Match Thread: Season Opener - Cardiff at Home | Page 5 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Season Opener - Cardiff at Home

I actually wasn't over impressed with Cardiff. They are a big strong bunch of lads but technically not too great. They bullied us a bit 1st half but we matched this 2nd half.

That's the way Warnock likes it Hindley. Bully the opposition into making mistakes. The way to beat them is how we did it in the second half, keep it on the deck and play it around them, they were not quick enough in midfield or at the back to deal with fast paced pass and move.

What are your opinions of Marc-Antoine Fortuné?
Don’t want to derail the thread but I though he was a solid pro and kept himself in shape, but wasn’t a goal scorer or target man, and so didn’t offer a great deal. His best work came running the channels to wind the clock down and see our wins.

He was one of the fittest players in our squad aged 37 or something, which was pretty grim. Fortunately Kevin Bond has come in and looked to really improve our fitness and work rate.

I gather he wasn’t particularly great for Wigan!

Welcome aboard.

I’m glad it was an entertaining fixture for your first outing - but be advised they are not all like that! The ground can be a soulless venue at times, too big for our needs unfortunately. The west is the least lively stand, the east is the most vibrant - particularly the part near the away end. The south is the south, not entirely sure what goes on in there tbh. Given the spaces available I’m sure the club would be accommodating should you wish to change location to find a spot more at home with your needs. Must be a strange feeling watching a new club, hope you and your lad enjoy it.
Thanks!

Definitely used to soulless and grim football so that’s not a concern. Also not really looking for the most lively part of the ground anymore, so the west at the moment seems good.

Thanks!

Definitely used to soulless and grim football so that’s not a concern. Also not really looking for the most lively part of the ground anymore, so the west at the moment seems good.
Did cook get booked ?

We need a new centre back more than we need a striker at this stage. Only one game in and Dunkley has already made a big error directly resulting in their second goal and in addition looked so shaky all afternoon. This is to go along with the 1000 mistakes he made last season.

Always thought Fortune was given a lot more abuse than he deserved. He was quick, strong, worked his arse off, excellent at holder the ball and leading the line. For me he was a decent player in many aspects but he simply didn't have a natural strikers instinct and has never been prolific in his career - he was always the foil for others (a bit like Heskey) to get the goals which he was pretty good at. The issue was we put him up front on his own isolated most of the time pumped long ball at him and expected him to somehow be a player he never was.

In the right team system he could've been a decent player for us but he was probably bought to be played in a 4-4-2 with a prolific strike partner and for various reasons that didn't happen and he wasn't really suited to anything else. Although he gave you what he had.

I'm not saying he was a good signing or that he was good overall I just think Fortune didn't deserve as much stick as he always got.

Always thought Fortune was given a lot more abuse than he deserved. He was quick, strong, worked his arse off, excellent at holder the ball and leading the line. For me he was a decent player in many aspects but he simply didn't have a natural strikers instinct and has never been prolific in his career - he was always the foil for others (a bit like Heskey) to get the goals which he was pretty good at. The issue was we put him up front on his own isolated most of the time pumped long ball at him and expected him to somehow be a player he never was.

In the right team system he could've been a decent player for us but he was probably bought to be played in a 4-4-2 with a prolific strike partner and for various reasons that didn't happen and he wasn't really suited to anything else. Although he gave you what he had.

I'm not saying he was a good signing or that he was good overall I just think Fortune didn't deserve as much stick as he always got.
Totally agree.

We need a new centre back more than we need a striker at this stage. Only one game in and Dunkley has already made a big error directly resulting in their second goal and in addition looked so shaky all afternoon. This is to go along with the 1000 mistakes he made last season.

Thought Byrne was out of position for their 2nd. Dunkley was dragged out wide to cover for the ball over Byrne to the left wing.

Also our new goalkeeper was totally at fault for their 1st. He should have dealt much better with the initial shot but could have been 1st match nerves. He looked solid after this.

Great game on Saturday. I brought my daughter down and she enjoyed it too.
Had a feeling at half time that we would come out 2nd half and show a bit of character and we did.

Thought Byrne was out of position for their 2nd. Dunkley was dragged out wide to cover for the ball over Byrne to the left wing.
Byrne gets caught out. Dunkley wanders over and doest get close enough to block the cross. Fox seems to let Bogle drift into the space where taps it in from. Hopefully they will learn from that quickly

For me both Dunkley and Byrne are not up to this league,both need replacing if we are to move forward.
I felt Byrne got caught out a few times and then Dunkley struggled when pulled out wide to cover for him. Why did Dunkley start over Kipré?

I felt Byrne got caught out a few times and then Dunkley struggled when pulled out wide to cover for him. Why did Dunkley start over Kipré?
I think Dunkley started over Kipre as he is better when there is a big areal threat.
Byrne for some reason kept coming to far inside on Saturday and got caught out with players overlapping. Their second goal was quite well worked and drew our defenders out of the centre where Bogle was waiting unmarked.