MATCH THREAD v Wolves 17th Feb 3 pm | Page 15 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD v Wolves 17th Feb 3 pm

I believe how teams these days defend corners is to have a group of blockers and then a group of headers.

I know it looks bad but I don't think it was their job for the goal. They were there to block runners primarily which Son did do (i cant remember where Sarr was exactly). Our main headers of the ball should have been attacking it to clear it. The main question I have is why were we set up that not one of them close enough to at least put pressure on the header?
I saw 2 free headers in the box today, that's two too many in my book.

Vic & Cuti should have this shit sorted out. They're solid pros & should be seeing the danger signs. It's not difficult to read considering it's in our very own six yard box.

The amount of goals we've been conceding in general is next level. If it continues unchecked we'll only continue to fall behind the leading pack.

Vinnie I think we all like AP...the biggest worry by some is that when a change is needed....he is VERY slow to make the change and oftentimes he doesn't at all. He seems to ride on hope that things will work out....instead of dictating the result. This game called for creativity....you have a creative striker on the bench in Werner who has shown an affinity with Maddison....the change is too late and then he pulls our most creative player in Maddison....just mind boggling. He then pulls BOTH Biss and Sarr when they weren't really the problem.

He could have changed this game by simply removing Royal and maybe Davies and bringing on Drago by going to a back 3....then bringing on Werner and maybe BJ for the totally inept Son and less so Rich. He also could have gone even farther by bringing on Loco earlier for Biss or Sarr...or even Kulu.

He instead left Royal and Davies....and made changes VERY late.

Love AP...but he has a lot to learn in my book.
I totally agree with all your points US mate and it does drive me to distraction over Big Anges decisions but my point is when we lose in this fashion It's not good enough for some posters yet when we win in this fashion people are happy ,even though it is good enough for me win or lose because I know we are a work in progress. Give the Guy a chance FFS.

I still can't believe our only goal was a fluky bit by Kulu....LOL...we literally had no other serious looks at goal. I think Kulu had one other decent go at goal...and that was it....90+ min, almost 70% possession....and we had TWO lousy shit chances and one was lucky enough to go in. (I honestly think because the Wolves much like all of us were like "Holy Shit!" as Kulu toe poked between the stunned goalie's legs!)

Okay so i revisited the game through the highlights reel. We outnumbered Wolves by 5 to 2 from the corner & still allowed them to score with a free header. Madders, VdV & Sarr were all caught cold ball watching. Really poor defending.

I still can't believe our only goal was a fluky bit by Kulu....LOL...we literally had no other serious looks at goal. I think Kulu had one other decent go at goal...and that was it....90+ min, almost 70% possession....and we had TWO lousy shit chances and one was lucky enough to go in. (I honestly think because the Wolves much like all of us were like "Holy Shit!" as Kulu toe poked between the stunned goalie's legs!)
Sounds almost unbelievable when you put it like that, WTF is wrong with these players, are they shot shy or something?

Okay so i revisited the game through the highlights reel. We outnumbered Wolves by 5 to 2 from the corner & still allowed them to score with a free header. Madders, VdV & Sarr were all caught cold ball watching. Really poor defending.
That just shows we are not working hard enough on the training field. This issue lays with Ange and his coaching team. He is clearly ignoring the problem and thinks out scoring the opponent will be enough.

That won't cut it in the Premier league.

Big Ange must adapt. Playing a high line at every opportunity won't work with the caliber of players we have.

It's becoming very predicable. Any half decent coach can see how easy we are to play against.

I have lost interest to be honest. No trophies in sight. 👎
Has he the minerals to change or is he gonna crash & burn in flames? At this moment in time i don't think any one of us can really tell.

Just watched us on motd, I know it doesn't give a full story but wolves were unlucky not to score more. Hope Ange sorts this cos atm we have a great chance for top four. Any coach playing us knows what to do...Ange needs to show his tactical nous and make some tweaks to our set up so that we can continue with his attacking style but help us not to concede so many.

Today's game was lost by player errors - not tactics. Poor marking from a set piece and poor play by Bissouma to lose the ball in a poor position.

We didn't lay much of a glove on Wolves because of slow attacks, disjointed positioning and very compact defending by Wolves.

This is by no means the disaster some are claiming it is, but Ange really needs to tweak to get us back to early season form because our performances have gradually been getting more and more flat.

Today's game was lost by player errors - not tactics. Poor marking from a set piece and poor play by Bissouma to lose the ball in a poor position.

We didn't lay much of a glove on Wolves because of slow attacks, disjointed positioning and very compact defending by Wolves.

