Merson claims Dele has his Mojo back.. | Page 5 | Vital Football

Merson claims Dele has his Mojo back..

He's being played out of position. This move clearly isn't working. Doesn't help matters either when you have a passenger like Ndombele playing alongside you.

Dele has no idea what his position is. He has a great engine at times but he can't just rely on his, admittedly brilliant, ability to get into the box late and score.

We have so many players who are jack's of all trades but masters of none. i.e -

Winks is an excellent tempo setter but is terrible defensively and he never improved his passing range.

Dele is an excellent poacher in the box but isn't prolific enough to be a striker and is too weak in possession now to be a undroppable number 10.

Hojbjerg has all the determination in the world but doesn't defend well and is useless going forward too.

This club has become a career-flattening club for players. No risk, no confidence, no direction. This all started at the end of Pochs time but Mourinho truly ruined everything here.

Dele has no idea what his position is. He has a great engine at times but he can't just rely on his, admittedly brilliant, ability to get into the box late and score.

Winks is an excellent tempo setter but is terrible defensively and he never improved his passing range.

Dele is an excellent poacher in the box but isn't prolific enough to be a striker and is too weak in possession now to be a undroppable number 10.

Hojbjerg has all the determination in the world but doesn't defend well and is useless going forward too.

This club has become a career-flattening club for players. No risk, no confidence, no direction. This all started at the end of Pochs time but Mourinho truly ruined everything here.

Dele played all his best football as one of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1. I still think it's the system that suits most of our squad, not just him.

We can't blame Jose for ever. The decline set in before him, it's now 6 months after him.

If any player now let's that guy impact their performance get the fuck out of Spurs. Weak ass bitch.

To me it does. Or at least more consistently performing as you used to.

He's been our most wasteful player by far.

With all due respect, I rarely agree with anything you say, and today is no exception. Having said that, I don't entirely agree with Merson either. I'd say the Dele, under stewardship with a plan, is heading in the right direction.

"Mojo" meaning:
a quality that attracts people to you and makes you successful and full of energy:

Related words:

Pizazz,
a new lease on life.

When Dele first broke through I thought he looked like could develop into a Lampard style player. Now that he's trying to do that I think it's becoming clearer that his best skillset is essentially being a 2nd striker. His general passing isn't good enough to be a creative player in CM. He's at his best at arriving in spaces and linking play together in tight areas around their box.

The problems with that is that 1).Kane needs to play as a proper striker so Dele can feed off him and 2). Son is pushed out to the left wing where he is less effective and leaves our left wing more exposed defensively.

When Dele first broke through I thought he looked like could develop into a Lampard style player. Now that he's trying to do that I think it's becoming clearer that his best skillset is essentially being a 2nd striker. His general passing isn't good enough to be a creative player in CM. He's at his best at arriving in spaces and linking play together in tight areas around their box.

His best skill set is arriving in spaces full stop. You mention his general passing isn't good enough, then point to him linking play around the box.
He rarely links play, as his passing/ball control is often not up to standard. When you add a regular zero ability to dribble past an opponent with the ball, his effectiveness in the final third is negligible.

The problems with that is that 1).Kane needs to play as a proper striker so Dele can feed off him and 2). Son is pushed out to the left wing where he is less effective and leaves our left wing more exposed defensively.

Unfortunately the trio of Son, Dele and Kane doesn't work anymore.

Son doesn't want to play LW. He was told by the club he would be our main man. That hasn't happened. He looks miffed to me.

Kane doesn't want to be here. He has walked back in the side acting like Bertie big bollocks not giving more than 60%.

Dele has lost his mojo. I don't care how hard he is trying, he simply doesn't have it anymore. Maybe Fat Bastard has stolen it?

Going forward I want a trio of Gil, Son and Bergwinj. It's the trio with the most potential going forward.

Unfortunately the trio of Son, Dele and Kane doesn't work anymore.

Son doesn't want to play LW. He was told by the club he would be our main man. That hasn't happened. He looks miffed to me.

Kane doesn't want to be here. He has walked back in the side acting like Bertie big bollocks not giving more than 60%.

Dele has lost his mojo. I don't care how hard he is trying, he simply doesn't have it anymore. Maybe Fat Bastard has stolen it?

Going forward I want a trio of Gil, Son and Bergwinj. It's the trio with the most potential going forward.

I'm now going off the 4-3-3 system altogether. I said it last season as well. There is no wavelength between the midfield 3 and the forward 3.

Stick Son up front and get us back into a 4-2-3-1 with flying full-backs and an attacking 3 that can also make it a 5 man defensive shield.

It would definitely have your trio in it based on current form. I think the fans might be seeing how much we're missing Bergwijn. He enables so many others to play well.

I'm now going off the 4-3-3 system altogether. I said it last season as well. There is no wavelength between the midfield 3 and the forward 3.

Stick Son up front and get us back into a 4-2-3-1 with flying full-backs and an attacking 3 that can also make it a 5 man defensive shield.

It would definitely have your trio in it based on current form. I think the fans might be seeing how much we're missing Bergwijn. He enables so many others to play well.
I'm not against the 4-3-3 per se but more how it's utilised. Yesterday, on paper, we lined similarly to last week against Chelsea but tactically the contrast between the two teams was stark.

Whereas last week (in the first 45 minutes) we had the 6 front players working in unison, finding space, offering themselves for the pass, moving around the pitch as a unit, yesterday we had 5 static, immobile front players and PEH everywhere but where he needed to be.

Swapping Dele for Ndombele on the flanks shouldn't have made much difference.

Moura and Lo Celso are completely different types of players. Moura is much more of an individual type of player who will never be effective in a cohesive unit the way Lo Celso is when he's on his game. But he has other attributes.

None of which accounts for what we saw yesterday though. It's hard to make any sense of it.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I rarely agree with anything you say, and today is no exception. Having said that, I don't entirely agree with Merson either. I'd say the Dele, under stewardship with a plan, is heading in the right direction.

"Mojo" meaning:
a quality that attracts people to you and makes you successful and full of energy:

Related words:

Pizazz,
a new lease on life.

I stated what it meant to me quite explicitly and not the actual meaning so not sure how you can disagree with that.

I'd definitely disagree with you that he's heading in the right direction also. That performance yesterday was shambolic and unacceptable but is also par for the course with Alli.

I'm not against the 4-3-3 per se but more how it's utilised. Yesterday, on paper, we lined similarly to last week against Chelsea but tactically the contrast between the two teams was stark.

Whereas last week (in the first 45 minutes) we had the 6 front players working in unison, finding space, offering themselves for the pass, moving around the pitch as a unit, yesterday we had 5 static, immobile front players and PEH everywhere but where he needed to be.

Swapping Dele for Ndombele on the flanks shouldn't have made much difference.

Moura and Lo Celso are completely different types of players. Moura is much more of an individual type of player who will never be effective in a cohesive unit the way Lo Celso does when he's on his game. But he has other attributes.

None of which accounts for what we saw yesterday though. It's hard to make any sense of it.

Totally agree on Moura. There was no value in much that he did either defensively or offensively yesterday. In fact, I'm baffled how he can work so hard but leave his full-back so horribly exposed every time. When I compare his performance to Saka's, it's chalk and cheese. Tomiyasu had protection all around him all game and Saka did the business at the end that counts. Just shows how far our squad has dropped in quality over the years.