Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Lincoln City | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Lincoln City

Ideally the balance of the squad should be about right for the first game of the season - there are about 21 points available between the first game and the beginning of Sept - and we need to make an impact early on if we are to be in a challenging position towards the top of the table.
“Ideally” being the operative word, but we live in a footballing world that is skewed heavily to those with ready funds, and not being as flush with cash as a fair few, we have to take our place in line, which pushes us towards Sep 2. Unless we are prepared to take less quality to make up the numbers now. I’d rather wait ‘til the players are available.

Luke, Grant isn’t a CM and neither is Payne really and the latest young lad is possibly heading out on loan. Morrell looks the only genuine CM that DC has acquired this summer. With OConner and Freck injured, Pett an injury concern and Chapman looking more Youth team than 1st team we aren’t as well off in CM as you think. Grant and Payne are more of a replacement for McCartan and Rowe.
Fair points. I'm just not convinced things are as tight as DC is making out. Grant, Morrell and Payne are, on paper, good signings in their positions but you can't get those players in, and pay the wages they may command, and then lament (perhaps too strong a word) a lack of budget to fill other areas.

I'm not doubting DC will pull a rabbit out of the hat, and perhaps later into August given the change of the transfer window date, but this budget talk is becoming a little tiring.