Match Thread: Season Opener - Cardiff at Home | Vital Football

Match Thread: Season Opener - Cardiff at Home

FrancosLoveChild

Vital Football Hero
Looks like the right time to have the first match thread of the season, meltdowns, heaty match discussion, venting frustration about the match, how we missed football.

Morsy wont feature and is out due to a hamstring injury.

Marshall, Macleod, Lowe, Williams all in line to make their debuts, Robinson will most likely have is second debut, first as a full time wigan player.

Pitch looks lush, lets use it today and not up in the air, crusty already on the pitch.

Most likely 11 - not offical.

Marshall
Byrne Kipre Fox Robinson
Macleod Evans
Pilkington Windass Jacobs
Garner

Lets repeat last seasons opener with a victory today boys, good luck!

It would make sense to bring Lowe on in the second half, seeing though he's probably not had much time to get to know the team. Though I suppose he'll know what Cook wants from him at least...

Looks like the right time to have the first match thread of the season, meltdowns, heaty match discussion, venting frustration about the match, how we missed football.

Morsy wont feature and is out due to a hamstring injury.

Marshall, Macleod, Lowe, Williams all in line to make their debuts, Robinson will most likely have is second debut, first as a full time wigan player.

Pitch looks lush, lets use it today and not up in the air, crusty already on the pitch.

Most likely 11 - not offical.

Marshall
Byrne Kipre Fox Robinson
Macleod Evans
Pilkington Windass Jacobs
Garner

Lets repeat last seasons opener with a victory today boys, good luck!

Good call on the first 11, Dunks in. I would of preferred Kipre

Brilliant, on me jollies so had to follow via bet365 app.
Excellent start , looking forward to reading the forum later

Got to say, I have not seen Evans have a peformance like this since his loan spell, looked to have more freedom in a deeper role, and scored a beauty!

Macleod surprised me today aswell, quite tidy. Robinson or Windass are man of the match for me though, Marshall did very well too, except the first goal.

everyone played their part today, and did well, just the two moments for the goals were very sloppy, especially the second goal. How a donkey like Bogle had that much space and was onside was huge.

all in all, a cracking game, end to end stuff, 100 mile an hour. fantastic, the type of games we all love to see! Onwards to Preston!

Having watched the replay Marshall wasn't as bad as I thought for their first goal.
He did well to palm away the first effort but straight to one of their players who should have been picked up by a defender.
Still a poor goal to give away but Marshall not as bad as I thought watching it live.
Thought Evans was MOM for me but decent performances all around with the odd bit of poor play, but it is the first game of the season.
All in all a good game to watch, especially in the second half when we changed tactics to run at them rather than putting crosses in all the time.
They were a big physical side who tried, and succeeded in the first half, to bully us.
Pity about the penalty miss, but Windass made amends for it and as we well know better players than he has missed penalties before now.

Agree hindley. Robinson by far best player on the pitch. Just hope he doesn't play like that every week or he may end up going in January!!

I just wish Windass could improve his concentration. He seems to react rather than anticipate. With his speed he could be dealy if he can just improve his awareness of what is going on around him.

I will forgive him for the penalty miss though.

I agree with others it was cracking game in a really good atmosphere.
They were a very physical side and I agree shouldn't have finished with 11 on the field.
Now my beef !! Dunkerly was very shakey and we desperately need a commanding centre back he is not up to this standard. We looked very vulnerable everytime they crossed

Failing that an all round good display hard to pick a mom

What can you say. Well, I can say ... a great performance from everyone except the ref. 2 reds and 1 penalty went missing somewhere. From bottom to top in a day, a feat no other club has managed. Goal of the season already. A good shift put in by everyone. A crackin' atmosphere. A bit of excitement when Kipre decided the only way he may get goal of the season was to try one in to his own net, but I have faith that he was playing safe. A great start, and as we never peak too soon ... just imagine what is to come.

11 MoMs .... no passengers today, but maybe Robinson or Windass scraped the trophy. Jacobs did well. Fox was out foxing them all.

It is blinkin strange innit how a win in a game of football makes you feel so good. Why? I don't gettit.

Well what entertainment I thoroughly enjoyed myself. We were excellent. Ref was a wally though, sure we’ve booed him off before. Really
Ike our posh new tele as well.

I thought joe garner played out of his skin today, I never fancied him when I saw he was up against flint and Morrison but he was a constant pest. He was fantastic they couldn’t handle him he made a right nuisance of himself. Surprised how many headers he managed to win to be honest.

Elsewhere, Macleod looked very neat and tidy indeed and displayed a great passing range, exactly why I wanted us to sign him. Evans goal an absolute belter. He never scored crap goals. Dunkley played very well I thought and with Fox we look so much more assured. Thought windass showed he is best running on to the ball over the top. I think he lacks the know how and creativity to play deeper in the so called Powell role which to me suits pilks who was outstanding as well. Jacobs was a real threat on the break first half. Robinson so reliable we’ve got a superb signing there.

What was going on with that first goal and where was the defence second goal so things to work on.

I think it’s very hard to drop any of them after that so tough for cook next week. Huge win because Cardiff will be up there, shame our rivals won games they also weren’t expecting to.

Thought cook ran rings around Neil warnock tactically, warnocks stubborn dinosaur approach was dealt with with an exciting counter attacking side and then second half credit for using kipre to nullify their big lads further. Big win