MATCH THREAD v Wolves 17th Feb 3 pm | Page 17 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD v Wolves 17th Feb 3 pm

What i fail to understand is why he insists on trying to blow the bloody doors off when the channels down the wings are wide open. Jamie also highlighted his frustration with this. We play far too narrow. If we ping a couple in we'll still have the opportunity to retrieve it with the high press. This system is infinitely adjustable so why isn't he adjusting it accordingly?
Beats me, and it wasn't just me, around 20 of in the bar yesterday had a debate about the stupidity of it for almost an hour!

Gary O’Neil did a number on Ange yesterday for sure.

Tactically, if we don’t tweak things we are going to struggle a lot more between now and the end of the season.

So many things from yesterday’s game annoyed me.

Kilman was able to block Romero out (far too easily) on the corner for the 1st goal, leaving Gomes a free jump against Son (who didn’t get off the floor - no surprise there, as Son is hardly renowned for his aerial ability)

Bissouma on the 2nd goal. Jesus… losing the ball in the first place on the edge of their box (annoying but forgivable - it happens) but then after tracking back to make up for his mistake (we still manage to get 5 players back to defend 3 Wolves players) Biss decides to completely switch off and allow Gomes to run into the box unmarked???? The only real danger and he just didn’t react. It’s not as if he couldn’t see the run. School boy stuff.

Ange’s decision to play Davies as our inverted LB (effectively meaning he played the majority of the game as an attacking midfielder) We’d have been better off playing Kulusevski or Lo Celso there if we want him that high and central?

Where has our press gone? Go as a team or don’t go at all! We were so easy to play around!

After the Jose and Conte years, Ange has been a breath of fresh air. I’ve loved watching us this season (no question) I also appreciate that it’s only been a very short time and am more than willing to be patient.

My problem is, this isn’t a Mickey Mouse league. Ange has being the darling of the media this season but there are plenty of quality, tactically astute managers (Gary O Neil is one of them) who will find us out IF we fail to adapt.

Bravery or Naivety?

The bottom line is that we are giving up 4 or 5 quality chances every game. If it wasn’t for Vicario we’d be losing most weeks. Whatever else, that’s not sustainable.
There's a few points to address but as far as i can see they're all fixable.

My biggest beef remains our woeful defending from set pieces. Cuti should be more vocal & a lot stronger there, as should Vic. They were camped on our 6 yard box for crying out, sort it lads. Schoolboy error.

I'm not liking the square peg in the round hole approach either with regards to certain roles within the team. It's only going to hurt us.

He's a shrewd guy, i believe there's still more to come from him but, here's the rub. Unless he's willing to adapt he'll be found out & will be collecting his P45 much sooner than either of us thought.

What I can’t understand is Ange was crying out loud for an extra central defender and we got him one of the best in Dragosin! And yet …………… better say nowt!

I was so pissed off after the game … I didn’t want to hear the reviews or read them on here , and I still haven’t .

Except for Ange’s review ….. and he said that we kept them in the game and that we weren’t good enough YET .

So after that , I felt better .

No excuses , no bollocks , no ranting .

So I go back to my earlier comments , we are seven months into his rebuilding of a team that was a disgrace last season .

We now have a two week break . For some players that will be a blessing , for others it will be just what they didn’t want .

I think Ange is learning a lot as well .
Well put post there Walt. COYS

Afraid that does seem the case, early in the season when he would adapt/change tactics, I could just about accept that it was because he was trying to imprint a system on the players - what particularly spings to mind is our suicidal approach when we played ourselves into trouble against the chav's.

My complaints about what we did, were probably rightly shouted down. I accepted the views of others.

But now after yet another poor overall display, I'm beginning to think there will be a time limit to accepting performances like this, and I'd rather he avoid even that question by just showing a bit more tactical smarts.
He is not going to last another year if he does not change, we will win games because we have better players in the clutch moments, not down to his management.

Where would be with Hugo in goal? I appreciate you can say that about any teams best player, but Vicario must have saved us close to double digit points.

