MATCH THREAD TOTTENHAM v Chelsea Monday 6 th November 20-00 kick off | Page 19 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD TOTTENHAM v Chelsea Monday 6 th November 20-00 kick off

I hate VAR but for both Sons and Dier’s goals the linesman flagged for offside so goals would have been disallowed anyway. For me the offside rule should not be about millimetres but there must be clear daylight between the attacking player and defender, that’s an advantage.

I hate VAR but for both Sons and Dier’s goals the linesman flagged for offside so goals would have been disallowed anyway. For me the offside rule should not be about millimetres but there must be clear daylight between the attacking player and defender, that’s an advantage.
It has to be precise or it is meaningless. It is a black and white issue but the problem is determination. It seems the frame rate gives cause for debate on when to draw lines. Surely the best solution is to always choose the most favourable to the attacker as in every other respect it is a good goal. Debatable fouls should be given benefit of doubt to defenders.

I suppose the bubble had to burst eventually
Unfortunately it was against Chelsea.
With that said at 11v 11, I could only see us winning that game.
Silly decisions by our defenders getting sent off, and indeed two injuries, dictated where we had to go by way of substitutions.
Part of the problem was that those red cards and injuries were to players who were by and large our backbone.
Was the, Ref consistent, no, Chelsea could've been down to 10 with 'the elbow from Reece James ' and indeed Moderyk (spelling) got away with several yellow card fouls.
With that said the 9 on the pitch tolled relentlessly and we could and should be proud of our team, it was, really only in the latter stages that Chelsea really got their goals, when we were trying to snatch back a point.
To Dier and, Hoj well done for slotting in and doing a shift in a truely professional manner.
Our tactics, maybe needed looking at and with 9 men it maybe should've been a 'Conte style' park the bus scenario.
But that ain't us now.
The Ref has never been on our side and will give virtually anything in the opposition favour he can.
Romero needs to address his aggressive behaviour at times Udogie needs to learn from this.
Still 2nd in the league, had to happen sometime.

Good summary. As I've warned most of this season, sooner or later when you play as we do, it becomes inevitable.

Romero and Udogie need to learn why you don't force the ref/now VAR into making decisions like that, both sendings off were stupid and showed a lack of self awareness and footballing intelligence, neither tackle that led to their sendings' off were necessary; that's immaturity.

The mantra they should be made repeat in the naughty seats today is 'do not go to ground, stay on your feet'...

But we can be proud of how we coped for a good long period, we must now learn from this and this includes Ange, he defends his tactics well, but as I've said before in this league you need to be a coach that can show he has mastery of more than one tactical approach and it's the desperate need NOT to be wedded is what wins games or at least saves them.

The injuries were my biggest fear, as I've said our depth playing the way Ange sets us up, is missing and we'd better address it Jan or this will be another entertaining but ultimately disappointing season.

Winning the ball is irrelevant with a tackle like that.

Hundreds of footballers manage to do it most weeks, he was hyped up from the previous 5 minutes.

It was dangerous, out of control and a deserved red.

It is the sort of tackle that when I played you'd be furious with who attempted it, as you know full well, he wasn't in control and an inch higher or to the side and you'd end up with a snapped leg, that can be season or even career ending.

Sadly, he fully deserved the red.

At the outset Ange has said he's not going to change his system.

I guess the thinking here was that if we pushed 10-20 metres further back we'd end up playing the way Liverpool did against us when they were down to 9 men and we'd have no out ball for Son and no chancing of scoring.

He obviously believed that we could still score and wanted to give us a platform for doing so. And it nearly worked.

It's a matter of choice whether you think it was the right call in the circumstances. The crowd seemed to think so. I can't remember the last time they gave such great vocal support to the team when they were staring down the barrel.

The support was magnificent; we went down fighting and that will only endear the faithful to him again, that said, personally, I thought this high line tactic was suicidal, which eventually it proved to be.

I hope everyone learns from this game.

Not only did Romero 'win the ball' he kicked it away in clearance, and on the follow-thru the Chelsea player stepped in front of him. I challenge ANY human being to stop the forward travel of his leg in that situation. That's not a red card, that's not even a yellow. Ive dared anyone to school me with with an explanation in the VAR thread... Have at it.

The offside on Son was also suspicious. Until they have 120 cameras lining the sides, there's no angle that will be accurate. Relying on VAR to make a choice without a straight line is ludicrous. They replayed Son's position over and again, but with their poor frame rate, when Johsnson actually kicked the ball is equally inportance, and we see nothing of that frame choice. Ive said many time, Son can move more than 3 meters, in one frame.

also, if anyone doesnt think Reece James elbowed Udogg in the face on purpose, youre stoopid. It was an obvious intentional act.

What a joke.

Cant imagine how any true Spurs fan could be at all upset about how our players got on in this game. Ive been waiting 3 YEARS to see this kind of grit & ballz from a Spurs squad under duress. Good on ya lads, and I hope for more of it.

