Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Lincoln City | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Lincoln City

He's signed 4 midfield type players no one made I assume?
If knew he needed players in other areas why bring in so many in one area? Confused season ticket holder.

He's signed 4 midfield type players no one made I assume?
If knew he needed players in other areas why bring in so many in one area? Confused season ticket holder.
you sign the players you want when they become available. you don't necessarily sign them in a convenient gk, then defender, then midfielder, then striker order.
we are still in pre-season.
the window is open until september 2.
why not judge the balance of the squad at the end of the transfer window? when the assembly is complete.

you sign the players you want when they become available. you don't necessarily sign them in a convenient gk, then defender, then midfielder, then striker order.
why not judge the balance of the squad at the end of the transfer window? when the assembly is complete.

A good point well made.

I'm not judging he's the one who's unhappy.
I know there's a good while left.
Saying we're going to get relegated isn't the best message to send out.
Sounds like a classic Danny rant to get a reaction from everyone to everybody together.

Should we be expecting a forest player or two to be joining after the game?
Walker is out of favour, maybe a defender too?

Ideally the balance of the squad should be about right for the first game of the season - there are about 21 points available between the first game and the beginning of Sept - and we need to make an impact early on if we are to be in a challenging position towards the top of the table.

Not if a couple of weeks later, for example, you "don’t think we can afford a centre-half if I’m honest". Let alone another striker.

If this was the case why blow the budget on fairly high profile creative midfielders?

Which is why I think it's bluster.

Ideally the balance of the squad should be about right for the first game of the season - there are about 21 points available between the first game and the beginning of Sept - and we need to make an impact early on if we are to be in a challenging position towards the top of the table.
i agree, in the ideal world. but the better championship and premier loans will mostly become available after august 3. waiting a week or two might benefit the squad for 8 months, so overall would it be a better decision to wait?

we just need a decent 11, ideally with 7 subs for game one. we are v close to that.

August 8th at 5pm the transfer window closes for the top 2 divisions.
Muddle through the Accrington game?

I think that’s right David, we’ll muddle through the Accy game a then hopefully some more movement. The Shackell red card has come back to bite us!

I believe very little Cowley says in relation to budgets and recruitment. Everything will be said for a purpose and we are/he is not as badly off as he wants people to believe

I think that’s right David, we’ll muddle through the Accy game a then hopefully some more movement. The Shackell red card has come back to bite us!
Our favourite ref strikes again and wasn't even in charge of the game at Carlisle!
Shackell definitely has a short fuse, he was pushing his luck on Wednesday.

With no sign of Freck or OConnor being anywhere near fit to play games yet it’s a good job DC has signed quality and quantity midfield players.
In the Stoke and Scunthorpe games our weakness has been our left side. Chapman and Grant look lightweight, lack strength and mobility and leave Toffolo exposed, that should be our biggest concern. In both games we’ve looked a better shape when Pett has come in to help Morrell and allowed Payne to play further forward closer to Akinde. Switching from a flat 4,3,3 to a 4,2,3,1 looked a lot better. If we go with that Anderson and Andrade are the best 2 wide men, Grant looks way behind them and has a lot of work to do not to end up as the next JMD.

Already touched on in an earlier post but if things are that tight, then DC shouldn't have signed 3 (potentially 4, with Grant) CM's.

DC himself said they had started talking L1 and L2 budgets earlier in the year so he'll have roughly known what he had got to play with back then. He's got rid of Wilson and Rhead (presumably to free up wages for those areas). So I don't think DC's stupid enough to spend his budget and leave us in a situation where we're only going to run overly short (bar maybe cover in one of the full back areas). Nor do I think he's stupid enough to have expected a massive jump in the budget considering we won't have been paying peanuts last season either.

I think in the main part he's spent the summer playing everything down on purpose going into underdog mode as he likes but he's in danger of coming a bit 'Mourinho' IMO. There's been very little positivity coming from him this pre-season, which is unusual. If it's not the budget, it's the training ground. If it's not the training ground it's squad injuries because of having to use the 4G more than he'd like. I don't think the negative tone he's taken on this pre-season is necessarily the way to go, particularly heading into our first foray into L1 for 20 years, and goes against his usual positive nature.

We don't need reminded in every interview that we can't pay the top wages in this league. We know that. Likewise we might be losing more games than we're used to this season. We know that, too. Etc etc.

Luke, Grant isn’t a CM and neither is Payne really and the latest young lad is possibly heading out on loan. Morrell looks the only genuine CM that DC has acquired this summer. With OConner and Freck injured, Pett an injury concern and Chapman looking more Youth team than 1st team we aren’t as well off in CM as you think. Grant and Payne are more of a replacement for McCartan and Rowe.