Without luck we would be mid table.

I wish I hadn't read all the post, well most of em lol! because it seems "we are Doomed! I tell ya Doomed!"
I am now so depressed! Lol!

Saw Angies after match interview yesterday, said it all!
Think he now puts his big boots on and there will be a few sore arses! lol!
For me its the players themselves that have let Angie, themselves and the fans down.

So 2 weeks rest ahead! jeez! how bloody boring is that going to be? lol! COYS

Just watched us on motd, I know it doesn't give a full story but wolves were unlucky not to score more. Hope Ange sorts this cos atm we have a great chance for top four. Any coach playing us knows what to do...Ange needs to show his tactical nous and make some tweaks to our set up so that we can continue with his attacking style but help us not to concede so many.

Wolves should have had this game done and dusted early

Updated total points prediction table.

The projected total is based on the average number of points won per game this season so far multiplied by the number of remaining games.

The table order is determined by those tracking closest to the projected score.

Tottenham's projected points total71
PosterPredicted totalTracking
totalspurs710
muttley70-1
spurs195472-1
cobhspurs69-2
Gary Onedaysoon68-3
steveperryman68-3
lijaboc74-3
SheringhamNo1067-4
Spursex66-5
Geofspurs76-5
Pompey Yid76-5
Greavswasthegreatest76-5
USAFSPURS63-8
TQ2Spurs62-9
vinniecopenhagen80-9
Walthamstow wanderer80-9

TQ and I are creeping up the table!!! LOL

I think a lot of energy has gone out of the team. I hear training is incredibly intense but that intensity is no longer matched on match days. Have their legs gone already, this is what it looked like yesterday. This would be really worrying considering we have had no cup runs and no European football this season.
I find it a little concerning that Ange has admitted that the way we play will always result in the opposition having chances on the counter attack. We can’t keep relying on wonder saves from Vicario.
I am starting to think that Ange is a bit of a fantasist in believing that we will get so good at Angeball that our opponents will be suffocated into submission. I go back to my earlier point that we are up against elite coaches and players who already seem to have worked us out.
Either Ange evolves or he will be the latest in a long line of Spurs coaches who have succeeded elsewhere but who have found the challenge of turning Spurs into an elite team too much,

Only thing I can say is....if Angie cannot see what is happening, but am sure he does, I believe with the amount of negativity he may read from fans, he will fall on his own sword! eventually, because no matter what fault is always being found by some.

But from me and others there is no negativity, 7 months into his job, he like Spurs in general is learning, he will learn and adapt I am sure.

Whatever the last 3 results, lessons are and will be learnt, for me the future still looks good no matter what the opinions of fans are at the mo, that is way to high in expectations. COYS

Not sure I made any sense there LOL!

I think a lot of energy has gone out of the team. I hear training is incredibly intense but that intensity is no longer matched on match days. Have their legs gone already, this is what it looked like yesterday. This would be really worrying considering we have had no cup runs and no European football this season.
I find it a little concerning that Ange has admitted that the way we play will always result in the opposition having chances on the counter attack. We can’t keep relying on wonder saves from Vicario.
I am starting to think that Ange is a bit of a fantasist in believing that we will get so good at Angeball that our opponents will be suffocated into submission. I go back to my earlier point that we are up against elite coaches and players who already seem to have worked us out.
Either Ange evolves or he will be the latest in a long line of Spurs coaches who have succeeded elsewhere but who have found the challenge of turning Spurs into an elite team too much,
How can that be though when we're playing only 1 game per week?

There are no hiding places in the cut & thrust of the PL. Players, owners, managers alike will all at some stage have to face the music. Ange & a good few of the players will find out in due course if this form continues unchecked.

