Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City

Well indeed. Sunderland deserved the win based on the audio feed. Far better second half from us so some positives although Sunderland changed down a few gears second half.
Can't hide from the poor goals conceded though first half

We really did shoot ourselves in the foot with those crazy first half goals. At least we won the second half. Need to work on hoofing away on the training ground me thinks. Role on next week and Shrewsburyl. UTI

Ten minutes of madness have cost us this match. Other than that, not a lot to complain about.

Well, I'm not sure I can agree with that. The first half was desperately poor and even though we gifted Sunderland at least two of their goals the half time score was a fair enough reflection of the game.

If you play that badly you can't expect to be in contention.

The second half was much better and Akinde did well, within his usual limitations, but Sunderland had also gone into hibernation mode so it was all a bit hollow.

Still, at least the game ended reasonably positively.

No need to panic, this probably tells the manager a lot more about the squad - it certainly did for me anyway.

Onwards and upwards.

definitely took their foot off. let us have the ball a bit. game was over at half time. the current away game pattern - which needs to be broken.

faffing around with the ball in your own box is for premier league defenders, and ball-playing premier league keepers. and premier league grass. it is obvious ours are not comfortable doing it, so why force it upon them. appleton needs to wait until he has the keeper and centre backs for that, if he insists on introducing that way of play.

definitely took their foot off. let us have the ball a bit. game was over at half time. the current away game pattern - which needs to be broken.

faffing around with the ball in your own box is for premier league defenders, and ball-playing premier league keepers. and premier league grass. it is obvious ours are not comfortable doing it, so why force it upon them. appleton needs to wait until he has the keeper and centre backs for that, if he insists on introducing that way of play.

I'm going to be super-positive here :)

In Guardiola's first season at Man City he was getting pelters for allowing the keeper to play out from the back and trying a style of play that looked like it wasn't working.

More in hope than expectation I said to my Man City supporting cousin that it would be because he knew which players would be going in the summer and he wanted the rest of them fully up to speed with his way of playing.

He then signed a new keeper and two full backs and the rest is history.

Appleton. The League 1 Guardiola.

Well, I'm not sure I can agree with that. The first half was desperately poor and even though we gifted Sunderland at least two of their goals the half time score was a fair enough reflection of the game.

If you play that badly you can't expect to be in contention.

Same as at Cov and Oxford, didn't get near them in the first 45 mins .... 10 defeats in 14 away speaks volumes.

Thankfully we look a completely different side at home.

Still need to balance the playing out from the back with just a hoof to the centre of the pitch which also gifts possession back. The only benefit of a kick out is that the opposition has further to go to get a shot away.
Vickers did seem to be trying to throw the ball out to Toffolo and Eardley in the 2nd halves of both recent home games so perhaps this should be the tactic better employed

In Guardiola's first season at Man City he was getting pelters for allowing the keeper to play out from the back and trying a style of play that looked like it wasn't working.

More in hope than expectation I said to my Man City supporting cousin that it would be because he knew which players would be going in the summer and he wanted the rest of them fully up to speed with his way of playing.

Errr, as an @Etihad season ticket holder I assure you that they still give me kittens doing it and we are regularly punished.

Would be nice. Just need to scrape together about £100 million for an Ederson and Laporte for that to work properly