Match Thread: Southampton v Lincoln City | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Southampton v Lincoln City

It is all about spirit and fight both Grimsby and Sheffield United had it in spades tonight some of these young Premier League players lack it they maybe technically very good but some of these Under 23 games are like training sessions.

It is all about spirit and fight both Grimsby and Sheffield United had it in spades tonight some of these young Premier League players lack it they maybe technically very good but some of these Under 23 games are like training sessions.
Southampton with 9 changes you just knew the Fish were in with a chance and netted even more money ! Southampton v Leicester at the weekend is much more important to them. Typical Cup tie where so called 'bigger' Clubs underestimate the lower League opposition and continue to do so. Chippenham Town anyone ?!
UTI.

Southampton with 9 changes you just knew the Fish were in with a chance and netted even more money ! Southampton v Leicester at the weekend is much more important to them. Typical Cup tie where so called 'bigger' Clubs underestimate the lower League opposition and continue to do so. Chippenham Town anyone ?!
UTI.

we didn’t underestimate them we were just crap that day.

That's why the EPL always want to have B teams in the lower leagues.
Southampton were absolute dogshit, it felt like a mid table lower league game. However it's really galling that VAR played such a big role in the game when we were deprived of it in our League Cup game there. It should either be used 100% across the FA Cup competition or not at all, not just at EPL grounds, OR, if it can be used at EPL grounds in the FA Cup why not in the League Cup?
Grimsby's second penalty, however, was unbelievably unprofessional and a once in a generation 'gimme'.
PS Just so I don't sound too churlish - well played Grimsby!

very enjoyable watch . though Grimsby played well , closed the saints down in the final minutes . game sorted . Although had the game played out the same way at Grimsby it would or could have been different with no VAR available . Believe they are the first team to reach the quarter finals with 5 wins against teams above them in the leagues. congrats .

Good luck to them against Brighton , great place to go for a weekend .

very enjoyable watch . though Grimsby played well , closed the saints down in the final minutes . game sorted . Although had the game played out the same way at Grimsby it would or could have been different with no VAR available . Believe they are the first team to reach the quarter finals with 5 wins against teams above them in the leagues. congrats .

Good luck to them against Brighton , great place to go for a weekend .
Good luck but to Brighton it is from me..

Last edited:
I get that we all want us to be the highest placed team in the County. And whenever we play Grimsby, Scunthorpe or Boston Utd I always want us to win.
But having previously been involved in local football as a player, manager and general dogsbody at children's and adult levels any success that any lincolnshire teams achieve should be applauded.
We are the second biggest County in the Country but are treated by the FA and football authorities as a footballing backwater. We have some fantastic people running kids teams in the county. But the funding we get is some of the lowest in the Country. Any success by teams associated with Lincolnshire has to be good news. So good luck to Grimsby. And I hope both Scunthorpe and Boston avoid relegation.
I know some of you may say some of there fans despise us but sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture.

,,And whenever we play Grimsby, Scunthorpe or Boston Utd I always want us to win"
If you weren't I would worry you're on the wrong forum lol

As for cods I can't care less about them, their achievements and their problems.

I'd rather be playing and competing against (and beating) the Cods, Scunny and even Notts County in L1 than distant vanity project clubs like bloody Fleetwood, Forest Green, or Salford.

Miss a decent derby.

I have to say I had to go do something else when Look North came on last night for the first 10 minutes at least. I'm sure their supporters were doing the same in 2017.
I did note in the week was reported their new owners invested £1.5m to get them promoted from the NL. They'll no doubt get a boost from this run (like we did)

I did note in the week was reported their new owners invested £1.5m to get them promoted from the NL. They'll no doubt get a boost from this run (like we did)

It will take massive amounts of money to bring that club into the 21st century infrastructure wise.

Anybody who has ever been to Blunder Park knows what the parking situation is like.
The ground is the most antiquated in the football league. The main stand is built with no footings and is wooden, how its still standing god knows. It's rusting everywhere else around the ground and just a very unpleasant experience as an away fan never mind having to go there every other week as a home fan!

The training ground, at the aptly named Cheapside, is a series of potacabins so this is one area they may choose to improve with the cup money as we did but their plans for a new community stadium for which they have been looking at at least 4 different sites for over a number of years and one of which is off the A180 but literally in the absolute middle of nowhere on the Europark.

It's going to take at least 20 odd million just to build themselves just the basic lego ground but there is nothing on the horizon and the lack of investment from the previous Fenty regime into the infrastructure of the club means they have been left decades behind. Without the council or some mega benefactor investing (gifting) millions then they're going to be stuck playing at that hell hole for many years to come....if it doesn't fall down first.

It will take massive amounts of money to bring that club into the 21st century infrastructure wise.

Anybody who has ever been to Blunder Park knows what the parking situation is like.
The ground is the most antiquated in the football league. The main stand is built with no footings and is wooden, how its still standing god knows. It's rusting everywhere else around the ground and just a very unpleasant experience as an away fan never mind having to go there every other week as a home fan!

The training ground, at the aptly named Cheapside, is a series of potacabins so this is one area they may choose to improve with the cup money as we did but their plans for a new community stadium for which they have been looking at at least 4 different sites for over a number of years and one of which is off the A180 but literally in the absolute middle of nowhere on the Europark.

It's going to take at least 20 odd million just to build themselves just the basic lego ground but there is nothing on the horizon and the lack of investment from the previous Fenty regime into the infrastructure of the club means they have been left decades behind. Without the council or some mega benefactor investing (gifting) millions then they're going to be stuck playing at that hell hole for many years to come....if it doesn't fall down first.

at their fans forum, the owners were saying a new proposed training ground would be around £6 million. seems alot. might need a few more FA cup quarter finals