player is likely to leave, but Kompany knows what it is like to lose big players in the dressing room — those with character and quality, such as Yaya Touré and Sergio Agüero — and understands how to lead a team without them.
Tottenham have tried all sorts over the past few years, but taking a chance on a clearly intelligent manager with the ability to harmonise and unite the club is a risk worth taking — you only need to look across north London to see why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yippee! finally Vincent Company, my choice, muttley also, TC talking bloody sense for a change, go get VC Mr Levy, the fans will love him.

Just think it's too early for Kompany
He was taken to task on the FA Cup by City last month and were found wanting.
Yep different, standards of players, but this Burnley team will be in the Prem next season.
Just a bit more experience required, similarly Carrick, though he does have a link to the club.
But for me one has a dream of managing City
The other United...

Just think it's too early for Kompany
He was taken to task on the FA Cup by City last month and were found wanting.
Yep different, standards of players, but this Burnley team will be in the Prem next season.
Just a bit more experience required, similarly Carrick, though he does have a link to the club.
But for me one has a dream of managing City
The other United...

Recent history has shown us that years of experience don't count for much. Pragmatism married to experience has taken us backwards. Kompany fits the profile of the type of manager we want to appoint and moan about not having for 3.5 years. I'd be delighted if he came into consideration.

Kompany isn't ready. We know that being a great player doesn't mean you are ready for the big jobs. Gerrard should have remained at Rangers for another season or two or gone for a Championship job. Villa and the Prem were too big for him. The same for Fat Frank, cut your teeth get experience, don't think that you deserve the top jobs.
Rooney has done Derby and then got touted for Everton but has gone to the MSL to manage there instead and fair play. I think he said he wasn't ready for Everton.
Arteta had to work through a real shit storm and the fans were slating him and wanting him out (well certainly the ones that I know) so you have to commend their board for sticking it out.

Carrick is second favourite to be next West Ham manager. I want to him to resist and stay at Boro. Build a reputation and hone his skills. Don't be tempted just because you played for them and it's a Premiership job.

I hope Kompany gets Burnley promoted and then stays with them in the Premiership to really show his worth. Big jobs should come because of managerial experience and accolades. Not because you played at the top

Recent history has shown us that years of experience don't count for much. Pragmatism married to experience has taken us backwards. Kompany fits the profile of the type of manager we want to appoint and moan about not having for 3.5 years. I'd be delighted if he came into consideration.
whilst I take your point, we just need to look at those listed by Rackny,
Lampard, Gerard, Rooney, let's look at, Vieira, Scott Parker, Roy Keane to mention but a few.
Being a great footballer doesn't make, a great manager and one good season in the Championship doesn't make a manager ready for a top Premiership job.
Indeed Kompany and Carrick sre doing well at their respective clubs, but I look at the above listed names and still need convincing that they would be ready for the next step.
Is it a risk we as a club want /need to take, again as, Rackny said let em build a reputation, then make the next step.

whilst I take your point, we just need to look at those listed by Rackny,
Lampard, Gerard, Rooney, let's look at, Vieira, Scott Parker, Roy Keane to mention but a few.
Being a great footballer doesn't make, a great manager and one good season in the Championship doesn't make a manager ready for a top Premiership job.
Indeed Kompany and Carrick sre doing well at their respective clubs, but I look at the above listed names and still need convincing that they would be ready for the next step.
Is it a risk we as a club want /need to take, again as, Rackny said let em build a reputation, then make the next step.
Go back many years and think of Laurie McMenemy, he had no experience as a player, he had been in the household cavalry, but he managed Southampton to a famous FA Cup win as a great man manager/motivator with the help of good coaches.

Kompany would be a massive gamble. There is a huge difference between successfully managing a small town Club in the Championship, and managing the monstrosity know as THFC. The same would apply to Frank.

Big difference between Arteta and Kompany is that for many years at Arsenal a manager called Wenger created that famous terminology 'a winning mentality'. That winning mentality had lied dormant for a few years, but Arteta just rekindled it. At Spurs we've never had it, I don't see a rookie manager coming in and creating it where so many others have failed.

Their experience at Bayern and PSG definitely make Nagelsmann and Pochettino the best of the 'favoured' candidates'. Pochettino remains one of relatively few managers to reach a CL final, and has been the closest in fifty years to introduce a 'winning mentality' into our Club. He probably is the best candidate, but I acknowledge the reservations as regards 'going back', whilst still preferring to remember him for his first few years rather than the last few months. The fact that he is not with us already though, I think rules him out.

I'll remain a lone voice punting for Brendan Rodgers.

I don't think us getting to the CL final is a reason to re appoint Poch.

We lost 20 games in all competitions that season. We had plenty of luck in getting there as well.
but no one at spurs ever reached the CL Final. You dont reach the CL final with luck. You dont beat Man City over 2 legs with luck. We were also fighting for the PL title right up untill the end, with Jose and Conte it was already over at X-mas. He hasnt won anything right. But he was the closest.

but no one at spurs ever reached the CL Final. You dont reach the CL final with luck. You dont beat Man City over 2 legs with luck. We were also fighting for the PL title right up untill the end, with Jose and Conte it was already over at X-mas. He hasnt won anything right. But he was the closest.
And that's not to forget the sensational CL semi final win over Ajax in the same season, one of the best nights in Spurs history, and not a better night since.

Status
Not open for further replies.