Merson claims Dele has his Mojo back.. | Vital Football

Merson claims Dele has his Mojo back..

Spursex

Alert Team
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/09/...son-claims-tottenham-25-year-old-has-changed/

Paul Merson has claimed that Dele Alli has ‘got his mojo back’ for Tottenham, as he told 90 min.

The 25-year-old has been a regular for Tottenham and Nuno Espirito Santo this season, after falling out of favour under Jose Mourinho.

`After scoring the winning goal against Wolves last month in the Premier League, Alli assisted during his side’s 2-2 draw at the same place on Wednesday night, as Spurs needed penalties to progress through to the next round of the EFL Cup, and could have claimed two more assists, if Spurs had been sharper in front of goal.

There is a lot of limelight on Alli during this campaign because, if he underperforms again, then the critics will be at his throat and it's likely his career at Spurs woud be over.

But Merson thinks the attack-minded midfielder is a ‘changed’ man and is starting to perform better.

“Dele Alli is playing better this season,” said Merson. “He’s got his mojo back and he’s changed his game.

“He’s getting in the box. And he scored as well, so I would go Dele Alli as well (in the Arsenal-Tottenham combined XI).”

They did well to knock Wolves out of the EFL Cup, but that doesn’t hide away them losing back-to-back London derbies 3-0.

Make that three at the Emirates then there will be no place to hide for Nuno and his players.

Dele Alli talks about his new ‘number 8’ role and Nuno

Dele’s role under Pochettino was close to being a second striker, sometimes playing right alongside Harry Kane or making late runs into the box to try and get on the end of a Christian Eriksen cross.

However, this season, Dele has been playing as a number 8, on the left side of a midfield three with Oliver Skipp and Pierre Emile Højbjerg. Despite the drastic change, Dele has welcomed the position as he played it regularly back in his MK Dons days.

On the new position, Dele said: “Number eight is a position I enjoy playing. It’s not something that’s new to me though,” he said. When I signed here, I had never played in the number 10 role. So, for me, it is quite natural to play there, and I enjoy being there.

“I think when you’re with a team like Tottenham, you’re happy to be anywhere on the pitch so wherever I play, I will do my best and hopefully that’s enough.”

On Nuno’s arrival, he added: “He’s done a brilliant job. We all came into training for pre-season not knowing exactly what to expect with a new manager coming in.
“Normally, when a new manager arrives, it’s exciting, but it’s usually off the back of a bad run of form or the team not doing well. It gives the team a boost and it’s a new way of thinking, of looking at the game, different tactics.

“He’s steadied the ship though and at the same time, he’s got a clear way forward. We worked hard in pre-season and things are going well. It’s still very early on, he’s done a great job so far, but it’s a long season, so we have to keep on improving.”

Lots of “No shit Sherlock comments there “.

He is playing well though , good to see him making those runs . He looks much different , I’m not on about his hair, he looks happier , and seems to have a good rapport with Ndom .
It’s all looking , step by step , week by week , game by game , better for us .

He's played really well 1 game against a hybrid wolves team. I'm guessing alko has forgotten the gutless game at the weekend (or pretty much any other game he's played).

Why are we giving this idiot any air time?

He did well, like the rest of the team for 35 mins at the weekend, and could have scored and had three assists against Wolves if we'd had bit more about us plus most of all, it's always of interest when pundits and ex-players make these calls as often they see what the average fan does not or won't see...

Mojo means confidence , energy or enthusiasm. I would say he is getting there with his confidence and energy, his enthusiasm is evident. Having your mojo back doesn't necessarily mean you are performing at your top level.

To me it does. Or at least more consistently performing as you used to.

He's been our most wasteful player by far.

He's being wasted in his current role. He plays better further forward & yet we persist with this boring negative crap we've been force fed for the last 3 years. I wouldn't mind if we played that way when we're winning, that's not the case though... is it.

Last edited:
I understand the point about where Dele should play. If he's not playing number 8 currently , who is ? Also if he's playing number 10 , who isn't ?

I understand the point about where Dele should play. If he's not playing number 8 currently , who is ? Also if he's playing number 10 , who isn't ?

He is playing the no.8 ?!

The no.8 tends to be worn by a goalscoring midfield player who balances the ability to regularly hit the back of the net while also providing assists and chances for their team-mates, as well as getting back into a defensive position when necessary.

The No.8 is also meant for box-to-box midfielders, those who are capable of linking up play and shifting the tone of the game from defence to attack.

Famous no.8's are Steven Gerrard, remembered as one of the greatest English attacking midfielders,. although Frank Lampard might be argued to be a better example.

The no.10
Traditionally, is the team's playmaker or star attacking midfielder. Or as many see it as the second striker behind the CF - who assists and hangs around the final third of the opposition's end to make things happen (as he once did and got so many assists and goals doing just that). IN our case he's pour main goalscorer - Harry.

Nuno tends to set us up differently and that creative role now looks like it's fallen to N'dombele, but as he's also being looked at as a defensive midfielder (seriously, some see him this way!?) then it's easy to see how that might get confused with Son's secondary role (although he's a no.7 - which is normally the right winger) where he now swaps the left to the centre with Harry., so Son could arguably be the no.11 !

Who does what or what they're supposed to be doing depends on the line up Nuno goes for.

Last edited:
I take it he’s watched 1 or 2 match of the day’s this season and not had to watch every full Spurs game this season then lol

He’s been atrocious as he has been for the past 3-4 years.
Again , it depends on the interpretation of what Mojo means. Which I described as energy, confidence or enthusiasm ( the accepted meaning). It doesn't necessarily mean performing at a top level. It means having the right mindset to do so I guess.