Match Thread: Southampton v Lincoln City | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Southampton v Lincoln City

After watching the highlights the decisions on the first goal, a clear offside and the handball penalty were two significant errors on behalf of the match officials. It is unfortunate but that is the way some games go.

Back home and will catch up with stuff in the morning as it's been an enjoyable but long day.

Quick thoughts before crashing into slumberland...a day and game I really enjoyed despite the result. We played really well and every player left that pitch with their heads held high playing as equals with players who earn as much in a week as our whole squad do in a month.

A few points which I'm sure have been debated...

1. Adams equaliser looked suspiciously offside though my vantage point behind the goal couldn't really be 100% certain as he is a quick and clever player so a further view of that might be needed

2. The handball in the area when Poole's header hit their defender's extended arm has been given on every occasion in the recent World Cup.

3. Charles Vernam, a player who I haven't been hugely impressed with since his arrival had a great game tonight. He seemed to have picked up an extra yard or two of pace. Keep that up please.

Overall a good game with us putting up a terrific performance and being outdone by some dodgy decisions.

That said, I’m still pissed off with both decisions that have likely affected the result but I’m not one for hard luck stories and I still don’t like bloody losing. It’s of little solace to me that we were done by two officiating decisions. I’m immensely proud of the performance but our overall quality wasn’t good enough to put away the chances we had. That’s the difference between teams divisions apart. They had a bad night but got it done under the rules of the competition
I think we all agree we haven’t got the quality we had 2 seasons ago but we seem to have hit on a way of playing that can suit us and be adaptable to be more attacking or defensive depending on the situation. Thinking about the quality I think it was a game that would have suited Jack Diamond, so a shame he was rather daftly cup tied by Sunderland ( I’m sure he’s wishing he wasn’t).
I will be interested to see if VAR is in operation at Man U or C this week.
Small consolation managed to get onto Look North

Just watched the whole game on I-Follow.
First a grumble - NOT IMPRESSED WITH Foxtel/beIN Sports. They scheduled it (not live) at 11:50am today (Wednesday). I had it on record but when I put the TV on five minutes before the game it was already just into the start of the second half with the score at 1-1. I had deliberately steered clear of social media, the club website, I-Follow, etc, because I didn’t want to know the score. There was scheduled to be a 30 minute interview with Tim Cahill before the Imps game - that didn’t happen because they were showing the Southampton v Lincoln game early 😡🤬😡🤬 Bloody amateurs. I’ve written and complained and told FOXTEL I’m cancelling my account as I’m fed up with it in so many ways. Steaming services are better and cheaper.
Second, the game. Brilliant showing from the team 👏👏. OK, Southampton hadn’t played for a few weeks so may have been a bit lacking in match fitness, but they we’re still a FULL STRENGTH Premiership side, & showed it in the second half. We we’re perhaps slightly fortunate to take the lead after only 2 minutes (thank you ref) but it made a real game of it. From then on the lads battled for everything and could have even had a second with a couple of chances. The Southampton equaliser was offside and clearly the lino was not up with play. All credit to the lads they carried on battling and at times matched their illustrious opponents. Scrappy winner from Southampton but you can’t do much in a ‘pinball’ situation. So hard to pick a MoM as Sanders, Virtue, House, Poole, Jackson and Vernam marginally shaded it from the rest of the team.
Bit disappointed with Che Adams - good footballer but he’s one of those who spends all his time shoving defenders in the back and clipping their ankles as they go past. Such is the life of a Premiership player, obviously 🤫🤔. Hopefully we’ve made a bit from the game to add to our Papa John’s war chest. Hopefully it’ll give MK and JG some money to spend in January.
Great effort by the 1,500 travelling Imps fans - sang their hearts out for the whole game - superb 👏👏
Onwards to Burton on Boxing Day.
Up the Imps 👏👏👏

This competition is far from a moneyspinner so it probably didn’t cost us a fortune. However it is concerning not just how many obvious errors are made by the officials but also why tight decisions always go in favour of the bigger club. I’m not suggesting fraud, but I think there is an element of weaker referees wanting to avoid being under the spotlight in the event of a controversial giant killing
I actually thought the ref had a decent game, even over-ruled the lino and gave our goal. I think it was the linos that had a poor game rather than the ref, from what I saw on I-follow

I wouldn't either. But the ref should not need VAR to make that handball decision tonight. He had a great view. I can only think that he thought it would be harsh as it was accidental, but that's not the rule.
Evidence by the World Cup and Jamie Robson’s ‘handball’ recently. Not a heap of difference.

