Match Thread: Season Opener - Cardiff at Home | Page 6 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Season Opener - Cardiff at Home

I don’t think he’s been particularly great for anyone, but in the face of some fearful abuse from some of the Wigan fans, he always gave everything he had, every game bar none.
You obviously didn't go to Burnley away the game we lost 3-0 (i think) which sent them back to the prem) the lack of effort was disgraceful and he got dogs abuse for it.

After Saturday I would start anyone before Pilkington, as previously said it was a well worked goal, looks like Byrne is getting unjust stick.

After Saturday I would start anyone before Pilkington, as previously said it was a well worked goal, looks like Byrne is getting unjust stick.

So drop Pilkington but dont give Byrne a hard time? I hope Cook has, that fella was out of position more times than the ref blew his whistle, or maybe Cook should pat him on the back and say "Well done same again next week" stick when stick is due bro!

So if Byrne has a bad game we blame Pilkington? If Byrne has a good game it's because of Massey? Byrne is better with a winger that can track back and support him granted, but so is every other player if that's the case. Byrne is very good and anticipating the ball and when on the ball, is composed. He also knows how to time tackles, he is a good player.

But when it comes to defending crossers or a player is running towards him, that is his shortfall, and that is one game he needs to improve on for me, in those situations. Ignoring his weaknesses, and patching it up by using a winger to support him will sacrifice alot of attacking threat on the right wing, especially when both Massey and Byrne worse attacking traits are crossing the ball, in my opinion.

After watching the highlights back Dunkley was at fault more then anyone for both goals. First goal he was second to his man after the keeper parries the initial shot allowing an easy cross for the opening goal. Then Byrne goes out to close Mendez Liang and Dunkley doesn't recognize this and allows Bobby Reid to run off him in behind. Giving him 10 yards of space to cross before closing him down. Not to mention their best chance of the game came when Dunkley was marking thin air, allowing Bobby Reid 10 yards of free space in front of him for a simple pass to feet and time to turn for a free shot on goal, which he put past the post but should of scored easily.

But the worst part of his performance was turning over possession consistently, i have no problem with a defender taking route 1 under pressure, or a diagonal ball to a open winger or a ball in behind. But even with all the time in the world on the ball he hit's it straight to a marked forward. Doesn't attempt to build the play the majority of the time, instead just gives the ball straight back to them.

To really highlight his lack of awareness, positioning and marking here's the Leeds highlight's. 5 second's in he give's Bamford an easy header in the box, 6 seconds in he's fallen asleep and forgotten about marking Bamford, ball watching. 9 seconds in Bamford is tapping into an open net completely unmarked, Kipre block's with his body and was sent off. 36 seconds cross comes in but Dunkley doesn't realize the player has crossed the ball, he's still retreating allowing Bamford an easy first touch, by the time he closes down due to the lack of marking he's past him putting the ball in the back of the net. 1 minute 15, another cross to Bamford's feet with Dunkley 5-10 yards off off him. That's just from a minute of defensive highlight's, he's doing this all game every game.

Byrne seems to play better with Massey ahead of him. Pilkington didn't really do much defensively on Saturday to help Byrne, but Massey seems to do more in that area.

Massey does more going both ways, better movement off the ball and better support for the fullback.

After watching the highlights back Dunkley was at fault more then anyone for both goals. First goal he was second to his man after the keeper parries the initial shot allowing an easy cross for the opening goal. Then Byrne goes out to close Mendez Liang and Dunkley doesn't recognize this and allows Bobby Reid to run off him in behind. Giving him 10 yards of space to cross before closing him down. Not to mention their best chance of the game came when Dunkley was marking thin air, allowing Bobby Reid 10 yards of free space in front of him for a simple pass to feet and time to turn for a free shot on goal, which he put past the post but should of scored easily.

But the worst part of his performance was turning over possession consistently, i have no problem with a defender taking route 1 under pressure, or a diagonal ball to a open winger or a ball in behind. But even with all the time in the world on the ball he hit's it straight to a marked forward. Doesn't attempt to build the play the majority of the time, instead just gives the ball straight back to them.

To really highlight his lack of awareness, positioning and marking here's the Leeds highlight's. 5 second's in he give's Bamford an easy header in the box, 6 seconds in he's fallen asleep and forgotten about marking Bamford, ball watching. 9 seconds in Bamford is tapping into an open net completely unmarked, Kipre block's with his body and was sent off. 36 seconds cross comes in but Dunkley doesn't realize the player has crossed the ball, he's still retreating allowing Bamford an easy first touch, by the time he closes down due to the lack of marking he's past him putting the ball in the back of the net. 1 minute 15, another cross to Bamford's feet with Dunkley 5-10 yards off off him. That's just from a minute of defensive highlight's, he's doing this all game every game.

Brilliant analysis. I would just go with Fox and Kipré from now on. Kipré is younger and has more potential, and he had a good preseason.

Brilliant analysis. I would just go with Fox and Kipré from now on. Kipré is younger and has more potential, and he had a good preseason.

I'm not overly keen on either Kipre or Dunkley to be honest, Fox yes definitely, its a bit like being between a rock and a hard place with them two, thats why the priority now should be another centre half before the window closes, Kipre and Dunkley can be used as back ups.

I'm not overly keen on either Kipre or Dunkley to be honest, Fox yes definitely, its a bit like being between a rock and a hard place with them two, thats why the priority now should be another centre half before the window closes, Kipre and Dunkley can be used as back ups.

I know what you mean, and neither Kipré nor Dunkley were brilliant last season. I do think that Kipré has the potential to be a top centre back in this league though. He has a lot of the attributes needed for success and I think he'll be better for the year of experience that he's had in this league. If we do get a centre half who's better than him then obviously we should play the new signing, but personally I don't think we'll get anyone much better than Kipré.

That is how I saw it - people want to put the boot in on Byrne but he's a lot better than our fans give him credit for. Dunkley is big, tough and quick - he can give up a yard. His concentration wanes and he's done in the half spaces too easily.

I don't want to tear into Chey because he's a solid pro, faced up one on one he's very good and when he plays well, he is solid and a fair bit better than some of the centre halves we've had over the years. However, if he's to truly reach his potential, he's got to get his game together this season and into next, or I see him going back to League 1.

Emeka Obi looked very good in preseason, as did Kipre; I'd be happy to see Obi on the bench and given 20 minutes, to get his eye in on the Championship.