The entire squad of Prem refs are fuken embarrassing. The degradation in quality so quickly is astonishing. Feels like a temporary suspension of the VAR system is in order. They are affecting the results in improper ways, in multiple games per week.

Not a big loss, stuck our table place, and historically not a real points getter.

Helluva a learning & bonding game for the squad, and I guarantee we pull a win or two out this season because of this experience.

And......

I admit, Im done w the guy, and want him gone...... But..... Eric Dier was a monster in the time he got today. If he concentrates on his job, and stops trying to be a Captain, he may well have something more to say before he moves on. Its not at all easy to sit and not play, and then come on and be immense, so props to him for that. Just hope we dont have to count on him too long, as there's a blunder in there waiting to happen.

Super entertaining tho, and gotta respect Ange for sticking with his style, and going for it to the end.

COYS!

Eric's finally fit after a season of playing without an anchor around his groin and hamstring.

He's made his decision, I'm in regular contact with him now, I suspect nothing will change his mind now.

Last edited:
Did you all notice the incredible passion of Hodj when he cleared that almost certain goal off the line and over the bar I thought we had won the league! Superb show of desire. He and Dier were top notch when they came on! And when he put it away who knew Dier could control a shot like that.

So many positives in that defeat...strange eh!

Last edited:
It is the sort of tackle that when I played you'd be furious with who attempted it, as you know full well, he wasn't in control and an inch higher or to the side and you'd end up with a snapped leg, that can be season or even career ending.

He knew what he was doing, he went in to crunch someone and make it look fair.

As I said previously, a scum bags tackle.

"Spursex": Ach - stuck to his principles, even knowing it would end in a horrendous but fighting defeat, the crowd appreciated it. As did this ol' bugger....

Good summary. As I've warned most of this season, sooner or later when you play as we do, it becomes inevitable.

Romero and Udogie need to learn why you don't force the ref/now VAR into making decisions like that, both sendings off were stupid and showed a lack of self awareness and footballing intelligence, neither tackle that led to their sendings' off were necessary; that's immaturity.

The mantra they should be made repeat in the naughty seats today is 'do not go to ground, stay on your feet'...

But we can be proud of how we coped for a good long period, we must now learn from this and this includes Ange, he defends his tactics well, but as I've said before in this league you need to be a coach that can show he has mastery of more than one tactical approach and it's the desperate need NOT to be wedded is what wins games or at least saves them.

The injuries were my biggest fear, as I've said our depth playing the way Ange sets us up, is missing and we'd better address it Jan or this will be another entertaining but ultimately disappointing season.
The mantra I learned playing football as a schoolboy. For pros to be going to ground like that is one of my biggest bug bears. Two of our supposed leadership group, have now been sent off in a matter of weeks. Great example.

I'm still on the fence with Romero's tackle, whilst it looked reckless I still don't know where he was supposed to put his foot after winning the ball.

Either way, I hate to say it but we need to look at selling him. He's incredible but he will cost us too many times.

The mantra I learned playing football as a schoolboy. For pros to be going to ground like that is one of my biggest bug bears. Two of our supposed leadership group, have now been sent off in a matter of weeks. Great example.
I remember many years ago playing in a 5 a side team with Paul Miller after he retired. He talked non stop and playing just in front of him his constant mantra when challenging a man was stand up 54, stand up. Never forgot that!

I remember many years ago playing in a 5 a side team with Paul Miller after he retired. He talked non stop and playing just in front of him his constant mantra when challenging a man was stand up 54, stand up. Never forgot that!
Maxi was old school like us 54, sound advice from a well versed former pro.

I really don't get it when goals are disallowed because of a decision involving a few millimetres and yet a guy (Jackson) can be 2-3 yards offside when Sterling receives a ball but can go on to score from the cross. He had so much advantage from that offside position it is unbelievable that the rules deem it to be a valid goal.

"Spursex": Ach - stuck to his principles, even knowing it would end in a horrendous but fighting defeat, the crowd appreciated it. As did this ol' bugger....
It was commendable but once we went 3-1 down I think it would have been more prudent to protect our goal difference.

I don’t disagree with the red. However, if my memory serves me correctly, I think he would not have been so agitated if the referee had stopped the play and given a foul in his favour midway in the Chelsea half just slightly earlier. I’m sure that’s what triggered the reaction in a typical Argentinian manner I’m afraid.

I'm still on the fence with Romero's tackle, whilst it looked reckless I still don't know where he was supposed to put his foot after winning the ball.

Either way, I hate to say it but we need to look at selling him. He's incredible but he will cost us too many times.
He changed the angle of his foot on the follow through. He new what he was doing. That kind of action is built into his DNA. He is as dirty a player as there is in elite football.

He changed the angle of his foot on the follow through. He new what he was doing. That kind of action is built into his DNA. He is as dirty a player as there is in elite football.

I agree he's an accident waiting to happen and will cost us far too often.

I'm still not convinced that follow through could be helped or was deliberate, the slow mo shows he turns away with his eyes closed.

Is it just because he connected with the player? Them tackles happen 5 times every game.