This is by no means the disaster some are claiming it is, but Ange really needs to tweak to get us back to early season form because our performances have gradually been getting more and more flat.
That's the thing Matic, some say posters are over reacting to this loss but it's not just this game, it's the trend for some time now, opposition coaches were surprised by Ange's setup initially but they've all worked out how to counter it now.

Well didn't see much of the game, only the highlights really.
For me, we're still a team trying to pull it together after a tough run of injuries and general squad upset.
However as has been said there were and are' tweaks' which could've occurred in this game to perhaps change things up.
And as has been said a few individual errors actually cost us today rather than overall tactics.
I do disagree with some posters analogies here, I think last week we clearly dominated both posession and shots on target.
Today was a different scenario, Wolves were arguably better, maybe edged it, but didn't dominate us, it wasn't a thrashing, could've been a deserved draw in reality.
As I've said many times, there's still work to do, the current squad even now need time to gel again after injuries etc..
If this, was this time next year then yup, not good enough, but I won't put the team down just yet, when we've barely played 3 game together.

Problem is with Anges 'system' is that the fullbacks have to be good enough to play fullback, defensive mid, centre mid and attacking mid, which Porro and The Dogg can.

Davies and Royal are average fullbacks that cannot play in Midfield. If the other two are not available then Ange either should tweak his system or play midfielders there that can actually play the other roles.

To insist that players fulfil roles that he obviously can see they can't, seems a little stubborn and inflexible to me.

I can't believe the Ange doubters on here, It's his first season in the prem,he's learning as he goes,we are playing some of the best football in years yet after a few bad results people are calling him out. Everyone's entitled to their opinions lads but some posters over dissect our performances to a ridiculous degree.
Yr right Vinnie, Everyone's entitled to their opinion: I'm not calling Ach out over recent matches, I doubted his ability (at this level) from the onset. Check his CV, Australia, Japan, "pub-league". You might point out that he took Australia to two world cups, result; kicked out at group stage (4th).
I accept that it's early in Ach's tenure and we are far more exciting than Spurs have been for a long time but, I can't honestly say better!

I overlooked adding....
Postecoglou's (Ach) name was never heard in connection with Tottenham Hotspur FC until his "guardian angel" Munn, got his arse on the bog-seat!
So I'll do it now.

You might point out that he took Australia to two world cups, result; kicked out at group stage (4th).
That's not correct, dawned on me later.
Ach had Australia qualified for the 2018 World Cup then, some six or eight months (can't recall exactly) resigned before the event started and if memory serves me right, went back to managing at club level.

For many seasons the overall Club performance has been negatively affected by our dropping too many points unnecessarily, particularly in home fixtures. This season is proving already to be no different, same old, same old. No excuses for yesterday's result, Wolves played pretty well to their abilities, we simply weren't good enough.
It would be wrong to draw too many conclusions from yesterday's game in isolation. This was our first defeat in six PL games, hardly a crisis. The performance level in all of those six games, where even our wins haven't been convincing, maybe raises certain issues however.
- Freed from Conte disease, the inevitable 'new manager bounce', the key signings of Maddison and Van Der Ven, and what in all honesty was a pretty generous early season fixture list, our early season results and league position after twelve games, created an impression amongst many that we are better than we actually are. Any talk of a Premiership challenge has always been pure nonsense, As others have rightly said, City, Liverpool and Arsenal are far more advanced in their development than we are.
- Postco has a lot of good qualities, whereby he has had a significant impact for the better on the culture, motivation and team spirit, and overall football quality at the Club. He is not however the Managerial Messiah that many have built him up to be. He can in fact be quite naive, often outsmarted at this level;

The drop of yesterday's three points was damaging, certainly relative to the 74 point fourth place finish I have been predicting for most of the season. We have a run of four consecutive fixtures coming up against Newcastle, City, Arsenal and Liverpool, plus a rearranged fixture away at an improving Chelsea.

That is a daunting run in which will determine whether we can consolidate as 'best of the rest'. To achieve that I can't help but feel that an old dog is going to have to learn new tricks.

Updated total points prediction table.

The projected total is based on the average number of points won per game this season so far multiplied by the number of remaining games.

The table order is determined by those tracking closest to the projected score.

Tottenham's projected points total71
PosterPredicted totalTracking
totalspurs710
muttley70-1
spurs195472-1
cobhspurs69-2
Gary Onedaysoon68-3
steveperryman68-3
lijaboc74-3
SheringhamNo1067-4
Spursex66-5
Geofspurs76-5