MATCH THREAD TOTTENHAM v Chelsea Monday 6 th November 20-00 kick off | Page 18 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD TOTTENHAM v Chelsea Monday 6 th November 20-00 kick off

What do you mean. They all had each others back. If anything they trust each other more than ever. Udogie was just youthful exuberance which needs channeled. Romero needs more management but he is still class.
The team will learn from this
I hope so LH, but it was the way they just fell apart with reckless challenges and giving the ball away. They went from total control to total meltdown in a matter of minutes. Sure they gave it a go but the damage was done and more consequences will follow.

Good interview avoided being critical of Romero in particular by stating we must accept referee’s decision and quite rightly bashed VAR for taking over running the game. Frustrating that decisions are so inconsistent, James incident tonight Bruno v Arse on Saturday, which are both red cards.

Hour after game ends it’s pretty obvious the sending offs and injuries tonight are probably going to really knock us back with difficult fixtures ahead and a bit concerning long term mentality the hamstring injury might have on VDV if he loses confidence in doing those sprint. However, we are very close to having a cracking team and if we can add to what we have the next two or three seasons could be very bright.

Getting early business done in January is even more pressing now. Can we really continue to play a high line with Dier and Davies?
I'm assuming his post match 'we'll play that way with 5 mate' was just bravado.

If not. God help us.

He looked a tiny bit flustered to me. Hate to say it. Tonight we were a mixture of Ossies famous five and Vinny Jones Wimbledon.

I suppose the bubble had to burst eventually
Unfortunately it was against Chelsea.
With that said at 11v 11, I could only see us winning that game.
Silly decisions by our defenders getting sent off, and indeed two injuries, dictated where we had to go by way of substitutions.
Part of the problem was that those red cards and injuries were to players who were by and large our backbone.
Was the, Ref consistent, no, Chelsea could've been down to 10 with 'the elbow from Reece James ' and indeed Moderyk (spelling) got away with several yellow card fouls.
With that said the 9 on the pitch tolled relentlessly and we could and should be proud of our team, it was, really only in the latter stages that Chelsea really got their goals, when we were trying to snatch back a point.
To Dier and, Hoj well done for slotting in and doing a shift in a truely professional manner.
Our tactics, maybe needed looking at and with 9 men it maybe should've been a 'Conte style' park the bus scenario.
But that ain't us now.
The Ref has never been on our side and will give virtually anything in the opposition favour he can.
Romero needs to address his aggressive behaviour at times Udogie needs to learn from this.
Still 2nd in the league, had to happen sometime.

I suppose the bubble had to burst eventually
Unfortunately it was against Chelsea.
With that said at 11v 11, I could only see us winning that game.
Silly decisions by our defenders getting sent off, and indeed two injuries, dictated where we had to go by way of substitutions.
Part of the problem was that those red cards and injuries were to players who were by and large our backbone.
Was the, Ref consistent, no, Chelsea could've been down to 10 with 'the elbow from Reece James ' and indeed Moderyk (spelling) got away with several yellow card fouls.
With that said the 9 on the pitch tolled relentlessly and we could and should be proud of our team, it was, really only in the latter stages that Chelsea really got their goals, when we were trying to snatch back a point.
To Dier and, Hoj well done for slotting in and doing a shift in a truely professional manner.
Our tactics, maybe needed looking at and with 9 men it maybe should've been a 'Conte style' park the bus scenario.
But that ain't us now.
The Ref has never been on our side and will give virtually anything in the opposition favour he can.
Romero needs to address his aggressive behaviour at times Udogie needs to learn from this.
Still 2nd in the league, had to happen sometime.
An excellent summary.

On a positive note we could go back to the top - for at least 24 hours or so if we beat Wolves next Sat Will be interesting who starts that game....Wolves definitely not a pushover!

It feels beyond doubt to me that if we had 11v11 we would have walked that game. Chelsea were very, very poor. We gave them the result through the stupid reds and we were the ones to suffer important injuries.

I am also 99% sure VdVs injury doesn't happen if the players weren't having to spend so much time waiting around for VAR. I can't believe we are at a point where players will have to do warm ups during VAR checks now.

Well, what can you say? Rhetorical. The game started as expected and after twenty minutes or so we looked like we’d be top of the table. It was Spurs at their best. But it’s football.

11 v 11, and we win.

10 v 11, and we could still win, or at least draw.

9 v 11, and we had no chance of winning. Except that the spirit of those remaining on the park did not falter and, right up until legs were understandably tiring in the final minutes, and against all odds, nine heroes almost got something from the game.

Is there a better GK around than Vicario? Rhetorical.

So, with a loss looking inevitable, despite against a poor Chelsea team, we did not attempt damage-limitation (as most managers would have done) but continued to play the Spurs way. There will be criticism for that, but not from me.

On paper, a 4-1 defeat looks like a disaster and a very poor performance. It is not a disaster, and it was not a poor performance.

Two red cards! My only thought is that Udogie will learn from it, and Romero needs to understand that it is more effective to stay between the ball and the goal than to be sent off. If he can’t get his head around that basic football philosophy, we cannot afford to play him.

Football is the ‘People’s game’. VAR is destroying it.

For a fully fit Spurs squad, the sky is not even the limit. I am so proud of this team.

Not only did Romero 'win the ball' he kicked it away in clearance, and on the follow-thru the Chelsea player stepped in front of him. I challenge ANY human being to stop the forward travel of his leg in that situation. That's not a red card, that's not even a yellow. Ive dared anyone to school me with with an explanation in the VAR thread... Have at it.

