Merson claims Dele has his Mojo back.. | Page 4 | Vital Football

Merson claims Dele has his Mojo back..

I am up for cataloguing Deles strengths and weaknesses as long as they are rational and justified.
I'll start with Creativity as a strength but argue the feck out of it if you can.

Creativity is a strength but incredible wastefulness is a weakness.

This will be wasteful in attack so it's a case of does he waste more than he creates. Either by being dispossessed or dilly dallying on the ball while the opponents get their shape back. Or play a poor pass. The factor I am interested in is...does Dele find himself in a potentially wasteful or creative situation more than other players due to his intelligence and mobility. ? If he does , his waste % will seem higher than other players.

Creativity is a strength but incredible wastefulness is a weakness.

We have a tendency to use superlatives to either elevate players or denigrate them.

I agree he is wasteful, but half the time it is also down to poor team movement and no outlet for the pass.

My biggest criticism of Dele is that he generally always wants to try a clever, fancy pass and he delves so long looking for his team mate that he either kills the momentum or ends up losing the ball. His best years at Spurs were when we had all of Eriksen, Dembele and Kane in a groove.

When any of our players put a cross in and there's no one attacking the box, wasteful or poor movement?

Defenders tippy tappy at the back as there's no outlet in midfield. Wasteful or boring football?!

Positives: Stamina, Adaptable (No 10 or 8). Box to box is a very demanding role.
I think he has a good vision but needs quicker execution

I think when a player puts in a good shift, it encourages those around him to raise their game - well, it should do!

Finally, I'd blame the coach(es) as much as the player, especially for repetitive 'trademark' issues.

Last edited:
We have a tendency to use superlatives to either elevate players or denigrate them.

I agree he is wasteful, but half the time it is also down to poor team movement and no outlet for the pass.

My biggest criticism of Dele is that he generally always wants to try a clever, fancy pass and he delves so long looking for his team mate that he either kills the momentum or ends up losing the ball. His best years at Spurs were when we had all of Eriksen, Dembele and Kane in a groove.

When any of our players put a cross in and there's no one attacking the box, wasteful or poor movement?

Defenders tippy tappy at the back as there's no outlet in midfield. Wasteful or boring football?!

Positives: Stamina, Adaptable (No 10 or 8). Box to box is a very demanding role.

I think when a player puts in a good shift, it encourages those around him to raise their game - well, it should do!

Finally, I'd blame the coach(es) as much as the player, especially for repetitive 'trademark' issues.

We could see how quickly Dele can see and execute an attack by that pass to send Kane through. But Kane had to be making the run and the opponent had to be drawn out of position to create the space.

Well, he's been under three separate coaching setups and is the only common denominator for the repetitive trademark issues.

Well, he's been under three separate coaching setups and is the only common denominator for the repetitive trademark issues.
Sorry Rich, I am not convinced the three coaches you refer to helped him much.

IMO, Poch spoiled him and liked his 'naughty' side. The Fav11 system employed by Poch is coming back to haunt us!

Jose liked prima dona's and one of the first players he tried taking under his wings was Dele (pampering with the 'brother' comment). Look at the influence Jose had on Harry.

Now Nuno, everyone is wondering if he has what it takes to handle Harry or for that matter Dele.

In summary, one had a clique, 2nd had zero coaching methods and 3rd yet unproven. And yet on their arrival, he's been the 1st pick.

Last edited:
One thing is certain...we don't have the quality depth on this team to hide anyone. We need absolutely everybody at the moment.

Sorry Rich, I am not convinced the three coaches you refer to helped him much.

IMO, Poch spoiled him and liked his 'naughty' side. The Fav11 system employed by Poch is coming back to haunt us!

Jose liked prima dona's and one of the first players he tried taking under his wings was Dele (pampering with the 'brother' comment). Look at the influence Jose had on Harry.

Now Nuno, everyone is wondering if he has what it takes to handle Harry or for that matter Dele.

In summary, one had a clique, 2nd had zero coaching methods and 3rd yet unproven. And yet on their arrival, he's been the 1st pick.

Being their first pick is based on reputation, not performance.

Being their first pick is based on reputation, not performance.

You just made my point Rich!!. You didn't want to point the finger at the coaches as you claimed the common denominator was Dele. Picking someone on reputation (3 coaches) tells me otherwise. No cojones. I can't see someone like Pep or Klopp putting up with that. They would either correct the issue or show him the door.

Look at Kane (in his present form) being selected for club and country on reputation!

Edit: So my point is that 3 coaches either accepted what he has to offer or didn't want/need to coach him otherwise.

Last edited:
It's a tad premature to make this call, he still has much to do to reach the heights he once did, he's definitely moving in the right direction and as his match fitness improves so will his touch and creativity.

A ways to go yet.

I have to agree with you. While I like his work rate and his willingness to defend. He is focusing more on that and has lost his creativity. It is nice though that he admits he took things for granted. For me though he has still along way to go

This will be wasteful in attack so it's a case of does he waste more than he creates. Either by being dispossessed or dilly dallying on the ball while the opponents get their shape back. Or play a poor pass. The factor I am interested in is...does Dele find himself in a potentially wasteful or creative situation more than other players due to his intelligence and mobility. ? If he does , his waste % will seem higher than other players.

I have no issues with that except when he gives the ball away it's in dangerous areas for us, not to add he can't seem to pick out a simple pass half the time.

Lazy too often (in training and certainly the second half v chelsea) a weakness
So that's a contentious one, Stamina ?.Either he has more than average, normal or a deficiency. My call is....he has superior stamina ( keeping in mind his work rate ) than average.
But his work rate could be thrown into the strengths hat for approval !!

I have no issues with that except when he gives the ball away it's in dangerous areas for us, not to add he can't seem to pick out a simple pass half the time.

Dele has a a pass average or 32 per game at 82 % completion rate. That's a lot of passes and a fair % for his position which is going to be speculative on occasion.