Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City

I thought we started the game really well. Then I realised we weren’t the team playing in red & white. Apart from that nothing to say

I thought we started the game really well. Then I realised we weren’t the team playing in red & white. Apart from that nothing to say
True. Until the first goal there was little in it but by the second one we seemed overawed with the occasion. Much better 2nd half but too little too late.
On to next week and we go again. UTI!

On the train back to Newark
Simple mistakes cost us dearly and at time looked worrying
Shackell wasn’t good enough first half which was with a number of below par performances
Both Harry’s and Jack P looked well short of expectations
Apart from the football a good day out
I looked at MApp in that first half and worried for those at half time as he was about to burst.
6 points from Ipswich Pboro and Sunderland is a very good return so I’ll keep things positive
We’re never that good when we win and never that crap when we lose as someone once said
Uti

The question should be why was a winning team changed.
The first 4 games of the season we won with Bossie & Bolger until DC changed it on the 5th game to Bossie & Shackell
We win our last 2 games with Bossie & Bolger then change it to Bossie & Shackell & lose.
Why change it.

The first 4 games of the season we won with Bossie & Bolger until DC changed it on the 5th game to Bossie & Shackell
We win our last 2 games with Bossie & Bolger then change it to Bossie & Shackell & lose.
Why change it.

Hindsight is a great piece of kit but you have to take into account the fact we've had 5 tough games in two weeks and 3 quite intensive ones in 6 days. MA sees players close up every day and knows when a rest is needed. I think it's certainly helped Walker being rested in early December with his goal tally since so there's often more to it than just keep running players into the ground

See my thread what 3 things did we learn from Peterborough - dont bring Shackell back in to the team. Having said that he was not the only poor performance today .

Hindsight is a great piece of kit but you have to take into account the fact we've had 5 tough games in two weeks and 3 quite intensive ones in 6 days. MA sees players close up every day and knows when a rest is needed. I think it's certainly helped Walker being rested in early December with his goal tally since so there's often more to it than just keep running players into the ground

Hi sedgleyimp
But after Bossie went off Bolger came on & had a good game & looked fit & all the rest played except for O'Connor.
But we do have to have a serious look at the playing from the back system as we haven't got the players confident enough to do that.
I think that now we have given away 4 goals in the last 3 games doing it.

Would be nice. Just need to scrape together about £100 million for an Ederson and Laporte for that to work properly
Was going to say the same, if only we had a quarter billion pounds for a new back 4.
We aren't anywhere near good enough to do it and should stop until we are!

I have been a big defender of the inclusion of Grant as I think he's our most creative player, and I think he should be in the middle rather than wide.

But... I don't like the idea of him playing in the centre when there's only 4 in midfield.

At least not if we're going to play two of those so wide. If those four were narrow (like Atletico Madrid used to play, with the full backs providing all the width) you'd get away with it, but in the way we are set up it's open in the centre even with two combative players.

He should be in the position where Payne and Hesketh have been this season.

The goals had nothing to do with our midfield. The overall balance of play probably did.
Balance of play, probably. Our unrivalled ability to shoot ourselves in the foot, certainly. Same things expecting different results and all that.
The calamitous goal today, was a whole new level of ridiculous. Every schoolboy knows not to play a square ball across the box, they definitely know not to do it with centre forwards not many yards from them and their own goal. :arrghh::arrghh:

Last edited:
Well, we're back home. My youngster enjoyed it, didn't stop urging us on until the final whistle and loved the goal. He's a good lad.

As for their goals, at least two were gifted but that's the way sometimes. To look back on two LEAGUE games against Sunderland and have honours even is pretty good.

We gave a lift to a work colleague who has a ST, and he says that he and a good few around him were as surprised as the Imps fans when O'Nien committed a foul and grabbed the ball - and only received a yellow.

Onwards to the next match - and I'll let my voice recover...

Come on you Imps!!!!!!©

I am sure we are now operating in modern football and we are playing in the sophisticated league 1 where even the kit man can do 100 sit-ups and a bicycle kick from the half way line but call me old fashioned - why the feck do we play about at the back. We need to sign grant brown 2020 ASAP

Why change it.

indeed said exactly the same

Well, we're back home. My youngster enjoyed it, didn't stop urging us on until the final whistle and loved the goal. He's a good lad.

As for their goals, at least two were gifted but that's the way sometimes. To look back on two LEAGUE games against Sunderland and have honours even is pretty good.

We gave a lift to a work colleague who has a ST, and he says that he and a good few around him were as surprised as the Imps fans when O'Nien committed a foul and grabbed the ball - and only received a yellow.

Onwards to the next match - and I'll let my voice recover...

Come on you Imps!!!!!!©
I believe we win on away goals.

Hi sedgleyimp
But after Bossie went off Bolger came on & had a good game & looked fit & all the rest played except for O'Connor.
But we do have to have a serious look at the playing from the back system as we haven't got the players confident enough to do that.
I think that now we have given away 4 goals in the last 3 games doing it.

I agree that Bolger is very unfortunate to be the one who seems to miss out every time either of the other two return from a period out. Occasional lapse usually as a result of the play it out from the back tactics aside he gets on with his job pretty well on the whole. It could also be said that Shackell needed some game time after getting injured at Burton and things like that need factoring in.

Either way done now and with a full week before the next match hopefully we can iron out the tactics and rustiness.

Not sure about ironing out the rustiness and learning from mistakes, making the same balls ups by trying to play out from the back and conceding goals should be stopped as soon as it happens more than once. There is a time for playing, and a time for a Nat Brown.

Not sure about ironing out the rustiness and learning from mistakes, making the same balls ups by trying to play out from the back and conceding goals should be stopped as soon as it happens more than once. There is a time for playing, and a time for a Nat Brown.

A wrist bandage?

The spine of the team needs attention asap - Vickers - Shackell - Akinde = not good enough - these are 3 of the areas that need attention - and for gods sake stop trying the Barcelona approach at the back from dead ball positions - if we had a centre forward who could hold the ball up and lay it off for other players that would be a good start.

The spine of the team needs attention asap - Vickers - Shackell - Akinde = not good enough - these are 3 of the areas that need attention - and for gods sake stop trying the Barcelona approach at the back from dead ball positions - if we had a centre forward who could hold the ball up and lay it off for other players that would be a good start.

I think Akinde is good enough he needs confidence but he has physical presence only a few of squad have!

i agree shackle is past it and Vickers not up to it. We need a 30 something too end keeper who has a free Saturday afternoon.

Akinde isn't good enough.

If only we could have a striker who can hold the ball up and lay it off.

Wat. Only have to watch five mins of the second half to see how good John is at that part of the game..