Match Thread: Southampton v Lincoln City | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Southampton v Lincoln City

Well done to the team. After watching quite a bit of the world cup and some of tonight's game, I'm starting to become really frustrated by the standard of officiating. You never know, the decisions tonight could have cost us hundreds of thousands of pounds.

To be fair, I thought the ref did ok tonight.
The penalty call is one of those that might be given 50% of the time, and a frustrating lack of consistency type situation. I suspect it might have been given at the other end
The offside is the more galling. It wasn't a particularly tight call, and the fucking lino got every other one right!!

From in the ground it looked offside and the handball looked clear so pleased to see it confirmed from those watching on video. If I can see why can’t the officials.
But proud of the efforts, gave it a good go at the end and if you ignore the two at the end when we were throwing everything forward they didn’t create much clear cut.
Their fans, well what a bunch of knobs

Well done to the team. After watching quite a bit of the world cup and some of tonight's game, I'm starting to become really frustrated by the standard of officiating. You never know, the decisions tonight could have cost us hundreds of thousands of pounds.
This competition is far from a moneyspinner so it probably didn’t cost us a fortune. However it is concerning not just how many obvious errors are made by the officials but also why tight decisions always go in favour of the bigger club. I’m not suggesting fraud, but I think there is an element of weaker referees wanting to avoid being under the spotlight in the event of a controversial giant killing

The comment earlier about 'elite' (sic) officials being spoiled by VAR is a valid one and sounds like 2 crucial decisions against us tonight which may well have been overturned if the dreaded pitch side monitor was in use. We'd still be playing though! No excuse for the lino not being up with play, he should be banished to the national league and put on a fitness programme.

Football seems to be having a serious problem with the quality of officials at all levels as some at the World Cup were atrocious.

It appeared to be an "easy" game to ref. The crucial decisions in the game were missed, which changed the officiating from good to bad.

This competition is far from a moneyspinner so it probably didn’t cost us a fortune. However it is concerning not just how many obvious errors are made by the officials but also why tight decisions always go in favour of the bigger club. I’m not suggesting fraud, but I think there is an element of weaker referees wanting to avoid being under the spotlight in the event of a controversial giant killing
Probably not, but Liverpool or Man Utd away and we're looking at over £400k surely?

It’s interesting, because I was debating with friends earlier about whether we’d welcome VAR at our level.

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t - but there’s no doubting it would’ve made a difference tonight.

Proud of the team.

Just reflecting if Soton hadn’t changed manager I reckon it might have been different, new manager bounce and I think the crowd could easily have turned.

It’s interesting, because I was debating with friends earlier about whether we’d welcome VAR at our level.

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t - but there’s no doubting it would’ve made a difference tonight.

Proud of the team.

I wouldn't either. But the ref should not need VAR to make that handball decision tonight. He had a great view. I can only think that he thought it would be harsh as it was accidental, but that's not the rule.

I wouldn't either. But the ref should not need VAR to make that handball decision tonight. He had a great view. I can only think that he thought it would be harsh as it was accidental, but that's not the rule.

That’s fair.

I think refs, generally, have been so reliant on VAR that they neglect their usual duties.

But that’s a discussion for a different thread, perhaps…

Only saw the second half after I found a decent stream. Definite handball. With VAR a penalty would have been given. Its a shame Poole himself didn't see it and immediately appeal, as that might have given the ref a lot more to think about.

I didn't think their second goal was offside however, and the last two misses when we were chasing the game will make those Football's Funniest Moments shows for years!

Only saw the second half after I found a decent stream. Definite handball. With VAR a penalty would have been given. Its a shame Poole himself didn't see it and immediately appeal, as that might have given the ref a lot more to think about.

I didn't think their second goal was offside however, and the last two misses when we were chasing the game will make those Football's Funniest Moments shows for years!

It was the first goal that was offside. Don't think anyone has an issue with the second.

If we were to poll before tonight and now whether people were for against VAR, I suspect we’d have two very different sets of results. I’m still in the against camp overall so difficult for me to call out categorically the offside and handball, which would have been ratified in our favour in both cases with video evidence

It was undoubtedly offside, but from the replays I’ve seen, not as clear cut as it appeared live, so the assistant gets some slight forgiveness from me. The handball similarly. With VAR, definite penalty. Without, it goes either way. We live with this if we’re against VAR and equally because it’s not yet a part of the game at our level

That said, I’m still pissed off with both decisions that have likely affected the result but I’m not one for hard luck stories and I still don’t like bloody losing. It’s of little solace to me that we were done by two officiating decisions. I’m immensely proud of the performance but our overall quality wasn’t good enough to put away the chances we had. That’s the difference between teams divisions apart. They had a bad night but got it done under the rules of the competition

There’s hope that we can take from tonight’s performance but it’s generally pretty rare that we can use this as a gauge for future league outings. Anyway, back to the bread and butter, where I expect us to see continued gradual improvement to the end of the season

It was the first goal that was offside. Don't think anyone has an issue with the second.
Yep, just the first goal (was definitely offside), no issue with the second goal (took a fortuitous deflection mind), and as for the penalty, 9/10 times it would be given.