Match Thread: Season Opener - Cardiff at Home | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Season Opener - Cardiff at Home

Having watched the replay Marshall wasn't as bad as I thought for their first goal.
He did well to palm away the first effort but straight to one of their players who should have been picked up by a defender.
Still a poor goal to give away but Marshall not as bad as I thought watching it live.
Thought Evans was MOM for me but decent performances all around with the odd bit of poor play, but it is the first game of the season.
All in all a good game to watch, especially in the second half when we changed tactics to run at them rather than putting crosses in all the time.
They were a big physical side who tried, and succeeded in the first half, to bully us.
Pity about the penalty miss, but Windass made amends for it and as we well know better players than he has missed penalties before now.

Got to disagree with you about Marshall, Kenny. It was a howler for a keeper of his experience. I put it down to it being his first game for us and wanting to play safe. He tried to scoop the ball out when he actually had time to stop it and drop on it. He knew it was the wrong decision as soon as he did it and tried hard to make amends. I actually think the defence let him down a bit and were slow to recover giving Ralls the space to fire in the final shot. Other than that mistake though I thought it was a decent debut.

Warnocks tactic (singular) seemed to be spoil, get away with as much as you can and try and score on the break.

I think this guy is the most over-rated manager in either of the top two leagues.

Has always set his sides up to spoil and out muscle the opposition, so no surprises there for me Oscar. The thing is it works for him and whether you like him or hate him the guy has had success by doing it.

Has always set his sides up to spoil and out muscle the opposition, so no surprises there for me Oscar. The thing is it works for him and whether you like him or hate him the guy has had success by doing it.

I can understand that the premier league, but with parachute money in the Championship I would want to see something better. I see it as a compliment to Latics to be honest. He obviously was bothered about our capabilities .

I can understand that the premier league, but with parachute money in the Championship I would want to see something better. I see it as a compliment to Latics to be honest. He obviously was bothered about our capabilities .

I don't think he is bothered how the other team plays mate, he has always set up to play a physical game, hence Bogles signing, as that is probably the only quality he has.

Very decent opening day, topsy turvy game. Cardiff were typically dogged and are definitely a Warnock team. Ref eventually probably got the decisions right in regards the bookings, though no doubt if we’d made them with another ref away from home we’d have been down to ten. The main protagonists of the game were the two keepers.

Poor from ours for the first goal, should have done far better with the initial effort. Disappointing as it was nigh on his first piece of action. Etheridge departing was a boost as his replacement was shite. He looked in real discomfort when he went down initially.

It was nice not to see the heads drop after the keeping howler and later penalty miss. Unsure why Windass took that pen, garner didn’t look impressed and wouldn’t even engage with him when he did score. No love lost there it seems. However Windass had a decent game overall and his pace caused them no end of problems. If he could be utilised correctly in the team he will be an asset.

Robinson has a good game, byrne less so. Fox’s experience and leadership is crucial I feel in that backline. In midfield we missed Morsy, will be good to get him back. Saw out the game and a good opening three points. Should be more to come too once the new signings get upto speed and we finish the recruitment.

Thank you so much.

Wow, that Evans goal! Reminded me of Sir Andrew Liddell from throw ins, down the side, in front of the West Stand, from where I had my vantage point. The opposition fell for it every time, or simply couldn't stop him. ❤️

I'm gutted that I couldn't go due to my health issues. Would anybody be so kind as to produce player ratings? Thanks.

Brilliant game to watch, some similarites to last season's opener. I was thinking at half time if we lose this game but play the same second half i'll go home happy. As the application, commitment and approach was excellent. Couple mistakes here and
there but overall it was a superb performance.

Some player rating's, which of course is each to their own. Just my view of today's game.

Marshall 7 - 1st goal was poor from the midfield and defence, Marshall has always parried shots that bounce in front of him away from goal. Playing the percentages, our player's allowed them to collect the ball twice far to easily. The positioning and marking in that phase of play was our worst moment in today's game. The 1v1 save was excellent, stood tall making Murphy panic and completely put him off. Commanded the box fairly well and started several counter attack's.

Robinson 7.4 - Was great on the overlap. Evans covered him when he went forward. Final ball let him down today in the final third, but he caused them problems and his positive play increased our momentum in the game.

Fox 7 - Made an error near the edge of our box, but set the tone early with a commanding run and played his usual way.

Dunkley 5 - Awful, doesn't bother marking, lost his man at will. Passes went in behind him with regularity. Consistently pumped the ball long even with acres of space around him.

