MATCH THREAD TOTTENHAM v Chelsea Monday 6 th November 20-00 kick off | Page 20 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD TOTTENHAM v Chelsea Monday 6 th November 20-00 kick off

I don’t disagree with the red. However, if my memory serves me correctly, I think he would not have been so agitated if the referee had stopped the play and given a foul in his favour midway in the Chelsea half just slightly earlier. I’m sure that’s what triggered the reaction in a typical Argentinian manner I’m afraid.
But he eased his agitation by kicking out at the player at the time, I think it was Colwill. That should have been the end of it, but instead he pushes the boundaries again. The guy is a nut job.

What worried and upset me so much last night was how easily we lost our composure and how easily that loss escalated into indiscipline. Confidence is such a fickle thing and easily eroded when leaders fail to lead. So much effort in high tempo pressing needs trust to maintain that investment.

I don’t disagree with the red. However, if my memory serves me correctly, I think he would not have been so agitated if the referee had stopped the play and given a foul in his favour midway in the Chelsea half just slightly earlier. I’m sure that’s what triggered the reaction in a typical Argentinian manner I’m afraid.

Oliver, for a good 5 minutes, ignored every foul Chelsea committed on us. It agitated multiple players on our team, not just Romero. It isn't an excuse for Romero getting himself sent off, but its another example of a ref (Oliver is often very guilty of it) not controlling the temperature of the match like he should be doing.

James and Colwill were both as amped up as Romero and both did things that could have got them sent off. If it wasn't for Emerson doing the refs job, I think Colwill would have been. There is no question in my mind that James should have walked. It could have been 9v9 for the whole second half and that, like the Battle of the Bridge, was down to ref incompetency. They should be controlling the temperature in games, not standing to the side and letting them boil over.

This team and Ange will learn from this. Onwards we go!

Back in the day it would have simply been a fifty/fifty ball, with no blame attached to the after effects. Both players were focused on the ball and there was no evil intent by either of them.

Oliver, for a good 5 minutes, ignored every foul Chelsea committed on us. It agitated multiple players on our team, not just Romero. It isn't an excuse for Romero getting himself sent off, but its another example of a ref (Oliver is often very guilty of it) not controlling the temperature of the match like he should be doing.

James and Colwill were both as amped up as Romero and both did things that could have got them sent off. If it wasn't for Emerson doing the refs job, I think Colwill would have been. There is no question in my mind that James should have walked. It could have been 9v9 for the whole second half and that, like the Battle of the Bridge, was down to ref incompetency. They should be controlling the temperature in games, not standing to the side and letting them boil over.

This team and Ange will learn from this. Onwards we go!

Yes, he did but we have to live with that as Ange said. However, Romero should not have been sent off.

I agree he's an accident waiting to happen and will cost us far too often.

I'm still not convinced that follow through could be helped or was deliberate, the slow mo shows he turns away with his eyes closed.

Is it just because he connected with the player? Them tackles happen 5 times every game.
Nah. The natural follow through from his kick of the ball would not have landed all his studs on his shin. He actually adjusted his foot and gave it a little extra force for good measure.

Nah. The natural follow through from his kick of the ball would not have landed all his studs on his shin. He actually adjusted his foot and gave it a little extra force for good measure.

Yellow....maybe....but ball first is not a red. He did not go over the ball.

Anyway, we face adversity. The pressure of being undefeated is relieved.

Time to get back at it. We only have 3 games in November....2 left.

I might get abuse for this, but none of what has happened would have happened if Oliver had protected our players from Chelsea players going through the back of them 4 or 5 times with no foul. That always raises a teams temperature and it's needless. I'm not excusing what Romero did (despite thinking it was two yellows rather than no yellow and a red).

James should be off though. Straight red. Oliver and VAR failed. Son's goal was onside too.
Spot bollock there Matic, got there before me, we was robbed by MO the twat and his VAR team, I would go as far as to say it was revenge for Klippity's rant.

Yes, he did but we have to live with that as Ange said. However, Romero should not have been sent off.

I don't think his red was a red, but an orange at most. He was lucky not to get a yellow for his petulance a bit earlier though with the kick out... so it's one of those things that probably ended up as it should have been.

We do have to live with it, and Ange is right that VAR is eroding the authority of refs in a weird, gradual way. What it shouldn't mean is we continue to see such poor performances from referees and force managers to protect them.

The Romero red.....

I was a defender making tackles like that every single game. My take on it is that Romero went into a challenge that initially looked 50/50. In a 50/50 challenge you do not hold anything back. Were we not always taught that if you go in less than 100% you are likely to be injured? So he has gone into a 50/50 challenge correctly. HOWEVER the opposition player is slower than Romero and it then becomes more like 60/40. OK nothing wrong with that. Romero does go in with huge force but there is nothing in the rules stating that he isnt allowed to do that. He connects with the ball first AND he connects with the ball CORRECTLY. He does not skim the ball and go over it like Jones did against us. He does not miss the ball and go straight into the player. He connects with the ball, achieves his goal of beating the Chelsea player in a tackle and a collision occurs. Unfortunately for the Chelsea player the impact is a painful one. Lets put it another way, if the chelsea player had been a fraction of a second quicker to the ball it would have been two players impacting at exactly the same time and there would have been zero incident. HOW CAN ROMERO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THE OTHER PLAYER BEING SLIGHTLY SLOWER THAN HIM TO THE BALL? The only thing Romero did wrong was his body position. Its been discussed earlier but simple coaching for defenders is stay on your fee. That would have had us with 11 players on the pitch. James elbow was more of a red card than Romeros. I have zero complaints with Udogies red card.

And there is another demonstration of how FIFA and IFAB have ruined football.

How can Jackson in an offside position not be impacting play when he gets a 5 yard advantage and scores the goal.

They should all be taken outside and shot.

RIP football.
Thought I was the only one who saw that, said the same to Mrs PY, surely Jackson was in an off side position when the original ball was played, I/we obviously don't know the rules.

That whole scenario allows for a striker to stay well up the field, behind the defence, without him being offside, doh!

Thought I was the only one who saw that, said the same to Mrs PY, surely Jackson was in an off side position when the original ball was played, I/we obviously don't know the rules.

That whole scenario allows for a striker to stay well up the field, behind the defence, without him being offside, doh!

And there is another demonstration of how FIFA and IFAB have ruined football.

How can Jackson in an offside position not be impacting play when he gets a 5 yard advantage and scores the goal.

They should all be taken outside and shot.

RIP football.

It happened TWICE.

Chelsea should be embarrassed. With 9 we have made them look bang average.
Lets be honest ere if some hadn't lost it we were a way better side than them Chav Twats, I honestly feel there was sayings and going on's on the pitch by the Chavs that we didn't see or hear, and as I said some lost it/fell for it.

It was discussed last night and pointed out that strikers are doing it on purpose knowing that if it goes to plan they have 2 yards on the defender.

TBH if you look at some of our free kicks later in the game Son is doing the same thing. Everyone lines up on edge of box but son stay 5 yards further forward offside. But he isnt the intended recipient. He is waiting for the next phase of play where he is onside but has 2 yards advantage on the defender by the time he gets back. Its like F1 manipulating the rules with bendy spoilers :-)