Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Lincoln City | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Lincoln City

Luke, Grant isn’t a CM and neither is Payne really and the latest young lad is possibly heading out on loan. Morrell looks the only genuine CM that DC has acquired this summer. With OConner and Freck injured, Pett an injury concern and Chapman looking more Youth team than 1st team we aren’t as well off in CM as you think. Grant and Payne are more of a replacement for McCartan and Rowe.

We are 1 centre back and 2 strikers away from a complete squad

Interesting he mentioned 4 young ones.

Adebayo-Smith, Bradley, chapman and ???

Does this mean we have signed centre back we had on trial or am I missing someone.

I think the transfer market at our level is a game of brinkmanship. Who's brave enough? Connfident enough that they've done their research? They know what they need and they know what's out there. You move too early and you blow your money on a lower standard of player. You wait and wait, stay calm, stay patient and eventually you'll be rewarded as others press the panic button and things start moving. In the meantime you make sure your rivals know as little about you as possible, your budget, your targets etc.

To my mind this is how DC is playing it and his track record gives me the confidence that he'll get it right again.

I think the transfer market at our level is a game of brinkmanship. Who's brave enough? Connfident enough that they've done their research? They know what they need and they know what's out there. You move too early and you blow your money on a lower standard of player. You wait and wait, stay calm, stay patient and eventually you'll be rewarded as others press the panic button and things start moving. In the meantime you make sure your rivals know as little about you as possible, your budget, your targets etc.

To my mind this is how DC is playing it and his track record gives me the confidence that he'll get it right again.
All about who blinks first isn't it?

As77 forget to add the last ‘s’ on his username, saying we have let our best striker go ?.

I do wonder if people even watch football, before spouting off.

He wouldn't have had any of these probs if he'd gone to......WBA, Middlesbro, Donny, Hull, Real Madrid, Blackpool, Spartack Wherever,............
well he would, because he would have spread whatever wage budget thickly over a small squad. Eventually which ever team it is will become a little fish in a big pond. Except Real Madrid.

Coker has been here all pre season I believe but needed to get fit wasn't it?
Think transfers in the top 2 divisions will go into overdrive especially in championship if they get walloped on the opening weekend.

Already touched on in an earlier post but if things are that tight, then DC shouldn't have signed 3 (potentially 4, with Grant) CM's.

DC himself said they had started talking L1 and L2 budgets earlier in the year so he'll have roughly known what he had got to play with back then. He's got rid of Wilson and Rhead (presumably to free up wages for those areas). So I don't think DC's stupid enough to spend his budget and leave us in a situation where we're only going to run overly short (bar maybe cover in one of the full back areas). Nor do I think he's stupid enough to have expected a massive jump in the budget considering we won't have been paying peanuts last season either.

I think in the main part he's spent the summer playing everything down on purpose going into underdog mode as he likes but he's in danger of coming a bit 'Mourinho' IMO. There's been very little positivity coming from him this pre-season, which is unusual. If it's not the budget, it's the training ground. If it's not the training ground it's squad injuries because of having to use the 4G more than he'd like. I don't think the negative tone he's taken on this pre-season is necessarily the way to go, particularly heading into our first foray into L1 for 20 years, and goes against his usual positive nature.

We don't need reminded in every interview that we can't pay the top wages in this league. We know that. Likewise we might be losing more games than we're used to this season. We know that, too. Etc etc.

I would agree with much of this. The only thing I would disagree is that while the majority do n’t need reminding of the realities of being Lincoln in L1 this season, there are certainly a good number that will need reminding regularly and often.

Probably better to bore the majority than leave a vocal minority living in the expectation of promotion come May.