Personally I don't see the need for all the negativity.
Yes there are areas for improvement, into a 7 month tenure, I'll say it again we have players just back. Our two midfield mainstays just aren't hitting form ATM in Bents and Biss, and Madders needs another game or 2, I do think it will come .
With that said
We drew, against Manure at OT
We drew against a very lucky Everton at Goodison.
We were dominant against Brighton, more possession shots on target etc.
Man C FA Cup dodgy goal, done us but we weren't good
Again Wolves did beat us, but could have gotten a draw.
I just don't see all the need for doom and gloom just now.
I think the Arse, , Liverpool results lately have worried a few supporters, there have been moments where we couldn't change players, and now those players are back, and indeed we could and should change things up perhaps earlier, but at 1-1 you're still in the game, in short I'm not writing the team or manager off just yet.

Personally I don't see the need for all the negativity.
Yes there are areas for improvement, into a 7 month tenure, I'll say it again we have players just back. Our two midfield mainstays just aren't hitting form ATM in Bents and Biss, and Madders needs another game or 2, I do think it will come .
With that said
We drew, against Manure at OT
We drew against a very lucky Everton at Goodison.
We were dominant against Brighton, more possession shots on target etc.
Man C FA Cup dodgy goal, done us but we weren't good
Again Wolves did beat us, but could have gotten a draw.
I just don't see all the need for doom and gloom just now.
I think the Arse, , Liverpool results lately have worried a few supporters, there have been moments where we couldn't change players, and now those players are back, and indeed we could and should change things up perhaps earlier, but at 1-1 you're still in the game, in short I'm not writing the team or manager off just yet.
Way too much sense and reasoning here Niall. You will never last on this forum!
:rofl:

He is not going to last another year if he does not change, we will win games because we have better players in the clutch moments, not down to his management.

Where would be with Hugo in goal? I appreciate you can say that about any teams best player, but Vicario must have saved us close to double digit points.

Without luck we would be mid table.
Can't say I agree with you, I think he's done a fantastic job despite being thrown into a bloody mess.

He needs time to build a squad and tweak his system, it won't happen overnight.

Only thing I can say is....if Angie cannot see what is happening, but am sure he does, I believe with the amount of negativity he may read from fans, he will fall on his own sword! eventually, because no matter what fault is always being found by some.

But from me and others there is no negativity, 7 months into his job, he like Spurs in general is learning, he will learn and adapt I am sure.

Whatever the last 3 results, lessons are and will be learnt, for me the future still looks good no matter what the opinions of fans are at the mo, that is way to high in expectations. COYS

Not sure I made any sense there LOL!
Pomp, I love your devotion and positivity buddy. I really do. I was a fully paid up member. After all, you are right. The man’s only been here 7 months. He’s transformed the way we play. Practically given us our club back so it’s hard for me to now be critical.

The trouble is, my eyes don’t lie.

Our defense currently seems to depend on VdV’s pace to get back in and put out fires or Vicario’s ability to make 4/5 top saves every game.

We got away with it early in the season but managers are now licking their lips at the prospect of playing us as they know they will get numerous chances to score against us without needing to open us up.

I’m still keeping the faith but a tweak is needed. We need more solidity.

This for me is on him and his coaching ticket, not the players. If the managers swapped dugouts yesterday, I think we win the game , simple as that.

Pomp, I love your devotion and positivity buddy. I really do. I was a fully paid up member. After all, you are right. The man’s only been here 7 months. He’s transformed the way we play. Practically given us our club back so it’s hard for me to now be critical.

The trouble is, my eyes don’t lie.

Our defense currently seems to depend on VdV’s pace to get back in and put out fires or Vicario’s ability to make 4/5 top saves every game.

We got away with it early in the season but managers are now licking their lips at the prospect of playing us as they know they will get numerous chances to score against us without needing to open us up.

I’m still keeping the faith but a tweak is needed. We need more solidity.

This for me is on him and his coaching ticket, not the players. If the managers swapped dugouts yesterday, I think we win the game , simple as that.
That’s a great post Sherringham. When you are at the games you can see how clearly how easy we are to play against and how easy it is to open us up with one simple pass.
Ange’s philosophy may work in the Scottish League. It will fail miserably in the Premier League if he refuses to tweak his system or occasionally compromise his principles.