Byrne 6 - Didn't cause as many problem's going forward as Robinson did, also was lazy on their second goal. Let the player run beyond him, Dunk's came across to cover, causing the other two to follow and sweep across the back four allowing Bogle an easy finish. But he had some difficult situation's on the ball with not too many options, he also did well generally defensively apart from their second goal.

Evans 7.8 - Mentioned this early last season, Evan's is a different animal on the left. His technique is base on curve. Playing on the left open's up many more possibilities to his passing and shooting. Was hitting volley passes on his weak foot under pressure and generally a very good game. Got beat in the build up to their first goal. But almost every player defensively got beat at some point during the game. The cover never arrived on that one occasion.

Mcleod 7.2 - Was comfortable, positioning was good. Always in control of the ball, won a couple 50/50 sliding tackles and generally had a very solid game without excelling.

Jacobs 7.8 - Involved a lot first half, similar to last season's start he did really well today. Wasn't running down the wing too often. Instead he was cutting inside regularly from deep and in the final third. Carried the ball well and i was delighted for him when he scored from Windass's deflected freekick.

Windass 8.6 - Excellent performance, ran the channels and in behind their back four. Was a threat on the counter from Marshall's long throws. Was high up the pitch taking up some dangerous positions. Came deeper in the final third a few times and went past player's with ease and also collected the ball in pockets of space. Not a penalty taker though, he's to emotional for that. Need some one who's calm or composed, he changed his running style which show's he play's in the moment rather than a natural training ground routine.

Pilkington 6.5 - Strange one this, i've forgotten his performance. I remember him being involved quite a bit first half, but i can't remember if he did well or not. Completely forgotten how he did today.

Garner 8 - Superb performance from a player i don't rate. He was one of our key performer's today. If he executed the back heel to Windass slightly better i would have gained even more confidence in him, it was so close to being very good. The amount of wasted long ball's hit from Dunkley he did well to win as many header's as he did in the initial phase of our build up in their half. Wasn't capable of winning any in the box though, but he was bailing us out time and again from the long ball's. Generally held the ball up very well against the odds.

Really enjoyed today. Good thing is that this season we seem to have more attacking options (especially if Moore signs as expected), 4 good options on bench today. Without Massey and Jacobs last season we looked lost. Powell will obviously be missed, mixed bag from Windass today but he caused plenty problems and was involved in everything. Garner was immense and both wide players were great. Everyone off to Preston next week?!

Really exciting game and really gutsy performance from our lads. You can pick faults but overall it was a brilliant performance from virtually everyone. It's the type of performance where if you won lost or drew you couldn't come away feeling like the lads left anything on the pitch or didn't throw everything into getting the win. Great character and heart from the players and tactically well played by Cook. Today was the type of game you go to football for - it's been a great day and you know a bad day is just around the corner in football so we should all make the absolute most of it. They did us and themselves proud today.

Most players did very well but I think 3 special mentions.

Garner was immense and considering he was up against 2 centre half's who on paper are 2 of the best in the air across the whole league and both about a foot taller than him - he ran the pair ragged and as often the case when our striker wins his battle the whole team works so well. It must have been his best Latics performance so far - Kieffer Moore's potential arrival seemed to have lit a fire under him. He won't grab the headlines but he did all of the dirty unglamorous stuff that is vital to allow our flair players to play their game.

Windass goes from one extreme to another - he did some really poor silly things but then produced absolute magic ala Powell. Overall today he got better as the game went on and ran Cardiff ragged feeding off Garners knock downs and flick ons - he terrorised them. Also thought he was more physical today and got stuck in a bit more which was always something he needed to improve on.

With the exception of his mistake that played a part in the first goal Evans was outstanding, absolutely everywhere, was getting up for and winning headers and used the ball so well. This was Evans at his absolute best - and there's not much you can say about the goal - it speaks for itself. Classy today.

Considering Cardiff are one of the favourites and we very possibly had a team were maybe 5 or 6 may not start when everyone is fit and integrated into the club properly it spoke volumes about our performance and how far the squad as come in a short space of time. Really great way to kick of the new season.

Kept an eye out for Moore at back of West stand but couldn't see him but Dave Whelan and Shaun Mahoney were both in attendance for anyone who is interested. Always nice to see former players and Big Dave turn up.