If Roughan's arm is classed within the laws as capable of keeping an opponent onside, Adams is off by half his body. If the arm doesn't count then it is the Roughan/O'Connor shoulders and he is off by his whole body.

Edit - And the lino needs to be another couple of paces to his right so his view of Adams isn't blocked by the 'traffic' caused by him being behind play.

Proud of the team and the supporters , we created a great atmosphere. We also played some lively football at times. Done by a couple of poor decisions but it wasn't to be our night.

Got back to south wales a couple of hours ago after staying over in the nearest premier inn with some fellow imps. Great match and our supporters were non stop chanting - man of the match goes all of them. Southampton will get relegated on that performance. Lino was shit particularly with the 2 handed shove by their player on ours near the end and right in front of him when every man and his dog saw it apart from him - wazzock. Laughed my arse off when they missed those 2 sitters toward the end of the game - as we sang to their fans ‘you’re f ‘ing sh*t. Imps 4ever 👍

If Roughan's arm is classed within the laws as capable of keeping an opponent onside, Adams is off by half his body. If the arm doesn't count then it is the Roughan/O'Connor shoulders and he is off by his whole body.

Edit - And the lino needs to be another couple of paces to his right so his view of Adams isn't blocked by the 'traffic' caused by him being behind play.

I think that lino is a her and not a him but that makes no odds, it's a piss poor decision.

The lino is inline with our defenders and if that first Southampton player isn't there who is blocking the view along the line then it would of been an easy call cos Adams is very clearly offside.

The penalty decision is worse because it was only metres away from the lino and the ref. You could hear the massive shout of handball from the stands, everybody saw it, it was as clear as day. Look at the Southampton defenders face, he knows its handball.

Natalie Aspinall did Southampton's defensive line first half and our defensive line second half.

Neil Davies was the one with the errors.

To be honest I don't give a shit if it was pinky running one line and perky the other, they shouldn't have been awarded the equaliser and we should have had a clear and obvious penalty given away by a player who had his arm in an unnatural position, and the player new it... Pity the two officials didn't.

To be honest I don't give a shit if it was pinky running one line and perky the other, they shouldn't have been awarded the equaliser and we should have had a clear and obvious penalty given away by a player who had his arm in an unnatural position, and the player new it... Pity the two officials didn't.

... and yet you felt the need to bring gender into it on your previous post but you 'don't give a shit'. It added nothing to your comment but you are aware of that.

It was offside and it was a penalty. We will both agree on that.

Natalie Aspinall did Southampton's defensive line first half and our defensive line second half.

Neil Davies was the one with the errors.
It was Natalie who flagged for offside against OConnor for our goal even though Maitland-Niles was the player who sliced it towards his own goal. The ref looked at her, shook his head and ignored her flag. Both assistants had pretty forgettable games with major mistakes. The ref was ok apart from he should have seen the handball as well as the assistant.

I think those kinds of offsides you really expect officials to get and not need VAR. Understand them not getting tiny ones where a nose is offside but those ones, especially when it's a position where they're likely to put the ball into the box, seem a bit unforgiveable.

In effect just got back home. Will post more tomorrow as I'm almost straight out again. However just wanted to say how proud I was of the teams performance . Went toe to toe with a full strength premier league team away from home and matched them with spirit and passion. Yes there was a gulf in class but my god we made them fight hard for their victory. We could not ask for more. Controversy can wait until tomorrow.