The offside on Son was also suspicious. Until they have 120 cameras lining the sides, there's no angle that will be accurate. Relying on VAR to make a choice without a straight line is ludicrous. They replayed Son's position over and again, but with their poor frame rate, when Johsnson actually kicked the ball is equally inportance, and we see nothing of that frame choice. Ive said many time, Son can move more than 3 meters, in one frame.

also, if anyone doesnt think Reece James elbowed Udogg in the face on purpose, youre stoopid. It was an obvious intentional act.

What a joke.

Cant imagine how any true Spurs fan could be at all upset about how our players got on in this game. Ive been waiting 3 YEARS to see this kind of grit & ballz from a Spurs squad under duress. Good on ya lads, and I hope for more of it.

The entire squad of Prem refs are fuken embarrassing. The degradation in quality so quickly is astonishing. Feels like a temporary suspension of the VAR system is in order. They are affecting the results in improper ways, in multiple games per week.

Not a big loss, stuck our table place, and historically not a real points getter.

Helluva a learning & bonding game for the squad, and I guarantee we pull a win or two out this season because of this experience.

And......

I admit, Im done w the guy, and want him gone...... But..... Eric Dier was a monster in the time he got today. If he concentrates on his job, and stops trying to be a Captain, he may well have something more to say before he moves on. Its not at all easy to sit and not play, and then come on and be immense, so props to him for that. Just hope we dont have to count on him too long, as there's a blunder in there waiting to happen.

Super entertaining tho, and gotta respect Ange for sticking with his style, and going for it to the end.

COYS!

Last edited:
It happens, let's move on. We were never going to get a result without Maddison, Romero, VDV and Udogie, nevermind 9 men on the pitch!

Season prediction Matches 38 Wins 22 Draws 10 Defeats 6 Points 76 Average Points per Game 2 Final position 3rd
Current Status Played 11, Won 8, Draws 2, Defeats 1 Points 26 Points per Game 2.36 Position 2nd

No problem, providing we learn something from this game, For the first twenty minutes of this match we were superb, Chelsea looked set for a thrashing. How we lost control of the match and our heads so badly over the next fifteen minutes or so almost defied belief.

It needed two experienced pros not considered good enough for the starting line up to restore some order and discipline, albeit that on the night the occassion proved too much for one or two players in the starting line up. Dier was desperately unlucky to have an outstanding finish ultimately denied by the increasingly frustrating VAR system.

We are however going to lose six games this season, this was just the first of them in our eleventh game. A third placed finish is still very much achievable, with only City and possibly Liverpool looking definites to finish above us. If there is a positive relative to last night's defeat though, it will be that the speculation and hype surrounding Postco winning the PL, levels out to something more realistcic, which will benefit both the manager and the players.

Forget last night's scoreline. There was still enough on display to reenforce the view that this is a very good team.

Applaud the 9 - they deserve it ..... but the offside trap antics on the halfway line for sure didnt help our GD. In hindsight maybe we should have played passy passy to defend a 2-1
At the outset Ange has said he's not going to change his system.

I guess the thinking here was that if we pushed 10-20 metres further back we'd end up playing the way Liverpool did against us when they were down to 9 men and we'd have no out ball for Son and no chancing of scoring.

He obviously believed that we could still score and wanted to give us a platform for doing so. And it nearly worked.

It's a matter of choice whether you think it was the right call in the circumstances. The crowd seemed to think so. I can't remember the last time they gave such great vocal support to the team when they were staring down the barrel.

Last edited:
Not only did Romero 'win the ball' he kicked it away in clearance, and on the follow-thru the Chelsea player stepped in front of him. I challenge ANY human being to stop the forward travel of his leg in that situation. That's not a red card, that's not even a yellow. Ive dared anyone to school me with with an explanation in the VAR thread... Have at it.

The offside on Son was also suspicious. Until they have 120 cameras lining the sides, there's no angle that will be accurate. Relying on VAR to make a choice without a straight line is ludicrous. They replayed Son's position over and again, but with their poor frame rate, when Johsnson actually kicked the ball is equally inportance, and we see nothing of that frame choice. Ive said many time, Son can move more than 3 meters, in one frame.

also, if anyone doesnt think Reece James elbowed Udogg in the face on purpose, youre stoopid. It was an obvious intentional act.

What a joke.

Cant imagine how any true Spurs fan could be at all upset about how our players got on in this game. Ive been waiting 3 YEARS to see this kind of grit & ballz from a Spurs squad under duress. Good on ya lads, and I hope for more of it.

The entire squad of Prem refs are fuken embarrassing. The degradation in quality so quickly is astonishing. Feels like a temporary suspension of the VAR system is in order. They are affecting the results in improper ways, in multiple games per week.

Not a big loss, stuck our table place, and historically not a real points getter.

Helluva a learning & bonding game for the squad, and I guarantee we pull a win or two out this season because of this experience.

And......

I admit, Im done w the guy, and want him gone...... But..... Eric Dier was a monster in the time he got today. If he concentrates on his job, and stops trying to be a Captain, he may well have something more to say before he moves on. Its not at all easy to sit and not play, and then come on and be immense, so props to him for that. Just hope we dont have to count on him too long, as there's a blunder in there waiting to happen.

Super entertaining tho, and gotta respect Ange for sticking with his style, and going for it to the end.

COYS!

Winning the ball is irrelevant with a tackle like that.

Hundreds of footballers manage to do it most weeks, he was hyped up from the previous 5 minutes.

It was dangerous, out of control and a deserved red.