Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City

I'm going to be super-positive here :)

In Guardiola's first season at Man City he was getting pelters for allowing the keeper to play out from the back and trying a style of play that looked like it wasn't working.

More in hope than expectation I said to my Man City supporting cousin that it would be because he knew which players would be going in the summer and he wanted the rest of them fully up to speed with his way of playing.

He then signed a new keeper and two full backs and the rest is history.

Appleton. The League 1 Guardiola.
are we going to be able to afford guardiola-level players to implement it successfully? it feels like a tactic that is set up to expose the current players' frailties. and doomed to fail each week.

Anyway..........put this behind us. Been a tough set of fixtures of late and we've come out of it with 6 points which is more than many thought, even those of us living in our own rose tinted worlds.
Plenty of winnable games coming up especially at fortress Sincil Bank ( can't call it by the other name yet). Plenty of reasons to be cheerful

Laporte would match the profile of some of DC's recruitment, wonder if MA is equally willing to gamble and take him on the cheap?

Not read the thread or know how the goals came about so this might be a little unfair but going to Sunderland with Grant and Morrell as your two CM's did seem a little too attacking and very much a case of trying to run before you can walk!

I'd have thought today would have been a good game for MoC to sit in and offer options into midfield. We've known since the season started that our strongest CM partnership is him and Morrell.

Not read the thread or know how the goals came about so this might be a little unfair but going to Sunderland with Grant and Morrell as your two CM's did seem a little too attacking and very much a case of trying to run before you can walk!

I'd have thought today would have been a good game for MoC to sit in and offer options into midfield. We've known since the season started that our strongest CM partnership is him and Morrell.

By the sounds of it next Christmas just came early !

I have been a big defender of the inclusion of Grant as I think he's our most creative player, and I think he should be in the middle rather than wide.

But... I don't like the idea of him playing in the centre when there's only 4 in midfield.

At least not if we're going to play two of those so wide. If those four were narrow (like Atletico Madrid used to play, with the full backs providing all the width) you'd get away with it, but in the way we are set up it's open in the centre even with two combative players.

He should be in the position where Payne and Hesketh have been this season.

The goals had nothing to do with our midfield. The overall balance of play probably did.

Kind of us to gift Sunderland three points on the day we wear our charity kit.

Ultimately the game was over after 30 minutes after a series of woeful defending. At that point my feelings were what a wasted day. To be honest, I was furious. Thankfully we improved significantly in the second half, but it's difficult to know how much that was down to Sunderland taking thier foot off the gas. Sunderland were the better team,not by much, but deserved the win. You can't play like we did in the first 30 minutes and expect anything from the game. I appreciate that Appleton wants to play out from the back, however we don't have the personnel. How many more games are we going to throw away a goal? I'm not saying this style won't work, but we need to get the right players in (which won't be easy!)

Pretty pleased with the second half performance. Had Akinde scored his good chance early on, it could have been very different. Unfortunately the players were running on empty when we did score. From about 75 minutes onwards Sunderland were comfortable. They created little, but didn't need to. What I would say is, there were a lot of simple mistakes today like miss placed passes and a lot of poorly hit shots. Also, very disappointed with the atmosphere. Expected a lot from the home fans, but they were very quite, half of them left before the final Whistle!

So continues our shambolic away form, but as long as we get points at home we'll be fine.

Kind of us to gift Sunderland three points on the day we wear our charity kit.

Ultimately the game was over after 30 minutes after a series of woeful defending. At that point my feelings were what a wasted day. To be honest, I was furious. Thankfully we improved significantly in the second half, but it's difficult to know how much that was down to Sunderland taking thier foot off the gas. Sunderland were the better team,not by much, but deserved the win. You can't play like we did in the first 30 minutes and expect anything from the game. I appreciate that Appleton wants to play out from the back, however we don't have the personnel. How many more games are we going to throw away a goal? I'm not saying this style won't work, but we need to get the right players in (which won't be easy!)

Pretty pleased with the second half performance. Had Akinde scored his good chance early on, it could have been very different. Unfortunately the players were running on empty when we did score. From about 75 minutes onwards Sunderland were comfortable. They created little, but didn't need to. What I would say is, there were a lot of simple mistakes today like miss placed passes and a lot of poorly hit shots. Also, very disappointed with the atmosphere. Expected a lot from the home fans, but they were very quite, half of them left before the final Whistle!

So continues our shambolic away form, but as long as we get points at home we'll be fine.
At least we're at home nex...oh no, away again! :lol:

Just got back.
Not much to say really, Sunderland's goals 2 and 3 were the other side of inept, you'd be embarrassed to concede them in park football. They actually made goal # 1 look ok, when in reality it was a very poor one in itself.
Other than that we were ok second half when they sat on the lead, and TBH Sunderland weren't that hot themselves. Cut out the mistakes we could easily have got a draw.
Not sure how Akinde didn't get a shot away straight after HT, it looked easier to score (although we were about half a mile away). However, we had much more threat overall when he was on the pitch.
I think given time MA will mould a very good side, but we need to reduce the risk by ending the pratting around at the back.

Don't think that was the problem tbh. We used the ball relatively well and imo we'd have picked up a point without two really bad mistakes. Conceded from twatting about at the back, ducking a long ball and a set piece. Our midfield two could be anyone.

I would say though that if the last two games were the best of Appleton the first half was maybe the worst? A little bit dogmatic if you've started like that, just try and get a bit of territory and earn the right to play rather than upping the mucking about at the back ante.

We keep gifting sides goals, haven’t we given the ball away at the back leading to at least one goal in the last three games?

Just got back.
Not much to say really, Sunderland's goals 2 and 3 were the other side of inept, you'd be embarrassed to concede them in park football. They actually made goal # 1 look ok, when in reality it was a very poor one in itself.
Other than that we were ok second half when they sat on the lead, and TBH Sunderland weren't that hot themselves. Cut out the mistakes we could easily have got a draw.
Not sure how Akinde didn't get a shot away straight after HT, it looked easier to score (although we were about half a mile away). However, we had much more threat overall when he was on the pitch.
I think given time MA will mould a very good side, but we need to reduce the risk by ending the pratting around at the back.
My brother in law is Sunderland ST holder and said exactly the same, his side were not great but we defended like a pub team for 30 mins. Bolger must be spitting feathers at being left out, Shacks has been good for us but IMHO is past his sell by date. We need another O' Connor in midfield as we are much better when's he is fit and playing. But........a decent return over the Xmas period.UTI

A quick summary of season to date. Home = very good, away = not very good. Nothing new.

0401_Results.jpg

A quick summary of matches left. We have the joint most home matches left. We have the least number of away matches left which also average out as the easiest away fixtures compared to all other teams. Obviously the fact we don't bother playing away makes that irrelevant.

0401_Home_Away.jpg