Match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers v Lincoln City | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers v Lincoln City

Games against Wycombe are often horrible, but we did ourselves no favours today - we went route one at the end. Two massive Johnson and Rogers-shaped holes in the side, and Adelakun might as well not have bothered.

Both teams could have played for a further 60 minutes and created no goalmouth action. Hopefully our squad will reach full fitness levels soon.

Sounds like we got what we deserved, can't afford to make errors in defence against good forward lines. Concerns at the other end of the pitch with lack of creativity and finishing ability make for an unwanted cocktail currently. Feels like very much like the Lincoln side in the second half of last season at the moment, but I trust Appleton to turn it round. I've got got high hopes for the players who we've signed that are currently injured to make the difference.

Who is screaming - makepeace ot thommo? Or Appleton or Poole who realised he has to share a car with Clive Ford
He will have a good journey with me. Pretty sure I will find a Berni Inn somewhere in Sunderland for post negotiation celebrations, finished off with a couple of Caribbean coffees with extra shots of dark rum.

FT. Much better second half, but we do not look like a team at the moment. Far too many balls cut out by the opposition instead of quick short incisive passing with the ball through causing problems. It does show how much we miss Johnson, but it’s more than that. The midfield was great last year, but at the moment the like of McGrandles and Sorensen just don’t look fit enough or quick enough. We looked better second half with Bishop and Fiorini when they put a foot on the ball and tried to play shorter passes. I think it’ll bea similar outcome next week, although Oxford are less physical and try to play football. I think next week we’ll see Jackson as the left sided CB and Eyoma as the right sided one. Oh well, onwards and upwards. UTI 👍👏

He will have a good journey with me. Pretty sure I will find a Berni Inn somewhere in Sunderland for post negotiation celebrations, finished off with a couple of Caribbean coffees with extra shots of dark rum.

Careful, Clive. There's a limit to what HMRC will wear as legitimate expenses.

Going by the radio, sounds like the Bolton game again. We are simply creating nothing and not even working the keeper. Yes Wycombe are a tough side but we do need to focus on what matters and that is scoring goals. Bishop is our real hope at the minute but when will he be 90 mins fit.
Need to keep the faith but it is worrying even at this early stage.

Going by the radio, sounds like the Bolton game again. We are simply creating nothing and not even working the keeper. Yes Wycombe are a tough side but we do need to focus on what matters and that is scoring goals. Bishop is our real hope at the minute but when will he be 90 mins fit.
Their keeper made 3 good saves? Sounds like work to me!

The problem is simple: Rogers & Johnson haven't been replaced. They created goals, won penalties and scored a few themselves.

Defensive issues will be sorted, although the keeper's confidence might be an issue.

Bishop should adequately replace Grant, but needs match fitness and to stay fit.

Current line of thinking is lower mid-table, although with all the promoted sides doing ok so far it may be quite a nervy season in store.

Biggest problem with the gk is his distribution... very nervy and indecisive. Not surprising considering his age ~ but Wycombe really exploited it and we simply couldnt get going from the back... he did do a great throw out once though ~ maybe he needs to be doing that more. Also we could have done with Montsama helping him ~ as Melboune and Jackson are not great at carrying the ball out too. Poor game ~ but early days.

I'm hoping Fiorini will help in that department as well. Otherwise we may have to use Edun there. One of our many central midfielders must be able to provide some creativity! Though unsure about the quality of creativity on the wings, despite how much I rate Scully.

We’re still in our pre-season it seems - things will improve once the team get it’s fitness and gel. But how long will that take? Was fully expecting a slow start, so no big concerns just yet. We just have that mid-table obscurity feel about us at the moment. Still need a couple more bodies to come in.