MATCH THREAD v Wolves 17th Feb 3 pm | Page 13 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD v Wolves 17th Feb 3 pm

We're still miles off the top 4 going by this performance, Pool win 4-1 at Brentford and the Gooners win 5-0 at Burnley, we are nowhere near this level.

Well that's obvious. They are both very established sides.

We are competing with Villa and Manure for 4th, 5th or 6th. Hopefully this game is the kick up the arse the team and Ange needs to turn this around. Son, Maddison and Romero need to stand up and drag the team back together.

We are playing a brilliant brand of losing football.
We'll see where we land up come May.
But this team and this style of play has managed to get itself kicked out of all the cup competitions at an early stage and will probably scrapping around the UEFA cup places come the end of the season.
The fact is, Ange has OK'd the purchase of players who are currently struggling to get results in the one competition they have to play in each week.
That's all down to him. He's got more at his disposal than most of the managers around him. He can have no complaints.
Well see what he comes up with.

The worrying thing for me when I look at the current squad is that still the one player who could actually improve us if he could be arsed is sat in Istanbul munching on Kebabs.

Last edited:
We're still miles off the top 4 going by this performance, Pool win 4-1 at Brentford and the Gooners win 5-0 at Burnley, we are nowhere near this level.
What a statement, jeez how long have both those teams coach's had to get their team together and ideas over? 4 to 6 years, ours has had only 7 months. COYS

We are competing with Villa and Manure for 4th, 5th or 6th. Hopefully this game is the kick up the arse the team and Ange needs to turn this around. Son, Maddison and Romero need to stand up and drag the team back together.
Problem as I see it is the last few games should have been the kick up the arse...but it wasnt. We have on paper some v good players so how we are playing is not equating to how we should be imo. Also I think Ange has to have a plan B. It's like telling a boxer to come out swinging and hope you hit more than the other guy. Exciting ..yes, but sometimes you have to tweek it. I didn't watch the game so can only go by texts, I'm puzzled (but not surprised) as to why he played Emerson & Davies when he knows they don't really suit the system. I never really thought we would get too 3, but 4/5 is in our own hands. Yes it's early days. Yes we are ahead of schedule. But in the blink of an eye we can be struggling to hold into 6th and regretting not taking the opportunities. Also why are we playing so slowly in the first half still. Rant over.

What a statement, jeez how long have both those teams coach's had to get their team together and ideas over? 4 to 6 years, ours has had only 7 months. COYS
We were seeing progress towards our goal earlier in the season and blamed our injuries and international call ups for the recent stutter but the fact is even with an almost full squad available now we appear to be going backwards in the most naive fashion.

Problem as I see it is the last few games should have been the kick up the arse...but it wasnt. We have on paper some v good players so how we are playing is not equating to how we should be imo. Also I think Ange has to have a plan B. It's like telling a boxer to come out swinging and hope you hit more than the other guy. Exciting ..yes, but sometimes you have to tweek it. I didn't watch the game so can only go by texts, I'm puzzled (but not surprised) as to why he played Emerson & Davies when he knows they don't really suit the system. I never really thought we would get too 3, but 4/5 is in our own hands. Yes it's early days. Yes we are ahead of schedule. But in the blink of an eye we can be struggling to hold into 6th and regretting not taking the opportunities. Also why are we playing so slowly in the first half still. Rant over.
Form has dipped and players are coming back from injury. We'd be mad to panic. But if we miss out on Europe after the overhaul we have had I think we can consider that a disaster.
A good run and well be back in the mix. Thats the reality of it.

Angeball demands high energy and we seem seriously devoid of it. Or maybe that it's just too easy to suppress. That has always been my fear. What was exhilarating early doors has become gut-retchingly nervy and naive. I really can't see us sustaining any challenge for a top 5 spot with this pattern of play. Is it really building towards something?

Lots to say...but all I keep coming back to is....we look like complete ass. Not much more to say than that.

Form has dipped and players are coming back from injury. We'd be mad to panic. But if we miss out on Europe after the overhaul we have had I think we can consider that a disaster.
Manager has a full set of players to select from minus the full backs, that's the best he could come up with?

He needs to adjust, it's so dumb playing the same way with royal and Davies

I can't believe the Ange doubters on here, It's his first season in the prem,he's learning as he goes,we are playing some of the best football in years yet after a few bad results people are calling him out. Everyone's entitled to their opinions lads but some posters over dissect our performances to a ridiculous degree.
I doubt him as we have played like ass since before Xmas, he's adjusted nothing.