Very decent opening day, topsy turvy game. Cardiff were typically dogged and are definitely a Warnock team. Ref eventually probably got the decisions right in regards the bookings, though no doubt if we’d made them with another ref away from home we’d have been down to ten. The main protagonists of the game were the two keepers.

Poor from ours for the first goal, should have done far better with the initial effort. Disappointing as it was nigh on his first piece of action. Etheridge departing was a boost as his replacement was shite. He looked in real discomfort when he went down initially.

It was nice not to see the heads drop after the keeping howler and later penalty miss. Unsure why Windass took that pen, garner didn’t look impressed and wouldn’t even engage with him when he did score. No love lost there it seems. However Windass had a decent game overall and his pace caused them no end of problems. If he could be utilised correctly in the team he will be an asset.

Robinson has a good game, byrne less so. Fox’s experience and leadership is crucial I feel in that backline. In midfield we missed Morsy, will be good to get him back. Saw out the game and a good opening three points. Should be more to come too once the new signings get upto speed and we finish the recruitment.

Interesting to see your comments regarding Garner & Windass I think your rightI don't think they get on.
Last season Windass was subbed for Garner in one game and coming off he totally ignored Garner and Garner turned around and didn't half give him a mouthful.
Personally I think Windass is a bad apple in the barrel

Brilliant game to watch, some similarites to last season's opener. I was thinking at half time if we lose this game but play the same second half i'll go home happy. As the application, commitment and approach was excellent. Couple mistakes here and
there but overall it was a superb performance.

Some player rating's, which of course is each to their own. Just my view of today's game.

Marshall 7 - 1st goal was poor from the midfield and defence, Marshall has always parried shots that bounce in front of him away from goal. Playing the percentages, our player's allowed them to collect the ball twice far to easily. The positioning and marking in that phase of play was our worst moment in today's game. The 1v1 save was excellent, stood tall making Murphy panic and completely put him off. Commanded the box fairly well and started several counter attack's.

Robinson 7.4 - Was great on the overlap. Evans covered him when he went forward. Final ball let him down today in the final third, but he caused them problems and his positive play increased our momentum in the game.

Fox 7 - Made an error near the edge of our box, but set the tone early with a commanding run and played his usual way.

Dunkley 5 - Awful, doesn't bother marking, lost his man at will. Passes went in behind him with regularity. Consistently pumped the ball long even with acres of space around him.

Byrne 6 - Didn't cause as many problem's going forward as Robinson did, also was lazy on their second goal. Let the player run beyond him, Dunk's came across to cover, causing the other two to follow and sweep across the back four allowing Bogle an easy finish. But he had some difficult situation's on the ball with not too many options, he also did well generally defensively apart from their second goal.

Evans 7.8 - Mentioned this early last season, Evan's is a different animal on the left. His technique is base on curve. Playing on the left open's up many more possibilities to his passing and shooting. Was hitting volley passes on his weak foot under pressure and generally a very good game. Got beat in the build up to their first goal. But almost every player defensively got beat at some point during the game. The cover never arrived on that one occasion.

Mcleod 7.2 - Was comfortable, positioning was good. Always in control of the ball, won a couple 50/50 sliding tackles and generally had a very solid game without excelling.

Jacobs 7.8 - Involved a lot first half, similar to last season's start he did really well today. Wasn't running down the wing too often. Instead he was cutting inside regularly from deep and in the final third. Carried the ball well and i was delighted for him when he scored from Windass's deflected freekick.

Windass 8.6 - Excellent performance, ran the channels and in behind their back four. Was a threat on the counter from Marshall's long throws. Was high up the pitch taking up some dangerous positions. Came deeper in the final third a few times and went past player's with ease and also collected the ball in pockets of space. Not a penalty taker though, he's to emotional for that. Need some one who's calm or composed, he changed his running style which show's he play's in the moment rather than a natural training ground routine.

Pilkington 6.5 - Strange one this, i've forgotten his performance. I remember him being involved quite a bit first half, but i can't remember if he did well or not. Completely forgotten how he did today.

Garner 8 - Superb performance from a player i don't rate. He was one of our key performer's today. If he executed the back heel to Windass slightly better i would have gained even more confidence in him, it was so close to being very good. The amount of wasted long ball's hit from Dunkley he did well to win as many header's as he did in the initial phase of our build up in their half. Wasn't capable of winning any in the box though, but he was bailing us out time and again from the long ball's. Generally held the ball up very well against the odds.

Thanks very much.

How did Lowe do in the short amount of time he was on?