Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City | Page 32 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Portsmouth v Lincoln City

Doesn't look like feet off the ground on the sky replay there. His right foot is at a right angle with studs firmly planted in the ground for one!!!

Makepeace on commentary tonight on Radio Lincs, Quite good at knowing Pompey players, watched iFollow when I could, pleased I couldn't see the last ten mins.

Forgive me if I am repeating what others have said so far as I have not had time to read all the comments. What a massive result this is and the manner in which the team played was so impressive. The tactics before the Portsmouth player was sent off were very good and then afterwards showed what a well drilled and coached side we are. The way the team stretched the play from side to side using the full width of the field was the perfect way to play against ten men opponents. The number of Imp players into the box and the movement off the ball had Portsmouth struggling to contain the attacks at time. The coach journey home for the players would have been something special and Appleton will keep everyones feet on the ground and prepared for the next huge challenge on Saturday. With Hull losing as well this has been the perfect end to the half way point in the season.

Had a sleep and a reflect on the game. Just wow! They certainly started off brilliantly and played some beautiful football at times. Would have been a bit of an eye-opener to Pompey if they were expecting a similar performance to the first game. The red card changed the game but, for me the referee’s control was interesting. He dished out a couple of yellow cards before the red and initially I thought he was being a bit harsh. Still not convinced it was a red as I initially thought the Pompey defender had got the ball and caught Grant on the follow-through, but the camera angle was on the wrong side so I have to go with the ref. I thought we actually played better against 11 men as our game is based on opening up attacking sides, but once Whatmough was sent off they packed the defence which really denied the space for our natural game and we resorted to shots from outside the area for a while. Luckily we scored a really well-worked goal (though we could have had at least another one with McGrandles header and Edun’s shot which the Pompey defender and keeper did brilliantly to deny). Got a bit worried for the last 10 minutes as they battled superbly to try and get something out of the game but luckily we held out, particularly with McGrandles header off the line. I got really anxious a few times (you couldn’t tell from my thread comments could you 😳🙄🤪 - must stop reacting like that 😡). What annoyed me was not using the space of the extra player to keep possession and play the short simple ball to feet instead of hurried clearances which had the ball coming back at us. Bridcutt was great, but how did he not get at least one yellow card for his persistant fouls, which could have evened things up and made life a lot more difficult for us. Grant was superb, but again (like Saturday) I felt his passing and dead ball game were just not quite on song. Finally, a word to Sean Raggett, who I thought was superb and their Mom. Reminded me of some of the games he played for us and how he earned a move to Norwich. Overall, a terrific result against probably our biggest challengers for the title (did I really say that 🤔) and should give the lads a real confidence booster for coming games. Come on you Imps (sorry Barney 😜).

1980 in the old Div 4, Portsmouth were top and brought several thousand which made for a big crowd, great atmosphere and a nice goal from a young Phil Turner to win it 1-0 for the Imps, regrouping under Murph in mid table before better things the next season.
I can recall that day.A great occasion. Pompey fans were awesome. The bank erupted when Turner scored .

Agreed, he pulls out of the challenge. If he hadn’t there would be no complaints but he does pull his legs away.

My reading is that Grant gets to the ball first, pushes it right, Whatmough is going to ground and the ball hits him in the midriff/left arm (which is why he ends up with it) and he takes out Grant with his legs. He doesn't get the ball by tackling it and wipes out the man. Whatmough was also the last defender and Grant would have been through one on one with the keeper (the right back is further back, but 20 yards away and the other three players are behind Grant on the left and only draw level with him when he hits the deck) . It may have been clumsy, rather than malicious, but it was definitely a foul and definitely prevented a goal-scoring opportunity. In those circumstances it is a 50/50 choice for the Ref as to whether it was a Red or a Yellow and he was perfectly positioned to make the call.