I can't believe the Ange doubters on here, It's his first season in the prem,he's learning as he goes,we are playing some of the best football in years yet after a few bad results people are calling him out. Everyone's entitled to their opinions lads but some posters over dissect our performances to a ridiculous degree.

Vinnie I think we all like AP...the biggest worry by some is that when a change is needed....he is VERY slow to make the change and oftentimes he doesn't at all. He seems to ride on hope that things will work out....instead of dictating the result. This game called for creativity....you have a creative striker on the bench in Werner who has shown an affinity with Maddison....the change is too late and then he pulls our most creative player in Maddison....just mind boggling. He then pulls BOTH Biss and Sarr when they weren't really the problem.

He could have changed this game by simply removing Royal and maybe Davies and bringing on Drago by going to a back 3....then bringing on Werner and maybe BJ for the totally inept Son and less so Rich. He also could have gone even farther by bringing on Loco earlier for Biss or Sarr...or even Kulu.

He instead left Royal and Davies....and made changes VERY late.

Love AP...but he has a lot to learn in my book.

When it's good, it's good, but when it's bad it's horrid. We are in danger of sacrificing great potential on the altar of banishing the memory of Conte and Moanyball.

I'd disagree with that vehemently Vinnie and hope it doesn't wreck your binge!

"we are playing some of the best football in years" - this is the bit that grates me. After having had two dinosaurs for 3 seasons, it wouldn't have taken much to enagage a 'front foot' coach to get the lads enjoy themselves. In addition get shot of the old brigade and the two factors give you a very enjoyable football. Why Ange is getting credit for that is beyond me. I look at how individuals may improve under coaches as well as the tactical and in-game management. What we are presently witnessing, I'd wager my bottom dollar, and say even the Luton manager would've got the same tune of our talented squad.

I keep saying this, we are not Celtic where they can freely score 3/4 goals and make it look so easy. PL is a MAJOR step up - ask Rodgers, Gerrard. Admit it, we've been lucky with many of the results, even in defeats where it could've been a thrashing with this brand of football. It is Ossieball.

Nuno was given just a few months and peeps were unhappy with that vacant glare on his face. The blank glare from Ange is worrying.

I am bored with reading he gives great interviews. Well, I don't watch them as Crocodile Dundee is just as good an entertainment!.

I'd disagree with that vehemently Vinnie and hope it doesn't wreck your binge!

"we are playing some of the best football in years" - this is the bit that grates me. After having had two dinosaurs for 3 seasons, it wouldn't have taken much to enagage a 'front foot' coach to get the lads enjoy themselves. In addition get shot of the old brigade and the two factors give you a very enjoyable football. Why Ange is getting credit for that is beyond me. I look at how individuals may improve under coaches as well as the tactical and in-game management. What we are presently witnessing, I'd wager my bottom dollar, and say even the Luton manager would've got the same tune of our talented squad.

I keep saying this, we are not Celtic where they can freely score 3/4 goals and make it look so easy. PL is a MAJOR step up - ask Rodgers, Gerrard. Admit it, we've been lucky with many of the results, even in defeats where it could've been a thrashing with this brand of football. It is Ossieball.

Nuno was given just a few months and peeps were unhappy with that vacant glare on his face. The blank glare from Ange is worrying.

I am bored with reading he gives great interviews. Well, I don't watch them as Crocodile Dundee is just as good an entertainment!.
This is correct

What's happened to bissouma?

Started the season with a spring in his step, beating a man to make space

No he is scared to make a forward pass.

For an all action coach, we play sideways and backwards a lot.

Vinnie I think we all like AP...the biggest worry by some is that when a change is needed....he is VERY slow to make the change and oftentimes he doesn't at all. He seems to ride on hope that things will work out....instead of dictating the result. This game called for creativity....you have a creative striker on the bench in Werner who has shown an affinity with Maddison....the change is too late and then he pulls our most creative player in Maddison....just mind boggling. He then pulls BOTH Biss and Sarr when they weren't really the problem.

He could have changed this game by simply removing Royal and maybe Davies and bringing on Drago by going to a back 3....then bringing on Werner and maybe BJ for the totally inept Son and less so Rich. He also could have gone even farther by bringing on Loco earlier for Biss or Sarr...or even Kulu.

He instead left Royal and Davies....and made changes VERY late.

Love AP...but he has a lot to learn in my book.

Davies and Royal were out play makes today, what's the point of that?

If they are playing that far forward why not play kulu in one of their places and start Johnson / Werner.

We won't. We do have problems but they're certainly fixable. As i said earlier the time for naval gazing is over. Somebody needs to have a word.